D.O. School chances: 25 MCAT. 3.98 sGPA, 3.78 cGPA. CHANCES? ? Love VCOM BTW.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bshoni22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I just got my MCAT scores back. As expected they're lopsided: 25R: 11V; 7BS; 7PS. I studied my a** off for 5 months (like everyone else). BUT (excuse) I'm a non-trad with degree in Literature with ZERO exposure to math and science besides the basic pre-req courses.
sGPA: 3.98
cGPA: 3.78.

My EC's are:
-Fulbright Fellowship: Hoping this thing finally pulls some weight.
-lots of clinical experience overseas and locally.
-therapy dog handler, shadowing, underserved service, rural volunteering and some more.

Do I have a chance at a DO school? I live in FL but mom lives in NC. I was really impressed with Edward Via (VCOM) but would be open to any other suggestions. Or advice to stick my head in the oven.....

The kicker: As a FL res. is it worth it to even spend the money and send out apps to FIU, UCF, USF? Any use in shooting one off to a CA school? I love it out there.

Thank you guys. I hope no one rags on me too hard. It's been a slightly emotional day.

Members don't see this ad.

congratulations on your GPA, that is extremely impressive. I would certainly retake the MCAT unless that is not an option. No harm intended but medicine is a science based field, ergo a science background or lack thereof should not be an issue. Honestly 5 months of study may have worked to your disadvantage... perhaps 6 weeks of hardcore studying would work to your benefit. I know at least for me, there is no way in hell I would remember any of the formulas I looked over 5 months ago. You want to be holding all the relevant knowledge at the time of the MCAT. What you knew and forgot before MCAT day is not particularly helpful. Most MCAT takers find VR the hardest part, so look at your literary background as an advantage. Nothing is impossible, you could get in with your current statistics. Assuming that you are not a member of a group deemed under represented in medicine (i.e. native american, black, hispanic/latino, etc) your chances are about 40% according to https://www.aamc.org/data/facts/app...mcat-gpa-grid-by-selected-race-ethnicity.html.

Raising your MCAT even slightly would be a huge advantage.

Good luck,

Alex

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello. I just got my MCAT scores back. As expected they're lopsided: 25R: 11V; 7BS; 7PS. I studied my a** off for 5 months (like everyone else). BUT (excuse) I'm a non-trad with degree in Literature with ZERO exposure to math and science besides the basic pre-req courses.
sGPA: 3.98
cGPA: 3.78.

My EC's are:
-Fulbright Fellowship: Hoping this thing finally pulls some weight.
-lots of clinical experience overseas and locally.
-therapy dog handler, shadowing, underserved service, rural volunteering and some more.

Do I have a chance at a DO school? I live in FL but mom lives in NC. I was really impressed with Edward Via (VCOM) but would be open to any other suggestions. Or advice to stick my head in the oven.....

The kicker: As a FL res. is it worth it to even spend the money and send out apps to FIU, UCF, USF? Any use in shooting one off to a CA school? I love it out there.

Thank you guys. I hope no one rags on me too hard. It's been a slightly emotional day.

You're set for VCOM. I went to a school in the area and I've seen kids get in with worse; you should think about perhaps retaking to raise your science scores (get your self acclimated with the sciences!) and having a chance at both MD and DO schools.

Thank you so much for you kind words and encouragement. Much obliged. Just to clarify, are you referring to my chances at a DO school only or an MD as well given that you are using data from AAMC? If you were referring only to an MD school would you also be able to guess on my chances at a DO school?

Thank you again. You are very kind.

Thank you! I am a bit bummed at the moment and your post really helped give me strength. As the day goes on I feel slightly more inclined to face that slavering beast again. Man, that test was about as much fun as going to the dentist AND the proctologist at the same time.-- sans Novocaine and lube.
Thank you again. It means a great deal to me.

Oh wow, my bad. Not the sharpest knife in the drawer today. Sorry. If it's any consolation I love my dentist.

oops

Last edited: