D.O. shadowing in Michigan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bornconfused

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Sorry to be a bother, I have tried searching this forum and haven't really been able to find anything on this topic, but it could just be me being stupid :)

I was wondering if there are people in the Michigan area who can recommend a D.O. that might not mind being shadowed for an eventual letter of rec?

For now, I am attempting to just contact D.O.'s at random from searches on the american osteopathic website, but I figured that if people know of doctors who have done it in the past and are happy to do it, that would be another good place to start.

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Try contacting schools you are applying to (MSUCOM I'm guessing), and ask them which of their alumni will be willing to let you shadow them. Its not that hard to find DO's in MI since every department in an hospital seems to atleast have 1, so random searching/calling will get you there also.

Hey guys,

Sorry to be a bother, I have tried searching this forum and haven't really been able to find anything on this topic, but it could just be me being stupid :)

I was wondering if there are people in the Michigan area who can recommend a D.O. that might not mind being shadowed for an eventual letter of rec?

For now, I am attempting to just contact D.O.'s at random from searches on the american osteopathic website, but I figured that if people know of doctors who have done it in the past and are happy to do it, that would be another good place to start.

Thanks so much!

what area of michigan are you looking to shadow D.O.'s?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

Thanks so much!

there is a thread almost identical to this excepte the OP is asking about california. i'm sure you can use the same tactics in michigan. i would try the mentor program....see 2nd option below.

there are two ways you can go about this.

option 1) use the following website to search for DOs in your area. you can search by name, specailty, city, zip code. etc. I picked like 12 physicians in areas i thought I would enjoy shadowing and I sent each a letter telling them who i was, why i was intersted in shadowing, and a little bit more about myself. I gave them contact information like email and phone number and was called back by almost every doctor i contacted. If you want, i can show you my copy so you can get a feel for what it looked ike. If you are crunched for time, it may be better to cold call the physicians office as opposd to sending letters via snail mail. It ended up working well and i summered an orthopedic surgeon for an entire summer. Here is the website.

http://www.osteopathic.org/directory.cfm

option 2) you can sign up to be part of the ostoepathic association mentor program. this program pairs students looking to shadow DOs who have already volunteered to be shadowed and are expecting to be contacted. it might be easier than cold calling/sending letters, but some peope have complained about turn around time after submitting the request. you can search by city, specialty, and even osteopathic college. A list will pop up of peoplet hat meet your criteria and you select which one you would like to be your mentor and they will be contacted. I did this as well and was contacted very soon after i filled out the paper work. You may try both and see whoever contacts you first! here is the website for the mentor program. good luck!

http://www.osteopathic.org/YOM/mentor_search.htm

Thanks so much! I just called MSUCOM and I am hoping they will call me back with some good news!

what area of michigan are you looking to shadow D.O.'s?
I'm looking to shadow in the Oakland, Wayne, or Washtenaw county areas, although I am not that picky and would be willing to drive outside these areas as well

there is a thread almost identical to this excepte the OP is asking about california. i'm sure you can use the same tactics in michigan. i would try the mentor program....see 2nd option below.

there are two ways you can go about this.

option 1) use the following website to search for DOs in your area. you can search by name, specailty, city, zip code. etc. I picked like 12 physicians in areas i thought I would enjoy shadowing and I sent each a letter telling them who i was, why i was intersted in shadowing, and a little bit more about myself. I gave them contact information like email and phone number and was called back by almost every doctor i contacted. If you want, i can show you my copy so you can get a feel for what it looked ike. If you are crunched for time, it may be better to cold call the physicians office as opposd to sending letters via snail mail. It ended up working well and i summered an orthopedic surgeon for an entire summer. Here is the website.

http://www.osteopathic.org/directory.cfm

option 2) you can sign up to be part of the ostoepathic association mentor program. this program pairs students looking to shadow DOs who have already volunteered to be shadowed and are expecting to be contacted. it might be easier than cold calling/sending letters, but some peope have complained about turn around time after submitting the request. you can search by city, specialty, and even osteopathic college. A list will pop up of peoplet hat meet your criteria and you select which one you would like to be your mentor and they will be contacted. I did this as well and was contacted very soon after i filled out the paper work. You may try both and see whoever contacts you first! here is the website for the mentor program. good luck!

http://www.osteopathic.org/YOM/mentor_search.htm
Thanks! I did see that message, and I think those options will be pretty helpful. I filled out the mentor request - cross your fingers for me :)

I went to Garden City Hopspital to Shadow a group of D.O. residents. It was pretty well organized, actually. If you go on the Garden City Hospital website and find the education link, there is some information. I e-mailed Dr. Waarala, I believe she has a management position. All you need to do is set up a time with her. She even wrote a LOR for me! They are very flexible and you can shadow in any area you wish. I shadowed twice, once on resident rounds and also got to see a gallbladder surgery. It was really awesome! You can even stay and listen to the daily discussion after rounds. Everyone was super nice and encouraging. I would recommend trying this out, but let me know if you have any questions. Take care!

Wow thanks so much! I am def. going to look in to that :)