D.O.'s convert to M.D.'s?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gpannu

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, do any of you know if it's possible to convert a D.O. to an M.D.? The reason I ask is because I am aware that D.O's can sit for the USMLE exams. So if a D.O. student passed would that mean the individual could become an M.D.?

I am deciding between applying to a D.O. school and a foriegn school. I'd like to attend the D.O. because it's in the U.S. and it's closer to my home country: Canada. Furthermore, if I had to accept the sad fact of never returning home to Canada than i'd rather live in the U.S. now instead of going the foriegn route.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

The USMLE has nothing to do with what degree you end up with. That is determined by the school you attend.

I don't know of any way to "convert" from MD to DO, although someone else out there may have some info. Rather than looking for a way to "convert," I recommend that you check into osteopathic philosophy & specific schools you are interested in. Make (reasonably) sure that you'd be happy with your education and the school (especially since you'll be spending 4 years there). If you'd be happy, then great; if not, look elsewhere for your medical education.

BTW:
Some Canadian provinces fully license DOs. The info below is quite old, but it will give you some idea:

Canada
Year of Last Request: 1996
Listed below are the licensure requirements for US-trained D.O.s in the provinces and territories of Canada. All the provinces that have provisions for licensing D.O.s as physicians require that D.O.s be graduates of AOA-accredited osteopathic medical colleges and that they be or intend to become Canadian citizens. Although four of Canada?s provinces and both of its territories do not have provisions for licensing US-trained D.O.s, osteopathic physicians may be able to obtain practice rights on a case-by-case basis.

Alberta
Scope of Practice: unlimited
Requirements: Must have completed at least 2 years of GME accredited by the ACGME and must have passed the Universities Coordinating Council Exam, a basic sciences exam, and have passed all three parts of the licensing examination of the Medical Council of Canada (LMCC).
Contact: College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta, 10180 101st St. No 900, Edmonton, AB T5J 4P8, CANADA (403) 423-4724

British Columbia
Scope of Practice: one licensure pathway provides D.O.s with unlimited practice rights, and anotherpathway limits D.O.s to practice OMM
Requirements: To be eligible for unlimited licenses: must have completed at least one year of GME approved by the AOA or the ACGME, completed at least 1 year of GME in Canada, passed all three parts of the LMCC. For licenses limited to OMM: must have completed at least 2 years of AOA approved GME and passed all three parts of the NBOME.
Contact: College of Physicians and Surgeons of British Columbia, 1807 W. 10th Avenue Vancouver, BC V6J 2A9, CANADA, (604) 733-7758

Manitoba
Scope of Practice: no provisions exist for licensing US-trained D.O.s
Contact: College of Physicians and Surgeons of Manitoba, 494 St. James Street Winnipeg, MN R3G 3J4, CANADA, (204) 774-4344

New Brunswick
Requirements: Must have completed at least 2 years of GME approved by the AOA or the ACGME and have passed all three parts of the LMCC.
Contact: College of Physicians and Surgeons of New Brunswick, 1 Hampston Road, P.O. Box 628 Rothesy, NB E2E 5A7, CANADA, (506) 849-5050

Newfoundland
Scope of Practice: no provisions exist for licensing of US-trained D.O.s
Contact: Newfoundland Medical Board, 139 Water Street, Unit 6, St. John?s, NF A1C 1B2, CANADA (709) 726-8546

Northwest Territories
Contact: Minister of Health and Social Services, Government of the Northwest Territories Yellowknife, NT X1A 2L0, CANADA, (403) 669-2333

Nova Scotia
The AOA wrote asking for reconsideration of the Board?s previous decision. To date, no response has been received.
Contact: Provincial Medical Board of Nova Scotia, 5248 Morris Street, Halifax, NS B3J 1B4, CANADA (902) 422-5823

Ontario
Scope of Practice: limited to OMM
Requirements: Must have completed at least one year of AOA approved GME. In 1993 the Ontario Legislature voted to grant full practice rights to US-trained D.O.s. However, the Ontario Ministry of Health and the province?s medical licensing authority, the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario, have yet to establish the requirements by which US-trained D.O.s can be licensed.
Contact: College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario, 80 College Street, Toronto, ON M5G 2E2, CANADA, (416) 961-1711

Prince Edward Island
Contact: College of Physicians and Surgeons of Prince Edward Island, 199 Grafton Street Charlottetown, PE C1A 1L2, CANADA, (902) 566-3861

Quebec
Requirements: Must have completed at least 1 year of GME approved by the AOA or the ACGME, must have completed at least 1 year of GME in Quebec, passed the written, oral and clinical board examination of the College of Family Physicians of Canada and must speak French fluently.
Contact: College des Medecins du Quebec, 1440 West Rene-Levesque Montreal PQ H3H 2T8, CANADA, (514) 933-4441

Saskatchewan
Scope of Practice: limited to OMM
Requirements: Must have completed at least 1 year of AOA-approved GME.
Contact: College of Physicians and Surgeons of Saskatchewan, G.W. Peacock Building 211 Fourth Avenue, S., Saskatoon, SK S7K 1N1, CANADA,
(306) 244-7355

Yukon Territory
Contact: Yukon Medical Council, PO Box 2703, Whitehorse, YK Y1A 2C6, CANADA
(403) 667-5257

Thanks for all the info. Why would a D.O. want to write the U.S.L.M.E.

As for as am I concerned a D.O. is a doctor just the same as an M.D. Yes, their are differences in philosophy but in the end your a docotor. So for me I wouldn't hesitate to go if I was accepted.