D.O. recommendation advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bostongirl22

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was wondering what your opinions are on this. I am shadowing a D.O. this weekend for the first time, and plan on asking him to write me a letter of rec., since two of the schools I've applied to require it. I know it is kind of last minute but I've never known any D.O.'s in the past. Well anyways, I was wondering how I should go about asking him...Do you think I should wait until the end of the day then ask, or call him a couple of days later? I guess I just don't want him to think my whole purpose of being there was to get him to write me a letter. Any advice would be great!
Thanks,
Shannon

Members don't see this ad.

I had the same situation. What I did was-I showed great interest while shadowing-naming a few big bones on the radiographs, asked about diagnosis he just made (Emergency doc) and asked what school he went to...Basicly let him know I was truly interested and, then during a lull at the end of his shift I popped the question. He said sure...easy as that. I even went so far as to tell him a couple schools were just waiting for my D.O. letter-might have been a little agressive, but true!

If you have secondaries in hand, some schools have eval sheets for D.O.'s, you might get lucky if you show up with these and stamped envelopes to have them mailed that day! I would definately ask that day and not wait. I was scared he would procrastinate...I did schedule another shadow session before I asked. again, to show interest.

I would send a thank you the next day-just a post card or something...
good luck!

Thanks for the advice, hopefully it will go as smoothly for me as it did for you!