D.O. school high gpa/low mcat preference

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sn2you

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was curious as to what everyone thinks about D.O. school preferences. Since most averages of D.O. school acceptances are high GPA and low MCAT, do you think this is because D.O. schools prefer this high GPA/low MCAT pool of students (ex 3.5 gpa 27 mcat) over the low GPA/high MCAT pool (ex 3.1 gpa 31-32 mcat) or is this trend generally due to the fact that there aren't that many people that apply with a low GPA/high MCAT combination in comparison? Or do you think that these two combinations have an equal chance at a D.O. school(all else equal)? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you are clear about what an average is. If the average is 3.5/27, this isn't a high low. Clearly, stats like this are obviously going to be better because it isn't on one end of the spectrum. A proper question using your examples would be a 3.1/32 vs. 3.9/23. I don't really understand your question so hopefully showing how you are confused will help you clarify.

I dont think a 3.1 gpa correlates to a 23 mcat and a 3.9 gpa correlates to a 32 mcat. What I was trying to ask is that do you think D.O. schools prefer this average of 3.5gpa/27MCAT because 1) most people that apply have a 3.5 gpa w/ 27 MCAT or do you think that 2) there are relatively lower number of 3.1gpa/32MCAT people applying in comparison. I am trying to gauge if D.O. schools value a 3.1gpa/32 MCAT equally to a 3.5gpa/27 MCAT

Members don't see this ad :)
a 3.5/27 seems like averages at some DO schools. I think a 3.1/32 mcat is just as likely to get into a DO school as someone with a 3.9/22 Mcat. Its like a weighing scale I think, a higher score will allow a lower gpa while a high gpa allows a lower mcat. This is too an extent I guess since I don't think they would accept someone with a 1.9/40 mcat nor a person with a 4.0/12 MCAT.

Also I don't think many applicants have low GPAs but high MCATs. I think most applicants who have good GPAs also have comparable MCATs. Obviously there are many exceptions, but I think normally people with high GPAs tend to score better on the MCATs.

I dont think a 3.1 gpa correlates to a 23 mcat and a 3.9 gpa correlates to a 32 mcat. What I was trying to ask is that do you think D.O. schools prefer this average of 3.5gpa/27MCAT because 1) most people that apply have a 3.5 gpa w/ 27 MCAT or do you think that 2) there are relatively lower number of 3.1gpa/32MCAT people applying in comparison. I am trying to gauge if D.O. schools value a 3.1gpa/32 MCAT equally to a 3.5gpa/27 MCAT

Yeah a 3.1/32MCAT gives you a good shot.

It depends on the school, some schools like VCOM and some of the newer schools say that GPA and the interview are of the most importance. Those schools tend to have 3.6/24 averages.

Other than that, most schools seem to look at the GPA and MCAT equally.

it is a largely subjective process and it is supply and demand. All schools, MD and DO alike, desire the most highly qualified applicants available to them. Higher GPA makes you more desirable, as does a higher MCAT. As another poster said, the numbers are weighed against other factors in your app and a decision is made.

Your original question makes it seem like DO schools are biased against individuals with higher MCAT. This isn't the case.