Apr 8, 2010
Status
I'm currently a pre-Med but I'm also considering a D.O. (just keeping my options open).

I understand that D.O.s often times have a harder time than M.D.s matching in to competitive specialties (dematology), but just how difficult is it for a D.O. to match into Opthalmology compared to an M.D.? I understand that it's a R.O.A.D. specialty, but more clarification would be nice.

PS: I haven't by any means decided on a specialty given I know that I don't have the adequate knowledge to do so - it's just one of the fields that I currently find interesting. :p

JaggerPlate

10+ Year Member
May 28, 2007
Status
Medical Student
I'm currently a pre-Med but I'm also considering a D.O. (just keeping my options open).

I understand that D.O.s often times have a harder time than M.D.s matching in to competitive specialties (dematology), but just how difficult is it for a D.O. to match into Opthalmology compared to an M.D.? I understand that it's a R.O.A.D. specialty, but more clarification would be nice.

PS: I haven't by any means decided on a specialty given I know that I don't have the adequate knowledge to do so - it's just one of the fields that I currently find interesting. :p
It's whatever ... Ophthalmology (if you can't spell it, you can't enter it :smuggrin:) is tough. There are DO residencies that only DOs can apply to, and then they can all fight it out for ACGME. People match Opht every year. You've got to be good, network, blah, blah (use the search function and FAQ for more details)

However - keep in mind that you're too young to worry about this and will change your mind.

Stick around, do some searches, go onto the Ophthalmology boards, read the FAQ, etc, and you'll figure it out.

SLC

A Punk rock Country doc
7+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2010
The Empire
Status
Attending Physician
I was shadowing a Dermatologist last week who is also on Faculty at the Local Med school and participates in the Adcom. He mentioned that in the very near future it's going to be easier for a DO student to match Derm than an MD student. Not sure what to make of that, but I thought it was an interesting insight.

I usually shadow him once or twice a month, I'll ask him more about that claim next time I see him.

SLC

JaggerPlate

10+ Year Member
May 28, 2007
Status
Medical Student
I was shadowing a Dermatologist last week who is also on Faculty at the Local Med school and participates in the Adcom. He mentioned that in the very near future it's going to be easier for a DO student to match Derm than an MD student. Not sure what to make of that, but I thought it was an interesting insight.

I usually shadow him once or twice a month, I'll ask him more about that claim next time I see him.

SLC
I've heard a few people say similar things when it comes to matching some crazy specialties as DO vs MD. If you want to stick with the straight facts, there are more specialized residencies through the ACGME per MD than there are through the AOA per DO. There also still exists bias and harsh competition in the ACGME world for a DO.

On a more anecdotal level ... I've heard people say that less applicants apply for these spots through the DO world

Examples: for ACGME derm, you match an internship and a PGY-2 derm residency spot at the same time, meaning that after 4th year ... you know where you're going. For AOA derm, you match an internship, then during your internship year apply for PGY-2 derm spots. Although many people reach informal agreements with programs - i.e. I know where I'm going PGY-2 - technically, you go into an internship with no guarantee you've got a residency waiting after. This is kind of scary, so less people apply derm.

For PRS ... no integrated AOA programs exist. This means you match G-Surg at a program with PRS and work hard to get their spots. Again though, this isn't like an integrated ACGME program where you're guaranteed plastics, so less people will find this option attractive

(remember, these are both anecdotal examples)

furthermore ... the DO world is a lot smaller for some of these specialized fields. Meaning, if you get in good with someone who's important in this small circle, you're probably in really good shape. In the ACGME world, you could have perfect stats, rank, etc, and not know a soul ... and still probably match. However, in the DO world ... you could maybe not be such a superstar, but network and know some of the people in this small osteopathic field ... and really set yourself up. I think many people look at this as 'easier'

Again, straight facts ... the derm you were talking to really didn't have much ground to stand on. Opinions and anecdotal evidence I've heard from people living it first hand ... he may have a point.

Jun 25, 2009
Status
It's whatever ... Ophthalmology (if you can't spell it, you can't enter it :smuggrin:) is tough. There are DO residencies that only DOs can apply to, and then they can all fight it out for ACGME. People match Opht every year. You've got to be good, network, blah, blah (use the search function and FAQ for more details)

However - keep in mind that you're too young to worry about this and will change your mind.

Stick around, do some searches, go onto the Ophthalmology boards, read the FAQ, etc, and you'll figure it out.
This is hilarious.

EMT2ER-DOC

Why so Serious?????
15+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2003
Philadelphia Area
Status
Attending Physician
a 4th year at UMDNJ just matched into an Ophthamology residency.

illegallysmooth

Smooth member
10+ Year Member
May 21, 2008
Buffalove
Status
Attending Physician
Just so you know, pre-med includes people applying to DO schools. It is medical school and they are pre-meds.

Yeah, this is nitpicky, but it bugged me :)

Instatewaiter

But... there's a troponin
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2006
Washington
Status
Attending Physician
drsaib was a poster on SDN. HE was a DO who matched ACGME ophtho. Maybe you could try and contact him OP

JaggerPlate

10+ Year Member
May 28, 2007
Status
Medical Student
drsaib was a poster on SDN. HE was a DO who matched ACGME ophtho. Maybe you could try and contact him OP
Yup, saib is a baller. :thumbup: He was the first DO to match at that program ever too (if I remember correctly).

Jul 28, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical

You'll find DOs in every field, here's one in dermatology:

http://www.med.uc.edu/dermatologynew/SubPages/EduProg/AboutResTrainProg/CurRes.html

rddoms

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
^^ If that last statement is true, then I guess I'm going to FAKE med school. I gotta tell you though, I don't mind the fact that I'm going to be a FAKE doctor! :cool:

(Sarcasm is fun, especially on SDN)

elftown

10+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
^^ If that last statement is true, then I guess I'm going to FAKE med school. I gotta tell you though, I don't mind the fact that I'm going to be a FAKE doctor! :cool:

(Sarcasm is fun, especially on SDN)
Oh, you're going to school for nursing?

Mar 30, 2010
Status
I've heard a few people say similar things when it comes to matching some crazy specialties as DO vs MD.
I was wondering if either of you could give a time frame regarding this info? How near in the future are we talking would you say?

JaggerPlate

10+ Year Member
May 28, 2007
Status
Medical Student
I was wondering if either of you could give a time frame regarding this info? How near in the future are we talking would you say?
It's conjecture ... we really can't give you a time frame, nor does one exist. Certain people just feel this way, but for the most part ... I can tell you that to match derm as an MD or DO, you need to be a very strong candidate. I'd worry about that before I gave to much weight to personal opinions and anecdotal evidence.