D.O.s and International Work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Xswim57

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am curious as to know what the opportunities are for D.O.s to engage in international work through various organizations (Doctors without Borders, International Red Cross). Are D.O.s limited? I understand that only certain countries allow D.O.s to practice, but I was unsure as to whether or not this applied to the work in underserved areas through international organizations. Have any medical students encountered any resistance when seeking to do work in another country (esp. developing)? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Xswim57 said:
Hi everyone,

I am curious as to know what the opportunities are for D.O.s to engage in international work through various organizations (Doctors without Borders, International Red Cross). Are D.O.s limited? I understand that only certain countries allow D.O.s to practice, but I was unsure as to whether or not this applied to the work in underserved areas through international organizations. Have any medical students encountered any resistance when seeking to do work in another country (esp. developing)? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Check the stickie up top for International Practice Rights.

However, keep this in mind - International Practice Rights is for physicians who want a full unrestricted license to practice in the country. If you want to work for a relief organization, then usually you don't need to seek individual temporarily license from countries themselves ... it's all worked through the agency.

Also remember, in 3rd world countries with a severe shortage of healthcare personnel, beggers can't be choosers.

And yes, US-trained DOs can work with Doctors Without Borders (Medecins Sans Frontieres)

Does MSF consider Doctors of Osteopathy?
Yes, as long as applicants fulfill the other minimum requirements, i.e. completion of residency and appropriate licensure.

http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/volunteer/field/faq.cfm#osteo

I just came back from a medical mission in a country in Asia. The founders are DO's. They have come there for many years. If a DO wants to live and practice there, I don't know how it will turn out, but for humanitarian mission, it's alright.

Xswim57 said:
Hi everyone,

It's been posted a couple of times already, but there's a thread containing International D.O. Practice Rights floating around on SDN somewhere. I don't think there's generally too many problems with serving in developing countries...usually they're just happy to get physicians, period. I just got back from a medical mission to Vietnam and the group I went with normally has a DO Emergency doc (not this time though). Like Nick said, I don't think there should be too many problems with short-time work - it's long term residency that might be problematic.