D.O.'s in M.D. residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goblue

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any info. or knowledge of D.O.'s doing M.D. surgical residencies, specifically orthopedics. If so, could you list where they are working and which programs are more receptive to D.O.'s (if known).
Thanks,
MM

Members don't see this ad.

Ortho is very competitive and unless a DO is doing a military residency or is politically connected I'd be surprised to see one at an ACGME residency. I could be wrong...

However, the AOA approved ortho programs are by large pretty good from what I hear. In reality, the only difference between the two is under which board you are eventually certified and who decides the rules and policy about your continuing medical education. Check out some of the AOA programs:

http://opportunities.aoa-net.org/

Beats me why one would struggle hard to do MD residency. I guess you really wanted to be an MD afterall. People like you really give us DOs a bad rap.

Members don't see this ad :)
Gor I believe your assuming to much.

Many DO's do MD residencies. Perhaps goblue is just interested in all the possible avenues to becoming an ortho surgeon.

[This message has been edited by Satellite (edited June 09, 1999).]

To MM,
I know two DO who are doing orthopedic surgery (they teach at Western U), and one of them is starting an Orthopedic surgery residency for the D.O. in CA. His name is Dr. Steinmann, working at Arrowhead Regional Medical Center in Arrowhead Orthopedics. I can give you his number if you e-mail me at [email protected]

pei

Gor said,"Beats me why one would struggle hard for an MD residency..."
The truth is that there aren't enough residency programs for DO students so of course we have to keep all our options open. For example, right now I'm very interested in Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation. There is only 1 DO residency for this specialty and it is in the state of Michigan. This residency is also a joint DO/MD program which means that if I want to become a physiatrist then I will have to compete with MDs whether I like it or not.

[This message has been edited by DO DUDE (edited June 09, 1999).]

The NRMP data book lists the states with DOs in ortho residencies. From memory, it seems like they were primarily in the DO heavy states, eg MI, PA, etc.

The ortho res dir @SUNY-Brooklyn is a DO. Though from my observations, a DO DME in an ACGME program is often LESS likely to accept a DO.

Think of the least likely place that you would like to live and then apply there. Chances are that no one else wants to go there either. Consider Buffalo, Detroit, Newark, etc. Generally speaking, they would rather have a DO than another grad from India or Pakistan.

Personally, I don't know why so many people have a hard on for orthopaedic surgery...must be the big tools.

just off of the top of my head, i remember seeing a '97 CCOM grad matching at Medical College of Georgia in orthopaedics.

Haven't really looked around for DOs in ortho spots, but i would not be too surprised to see them here and there in some relatively "shi-shi" spots.

I think people want to get into ortho because you can make a lot of money. Plus, it is one of the few specialties that still thrives even though managed care is intertwined with the number of patients seen.

EDGAR

I can at least say that my interest in ortho developed after spending 6 months shadowing two ortho docs, both in clinic and OR. Another plus is that very few patients are going to die on your table.

One of the reasons why I am interested in doing an MD residency is because I have yet to hear of a DO ortho residency anywhere in the southeast, where I am from and would like to live. Does anyone know if one exists in this area or if one is planned. The California ortho residency mentioned above sounds interesting.
Also, according to Isserson's book, approximately 25 osteopaths got in MD programs for ortho in 1995 (less than 1% of positions). I wonder where these programs are, chances are they are nowhere near the south.