D.O. Specialty Track/Emphasis Internships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlueCub

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's the story: I'm planning to apply to ACGME residencies in OB/Gyn (I know, I'm keeping my fingers crossed). However, I'm a Michigan native and eventually plan to return there for practice; therefore I must complete an AOA-approved internship if I ever hope to get licensure.

I was planning on doing a traditional rotating internship, until I read in another thread (thanks, Erica) how problematic this would be in terms of government funding. So now I'm looking into the specialty track in OB...

Does anyone have an idea of whether these internships are generally accepted by ACGME programs as the equivalent of their first year? Is this something I should try to pursue with the Michigan licensing board? Or should I just give up and go radiology or something
wink.gif

Thanks in advance,
Daphne '01

Members don't see this ad.

No they will not count that towards your PGY-I in an ACGME OB-GYN.
For more info goto http://www.oneida.org one of the "Physician contacts" is a ob-gyn residents and I know he has done extensive research on this subject.

Thanks RB, I saw the site before (nice job by the way) and e-mailed Dr. Maxwell already. My situation's a little bit different, since I am planning on going back to Michigan and therefore I do need the internship, whereas Dr. Maxwell bypassed the internship entirely. But he did give me a lot of helpful information.

It's frustrating
rolleyes.gif
but thanks for your input.

Daphne '01

daph--sorry to confuse you there but i just got more info on michigan...

for whoever this might help as well--

you gotta call up the individual programs..here at michigan state, just yesterday, new rules for application were put in place to accomadate people like you and me..they reinstituted the emphasis track and are planning to interview for the internship and residency at the same time and give letters of intent for the residency along with the match..

the whole situation sucks.the dme here told me that no one understands how this is going to work and that again our class is the guinea pig..

it looks like some programs will try to get around the issue by offering letters of intent or dual contracts at the internship match.

the emphasis track thing is no advantage except that it carries with it an implied guarantee entry into the residency program..however, not every program has this implication..therefore, you just need to call each one and ask.

another option that has been discussed with me is the issue of reciprocity as being a way around the internship issue..you need to call up the state of michigan at 517 335-0918 to find out their rules on reciprocity--i.e. if you train in AZ and get licensed there, can you get a recipricol license in MI..

i found out that in some states this reciprocity is no big deal and is sorta automatic no hassle..in others, they make you take a board exam and an oral OMT exam..that would just suck.

hope that helps..