• Scariest Story Contest

Now that it's getting close to Halloween, we're running a contest to hear your scariest stories! These can be scary stories that you've experienced or stories that you've heard and the story with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

D.O.'s can't delivery babies without M.D. present?

Radman

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2004
  1. Resident [Any Field]
    I was just on the NSU onofficial website. A student claimed that DO's could specialize in OB/GYN but could not deliver babies or episiotomies without a MD present. I have never heard of anything like this before.

Radman

7+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    Jan 15, 2004
    1. Resident [Any Field]
      Thanks for your reply DrMom.

I didn't think it would be possible. How would you possibly have something like this in place when the educations are virtually the same. AND, why those two procedures? I have been in the medical field for a long time, and have never heard of any restrictions for DOs.

About the Ads

tkim

10 cc's cordrazine
      15+ Year Member
      Aug 2, 2002
      New England
      1. Attending Physician
        Originally posted by Radman
        I was just on the NSU onofficial website. A student claimed that DO's could specialize in OB/GYN but could not deliver babies or episiotomies without a MD present. I have never heard of anything like this before. What do you know? Any comments appreciated.

Which site is this?

that is total BS. i worked with on OG/GYN and she would laugh if she heard that. where do people come up with these things. what part of "DOs can do anythign that MDs can don't people comprehend"?

i am appaled that a DO student would say something like that on the NSU unofficial website

DSM

7+ Year Member
        15+ Year Member
        Sep 25, 2003
        in da lounge...where else?
        www.cyburbia.org
          Originally posted by Radman
          I was just on the NSU onofficial website. A student claimed that DO's could specialize in OB/GYN but could not deliver babies or episiotomies without a MD present. I have never heard of anything like this before. What do you know? Any comments appreciated.

Many, many moons ago in a time long beyond........I went to a DO when I was pregnant. He would have delivered my baby but I had to have a C Section due to a breech birth....The only reason he did not do it himself was because HIS INSURANCE would not cover him. He had chosen not to deliver babies by C section on his own due to insurance premiums. That was 18 years ago:laugh:

DrQuinn

My name is Neo
          Moderator Emeritus
          10+ Year Member
          15+ Year Member
          Dec 6, 2000
          Wisconsin
            Agree with all. I don't know who told you this but its a bunch of false information.

BTW, deepsouth, how did you get that picture of you and I as your avatar? I thought you promised not to share those digital pictures!

Q, DO

Dave81

7+ Year Member
            15+ Year Member
            Jan 26, 2004
            Florida
            1. Medical Student
              The statement is on the message forum on NSU's unoffical website. The person that posted it was trying to explain how ignorant some of the people (his wife's co-workers) are about D.O.s and how he corrected them.

the post goes like this:

I was informed by some of my wife's co-workers that DO's can specialize in OB/GYN if they want, but they MUST have an MD with them and they can't deliver babies on their own without an MD present to oversee. Oh and DO's can't sew episiotomies either...that has to be done by the MD. Seems we learned all that OB stuff for naught Dom. BTW, they finally conceded after I had them read the "what is a DO" blurb on the AOA website.

DSM

7+ Year Member
              15+ Year Member
              Sep 25, 2003
              in da lounge...where else?
              www.cyburbia.org
                Originally posted by QuinnNSU
                Agree with all. I don't know who told you this but its a bunch of false information.

BTW, deepsouth, how did you get that picture of you and I as your avatar? I thought you promised not to share those digital pictures!

Q, DO
                I could not help it....I just had to go public!!!! I will keep the other digital pics private though!! Just you and me!

haujun

15+ Year Member
                Jan 22, 2002
                1. Attending Physician
                  I personally wouldn't give too much weight on a comment of an average joe smith in America. Average intelligence level (math and science) in this country is far below than other countries like in Japan, Korea etc...

About the Ads
                  This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                  7. This thread is locked.