D.O. residencies for Canadians in the US

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by king, Feb 4, 1999.

1. king

king Junior Member

Hi everyone. I have just been informed by a D.O. resident here in Cleveland that it was very difficult for foreign students, even if they have studied in a U.S. osteopathic school, to obtain a residency here in the USA. Is this true? I would appreciate any input. Thanks

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. justwannabadoc

justwannabadoc Senior Member

Any graduate of a non-U.S. medical school will indeed have a harder time landing a residency. DO residencies from what I understand are open only to DO graduates. MD programs will take US graduates over IMGs for a few reasons:
    1) no matter how well you perform on the boards, there is always the fear that your medical education may not meet their standards which is understandable since the medical education varies considerably throughout the world
    2) legal issues: similar to (1), because you are an IMG, there is the fear that IMGs in a US residency may be more susceptible to litigation because their medical training is more "suspect"
    3) bias: why take an IMG if you can take someone from the good old US?

4. 2003

2003 Senior Member

King, I don't think your question was answered. If you are Canadian and get into a U.S. school you can get a residency without much trouble. However, after completing your training you must leave the country and go back to Canada. Some people get this requirement waived by going to work in an area of need.

If you graduate from a Canadian medical school (MD program) you will also not have a problem landing a ACGME residency in the U.S. -- I know lots of people who have done this. That is because Canadian schools are LCME-accredited (you are NOT considered an IMG). I hope that helps. Feel free to ask more.

5. king

king Junior Member

2003, thanks for the guidance.

King

6. prefontaine

prefontaine Senior Member

Attending Physician
    Canadian medical students (LCME)have poorer match rates in the NRMP than DOs. In fact, they do slightly worse than the Universidad Autonoma de Guadalajara. For whatever reason(s) residency directors do not weigh all LCME schools the same, ie students from the Canadian and PR schools do not do as well in the match. Graduates of US DO/MD schools are considered US grads, even if they are not US citizens and generally do not have a problem finding a position. In previous years, US LCME students have a 90+% ACGME match rate, DO students ~70%, Canadian LCME students <70%. IMHO, it is not 'very difficult' for a non-US citizen DO student to find a residency position.

BTW, what does 'justwannabadoc's' response have to do with 'King's' question? When you take exams, do you read the question before answering or just go ahead and answer? D'oh!

7. 2003

2003 Senior Member

Canadians going through the NRMP is not that common and it selects for poorer students. The way The CaRMS match works allows Canadians to register in the Canadian match and U.S. match and if they are matched in the Canadian match their NRMP application is withdrawn. If they can't match to a Canadian program how can we expect them to have a high match rate in a U.S. program?!? On the flipside, people who finish Canadian residencies have a better chance at landing U.S. fellowships than people completing a U.S. residency. Interesting... I asked the pediatric neurosurgeon at the O.R. I work at (he trained at Hopkins) and he said he though it was because (at least in surgery) because the Canadian residents cut earlier, and log more cases. I don't know if he is right on why but it was his though on the subject.

8. Ibn Alnafis MD

Resident [Any Field]
    At first, I thought you were paid by Ross to come here and bash DO schools. Now I started to doubt that because you are doing a really terrible job at it.

9. Dreamstoo

Medical Student
    My father is a MD and I'm proud to say he isn't as arrogant as you. He has worked with DOs and MDs and has no discrimination towards DOs. Please refrain from overloading our pre-osteopathic forum with your opinions that can be seen as offensive.

10. Ibn Alnafis MD

Resident [Any Field]
    Where in the West Indies do you practice?

Jdubbss21 likes this.
  11. Dreamstoo

Medical Student
    Please do not offend my father and my conversation with you is over. Have a good night sir.

12. Mr Kenobi

Mr Kenobi Jedi Member

Sup

NontradCA and th3v3rn like this.
  13. th3v3rn

Medical Student
    You're a woman, nothing about you is leading me to believe that you are a "Lady." I'd definatly not be holding any doors for you...

bionerd89 likes this.
  14. medickdb

Medical Student
    Don't worry. His or her English skills were terrible for an "attending physician". It was simply some ignorant, uneducated troll.

15. darklabel

darklabel PGWhy

Resident [Any Field]
    On a more serious note, don't Canadians pretty much have to go to an ACGME residency in order to be able to head back to Canada as well as have a visa sponsored by the program?

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. Mr Kenobi

Mr Kenobi Jedi Member

who cares

eh?