D.O. Schools number of letters of evaluation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rayatbh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've been doing some research about the AACOMAS process and I would appreciate some clarification about LORs.

I know different schools have different requirements for letters but it seems like 1 DO, 2 science, 1 nonscience letter should cover all of my bases. I also would like to add my research PIs letter because I know it's a strong one. Would it be okay/considered to much to upload 5-6 letters? It's my understanding that you can't pick and choose in AACOMAS like you can for AAMC. My letters would be:

-DO physician
-Neuro professor
-Chem professor
-Spanish professor
-Research PI
-MD physician (this is submitted because of my own very dumb mistake of not knowing that you can't pick and choose letters like AMCAS or delete them :/)

I don't want to overwhelm them with letters but it's difficult when different schools have different requirements.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

This number is well within the norm. I have seen applicants send through AACOMAS and then send more letters separately. There comes a point when it is just overkill. A letter from your employment at Red Lobster really is not necessary.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone,

I've been doing some research about the AACOMAS process and I would appreciate some clarification about LORs.

I know different schools have different requirements for letters but it seems like 1 DO, 2 science, 1 nonscience letter should cover all of my bases. I also would like to add my research PIs letter because I know it's a strong one. Would it be okay/considered to much to upload 5-6 letters? It's my understanding that you can't pick and choose in AACOMAS like you can for AAMC. My letters would be:

-DO physician
-Neuro professor
-Chem professor
-Spanish professor
-Research PI
-MD physician (this is submitted because of my own very dumb mistake of not knowing that you can't pick and choose letters like AMCAS or delete them :/)

I don't want to overwhelm them with letters but it's difficult when different schools have different requirements.

Thank you!

You're limited to 6 letters of rec for DO applications.

I did three DO letters and three letters from professors.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're limited to 6 letters of rec for DO applications.

I did three DO letters and three letters from professors.
Six letters through AACOMAS but many send letters separately directly to schools through Interfolio or directly from the writer. When you have over 10,000 apps being received you have 60,000 letters to review and then you get more later. Applicants should realize that often there is one shot at an app review so information sent later will be put in the file but maybe not reviewed.

Six letters through AACOMAS but many send letters separately directly to schools through Interfolio or directly from the writer. When you have over 10,000 apps being received you have 60,000 letters to review and then you get more later. Applicants should realize that often there is one shot at an app review so information sent later will be put in the file but maybe not reviewed.

Correct. However less is more in some cases so I like to think that the "limit of six" is a secret rule of thumb and if your letter writers are unable to get their point across about you being an amazing human through 6 letters than it probably wont happen through 10. To each their own though!