Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

D.O.s and international medicine

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by praha12, Oct 3, 2001.

1. praha12

praha12 Junior Member

I heard a rumor that D.O.s cannot practice internationally. Is this true? If so, why?
    Thanks.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. sport

sport Senior Member

I was talking to a DO and it was true that a DO does not have the same crededentials when traveling abroad. In England, a DO is roughly the same as a chiropractor, that is they are not fully trained in medicine just in manipulation. Therefore, they have a restricted license. There are a few other countries that way, from what I hear. However, I think if you work under the umbrella of an international organization, such as Doctors Without Borders, it makes no difference if you are a DO or not.
    If anyone has any different information I would like to know. :)

4. Sugar72

Sugar72 Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    There is a program called DOCARE where DO's and DO students go to other countries for a couple of weeks at a time to run clinics. I know this information does not address your concern, but if you are interested in international medicine the program's organizers would be a good resource. I know one organizer is on staff at AZCOM, but unfortunately I can not remember the name.
    Additionally, I read that PCOM has a pediatrics rotation in Sweden.

5. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Banned
    Banned

Resident [Any Field]
    sport

I do not want to refute what you said, because I do not know 100% myself.

From what I understand, your reply would have been correct about 5 years ago. I think there are now ways that DOs can practice abroad and do have the full rights of a physician, particularly in european countries.

This is a great question and certainly something I would like to learn more about.

Anyone?

6. John DO

John DO A.T. Still Endowed Chair

The borders of other countries are slowly being opened to American-trained DOs, but it requires the sacrifice of the current practicing DOs. One of our clinical instructors has spent the last several years trying to open Balize to DOs; he has been successful in obtaining full practice rights for himself and in acquiring preliminary permission to open a rotation site for supervised students. Caribbean law dictates that if three countries grant practice rights to a specific degree, then all Caribbean countries must. So far, one has granted unlimited practice rights. Balize should in the next few years. We should see the licensure of DOs in the whole Caribbean soon, as a result. Likewise, Australia has granted independent full licensure to a DO; traditionally, this is the proverbial "foot in the door."

The difference is that foreign trained DOs are not medical physicians, often only possessing a 4-year degree, equivalent to an American Bachelor's degree.

7. gabbers22

gabbers22 Member

Just wondering..are the osteopathic schools in the Caribbean?

8. Ramsy

Ramsy Junior Member

The AOA has a report that they could send you upon request...it's about international licensure for osteopaths...it has a list of many countries and states the scope of practice that's permitted in each country.

9. gower

gower 1K Member

For information on practice rights in other countries, ask Mr. Robert Ruiz at AACOM.

[email protected]

10. gower

gower 1K Member

11. praha12

praha12 Junior Member

Thanks for your responses, guys.

12. tBw

tBw totally deluded

If there is a web location for the AOA listing of which countries recognize DOs I would love it if some would post the address...I have done searches on the AOA website but their search engine doesn't seem to work. Thanks

onwis

13. tBw

tBw totally deluded

Well, I wrote to AACOM and this is the reply I got (FYI)...

Thank you for your inquiry regarding licensure for osteopathic physicians. As you can imagine, international licensure is a very complicated and
    varied process. The American Osteopathic Association (AOA) produces an International Licensure Summary, and this summary will probably provide you
    with the most current and reliable information regarding international licensure issues.

For instance, the AOA states in its International Licensure Summary that "Many countries which were or continue to be under British influence adhere
    to Britain's definition of an 'osteopath,' a non-physician health care practitioner who practices only manipulation. Due to the similarity of the
    titles, many of these countries refuse to grant US-trained DO's practice rights beyond the scope of manipulation." This definition obviously differs
    greatly from the definition of a US trained osteopathic physician.

For more information, you should contact the AOA Division of State Government Affairs, 142 East Ontario, Chicago, IL 60611; (800) 621-1773 or visit
    the AOA website at www.aoa-net.org. Thank you for your interest in osteopathic medicine.

Sincerely,

Robert F. Ruiz
    Vice President for Application Services
    American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine