D.O.'s interested in surgery.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ifellinapothole

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just checked out NYCOM's match list and was unimpressed with how few (3 out of 150 or so) are going into surgery. What up? Is that b/c so many D.O. students don't want to go into surgery or is b/c they can't get residencies?

I mean: aren't there NY area D.O. surgery spots (ortho in particular?)

Thanks,

and pardon my ignorance.

Members don't see this ad.

i don't know -- it could be an interest issue because people attracted to the whole holistic aspect of osteopathy might not like surgery. however, my brother works with a surgeon who's a d.o., and i come across lots of general surgery and orthoped d.o.s in my job, so it's certainly doable.

exlawgrrl said:
i don't know -- it could be an interest issue because people attracted to the whole holistic aspect of osteopathy might not like surgery. however, my brother works with a surgeon who's a d.o., and i come across lots of general surgery and orthoped d.o.s in my job, so it's certainly doable.

I know a lot of DO's in Surgery in northern california... and I am also interested in DO-surgery but I just think that maybe the majority of DO's are more interested in family practice (ect.)... not surgery... but I could be wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ifellinapothole said:
I just checked out NYCOM's match list and was unimpressed with how few (3 out of 150 or so) are going into surgery. What up? Is that b/c so many D.O. students don't want to go into surgery or is b/c they can't get residencies?

I mean: aren't there NY area D.O. surgery spots (ortho in particular?)

Thanks,

and pardon my ignorance.

the DO profession attracts those interested in primary care. Poke around some of the COM websites- many say how they are looking for students that want to do primary care- family medicine, ob/gyn, peds, etc.

Realize that many of those matches listed as "traditional internships" are actually pgy-1 surgical internships.

For a more accurate representation of how NYCOM tends to do in the surgery match try looking at last years match list with the updated pgy-2 information.

Though that may have previously been true, that is changing.

I have no interest in family practice or primary care and I made that crystal clear at my interviews.

Buckeye(OH) said:

I have no interest in family practice or primary care and I made that crystal clear at my interviews.

just parrotting what the schools say. of course it's not ONLY primary care.

Buckeye(OH) said:

did that make your interviews more difficult?

Buckeye(OH) said:

There have long been DO students who weren't interested in primary care, but still the majority lean that way. Even though many of the schools have a *primary care mission* they recognize that not everyone is going to follow suit. It is good to be honest in the interviews either way. At my school, not only is primary care a big thing, but rural medicine is emphasized. At my interview I said that I would consider primary care, but that there was no possibility of my going into a rural practice.

In my class of 90, there are around 5 I know of going into general surgery. Add in a couple of ortho along with an optho and ENT or two.

not if you're interviewing with me :)

I'm interested in what the interviewers had to say when you said you were not going into family practice. I have shadowed various surgeons for months now and I really love the atmosphere. That is what I want to do. Also, anyone know which D.O. schools match the most surgery residencies?

DMU is traditionally very surgery freindly (Our Dean is the 1st DO to be a fellow ACS). We also have a very strong undergrad Surg dept. We are solidly prepared when we hit the wards. Additionally we have a very good surg residency at Mercy Medical Center. They are currently trying to meet ACGME requirement to be dually certified. Hope to see this happen in the next few years.

my 2 cents (obiously biased) :)

We have about 10 students each year match in general surgery. Our classes are usually 165-188 in size. This does not include other surgical specialities like, ortho, ent, gyn, etc. About 60% match MD, and 40% match DO.

Goose-d said:
did that make your interviews more difficult?

I applied to two schools, and got into both, so no. Perhaps they appreciated my candor.

Guys, i'm sorry but there is a reason why almost all d.o. schools have the highest percentages of primary care residencies in the country. Many residency directors would rather have m.d. students to fill the positions. While it is possible that a d.o. student could get a surgery position, it is definetly an uphill climb and is the exception not the rule.

Floss said:
For a more accurate representation of how NYCOM tends to do in the surgery match try looking at last years match list with the updated pgy-2 information.

Link, please. Thanks.

dbth77 said:
Guys, i'm sorry but there is a reason why almost all d.o. schools have the highest percentages of primary care residencies in the country. Many residency directors would rather have m.d. students to fill the positions. While it is possible that a d.o. student could get a surgery position, it is definetly an uphill climb and is the exception not the rule.

umm, are you talking about allo residency programs and/or osteo residency programs?

Funkdoctor said:
umm, are you talking about allo residency programs and/or osteo residency programs?

allo, there aren't that many d.o. programs making it harder