D.O student worried about Caribbean students taking our residencies....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SukoonAkhira

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I will be starting my 4th year of medical school in a D.O program starting this July. I'm ranked towards the bottom of my class and have low board scores. I will be applying to only primary care D.O programs. I'm worried that since the merger between D.O and M.D programs, all of the Caribbean students will flock in and take the D.O residencies that were only reserved to D.O students in years past. Does anyone have any information about this? Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yea I know Ross has affiliations with the hospitals that have any DO residents to train the Ross students in OMM so that they can apply to the AOA residencies with that requirement so they will take away spots from us DOs :(

That sucks... I didn't know that... Our stupid D.O leadership should have forced a provision when the merger took place that Caribbean students wouldn't be allowed in... They screw it up for all of us....

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is this post real? They haven't even decided on what OMM training MDs that apply to traditionally AOA programs need. Why would you think this would affect you as a 4th year DO student?

Also, why on Earth would you think Carib MDs would get preference over DOs when it comes to DO residencies? ACGME programs don't prefer Carib MDs over US MDs, do they? They don't even prefer Carib MDs over DOs.

Reactions: 16 users
that is not going to happen . this was brought up many times in the past.

Combining the match is to take opportunities away from Caribbean grads, not create them. DO residencies taking Caribbean graduates is unlikely to happen at any appreciable rate.

Thread title should be "Troll Carribean student pretending to be DO student worried about carribean students taking our residencies..."

Reactions: 18 users
Thread title should be "Troll Carribean student pretending to be DO student worried about carribean students taking our residencies..."

lol... sure makes you wonder doesn't it?

Good call.

Combining the match is to take opportunities away from Caribbean grads, not create them..

This gets posted all the time, and is probably the dumbest thing that SDN seems to perpetuate.

How would making 4000 more positions available to IMGs take opportunities away from them?

This merger hurts DOs. I really dont know how anyone could think otherwise. The only thing that changes when it is complete, is that we have more competition for residency.

Now if you want to cue up the rocky theme song and tell us how we are all going to rise up to the challenge, be my guest. I just dont buy it.

This gets posted all the time, and is probably the dumbest thing that SDN seems to perpetuate.

How would making 4000 more positions available to IMGs take opportunities away from them?

This merger hurts DOs. I really dont know how anyone could think otherwise. The only thing that changes when it is complete, is that we have more competition for residency.

Now if you want to cue up the rocky theme song and tell us how we are all going to rise up to the challenge, be my guest. I just dont buy it.

I've asked you this before: What are the requirements for an IMG to attain DO residency? It's not discussed because we all know 90ish% of US MDs wouldn't find a DO residency attractive. People only care about MDs vying for ROAD jobs.

4000 positions? That's less than the number of unmatched IMGs last year, LOL! We've had our differences but I'll never underestimate your sense of humor again. :)

Though I fundamentally disagree with your position: It's possible that dually accredited programs, in great locations, might become attractive to US MD applicants.

It pains me to type this but; it's possible you're correct and not being unreasonable. :)

Grow a pair. Bring your A-game. Stomp the competition. FTW.

Reactions: 6 users
No I am not a troll. I did some digging on the osteopathic.org website and I found this...

"However, current eligibility rules will still be in effect until we begin the transition in July 2015 and likely for a while after that date. MDs will not be able to enter osteopathic-focused training programs until standards for these programs have been developed, and that individual program has become ACGME-accredited. Accreditation will occur on a program-by-program basis. Since 2015 is the beginning of the five-year transition period, it may take a year or longer after that date for the first osteopathic-focused ACGME programs to be able to admit MDs."

This paragraph is located on the very bottom of this link...

http://www.osteopathic.org/inside-aoa/single-gme-accreditation-system/Pages/faq-timeline.aspx

The reason I am worried is that, when Caribbean students start doing electives their fourth year, and if they choose to do electives at D.O residencies, they have an equal chance of landing that spot just like anybody else. Now there is wayyyy more competition for D.O's like myself to deal with.

Are there benefits to the merger for D.O's..... Yes..... but what will happen eventually, is there will be U.S medical school graduates, D.O AND M.D, that wont find a residency spot..... that's my fear...

Members don't see this ad :)
Be very afraid!

It's not like doing manipulation is rocket surgery.

No I am not a troll. I did some digging on the osteopathic.org website and I found this...

"However, current eligibility rules will still be in effect until we begin the transition in July 2015 and likely for a while after that date. MDs will not be able to enter osteopathic-focused training programs until standards for these programs have been developed, and that individual program has become ACGME-accredited. Accreditation will occur on a program-by-program basis. Since 2015 is the beginning of the five-year transition period, it may take a year or longer after that date for the first osteopathic-focused ACGME programs to be able to admit MDs."

http://www.osteopathic.org/inside-aoa/single-gme-accreditation-system/Pages/faq-timeline.aspx

The reason I am worried is that, when Caribbean students start doing electives their fourth year, and if they choose to do electives at D.O residencies, they have an equal chance of landing that spot just like anybody else. Now there is wayyyy more competition for D.O's like myself to deal with.

Are there benefits to the merger for D.O's..... Yes..... but what will happen eventually, is there will be U.S medical school graduates, D.O AND M.D, that wont find a residency spot..... that's my fear...

Last edited:
Agree 100%. Does no one else see the hypocrisy here? For decades DOs have been "taking away ACGME" spots; DOs insist spots should be filled on merit (which I completely agree with). How is this new change any different? There are ~1000 US MDs every year who do not match. Nothing is guaranteed anymore in medicine and it is cut-throat. Bring your best from day 1.

If there is any consolation here, it will be the lingering DO-preference (similar to the PD MD preference in some ACGME programs) from many DO PDs so we'll at least have that going for us for a while.

Feelings of entitlement tend to reveal preexisting hypocrisy.

There is absolutely NO hypocrisy at all in my post.. Let me explain....I have no problem with U.S M.D graduates matching into D.O programs. I've always felt that the system that was set up before was unfair. D.O's bring residencies to the table and U.S M.D's bring residencies to the table... what the hell do Caribbean medical schools bring to the table???? Exactly, nothing... that's my problem. I do not have any issues with U.S MD's taking D.O residencies.... But allowing Caribbean students into our system is not fair.....

I've asked you this before: What are the requirements for an IMG to attain DO residency? It's not discussed because we all know 90ish% of US MDs wouldn't find a DO residency attractive. People only care about MDs vying for ROAD jobs.

4000 positions? That's less than the number of unmatched IMGs last year, LOL! We've had our differences but I'll never underestimate your sense of humor again. :)

Though I fundamentally disagree with your position: It's possible that dually accredited programs, in great locations, might become attractive to US MD applicants.

It pains me to type this but; it's possible you're correct and not being unreasonable. :)

Does this post honestly make sense to you?

Again.......how does ADDING POSITIONS take away opportunities for IMGs?

And we all know that 90% of MDs wouldnt rank our residencies?
Thats really your argument?

............and even if your asinine argument is true. 10% of ROAD MDs taking AOA spots means that 10% of ROAD DOs will be matching IM.

But that somehow helps DOs I guess.

Oooooo right, we will have to compete more. That makes sense. Thats definitely not EXACTLY why going to the carib is a bad idea.

Last edited:
Agree 100%. Does no one else see the hypocrisy here? For decades DOs have been "taking away ACGME" spots; DOs insist spots should be filled on merit (which I completely agree with). How is this new change any different? There are ~1000 US MDs every year who do not match. Nothing is guaranteed anymore in medicine and it is cut-throat. Bring your best from day 1.

If there is any consolation here, it will be the lingering DO-preference (similar to the PD MD preference in some ACGME programs) from many DO PDs so we'll at least have that going for us for a while.

Yea I am not arguing about fairness here.

I am talking about the fact that this merger hurts DOs more than it helps.

How does the merger hurt IMG students? Quite simple, many more DO's will be applying to ACGME residencies than are currently doing so. DO's are more specter than IMGs (most of them) and therefore the competition will be tougher. Perhaps the addition of AOA residencies to ACGME that IMGs can apply to will make up for this, but this is an unknown. Even though these residencies are willing to accept non DO applicants we do not yet know how accepting they will be of this applicants who did not study OMM.

The primary advantage of the merger for DO students IMO is that now they can apply to only one match and not risk being matched in the AOA match if they are truly more interested in the ACGME match. I would be shocked if the merger hurt DO's.

What makes you think this isn't EXACTLY the purpose of the merger? To allow those unmatched US MDs to get into the hundreds of unfilled AOA programs? I honestly doubt Carib students will be viewed any differently than they already are.

If U.S medical schools are worried about their own students not matching, couldn't they have just blocked the Caribbean students completely??? Wouldn't that be much easier than this whole merger thing....

How does the merger hurt IMG students? Quite simple, many more DO's will be applying to ACGME residencies than are currently doing so. DO's are more specter than IMGs (most of them) and therefore the competition will be tougher. Perhaps the addition of AOA residencies to ACGME that IMGs can apply to will make up for this, but this is an unknown. Even though these residencies are willing to accept non DO applicants we do not yet know how accepting they will be of this applicants who did not study OMM.

The primary advantage of the merger for DO students IMO is that now they can apply to only one match and not risk being matched in the AOA match if they are truly more interested in the ACGME match. I would be shocked if the merger hurt DO's.

Aaand why would more DOs be applying to ACGME residencies?
You do understand that this merger doesnt increase the available positions to DOs by a single spot right?

And there still has been no mention of a single match.

If U.S medical schools are worried about their own students not matching, couldn't they have just blocked the Caribbean students completely??? Wouldn't that be much easier than this whole merger thing....

No. The US government pays for residency programs. Programs can individually ban IMGs, but it would never be all across the board.

At the very least, it'll be interesting to see what happens in about 3 years.

You do understand that this merger doesnt increase the available positions to DOs by a single spot right?

Because many DO students pull out of the ACGME match after being accepted into an AOA residency that occurs a month before the ACGME match. These students will now have a chance at applying to ACGME residencies.

Because many DO students pull out of the ACGME match after being accepted into an AOA residency that occurs a month before the ACGME match. These students will now have a chance at applying to ACGME residencies.

Yes I know that. That is still the case. The merger doesnt change that.

Even if more DOs arbitrarily apply ACGME..... That leaves more AOA spots for IMGs.

...Except the combined match is thus far a baseless prediction that SDN just assumes will happen.

There has still been no official mention of this.

Or maybe more qualified DOs will take the place of lack-luster MDs who then fill those AOA spots and IMGs are still left out in the rain?

(I know it is pure speculation and we'll have to wait and see how it plays out, but it is a possibility).

Math is not your strong point I assume.

Yes I know that. That is still the case. The merger doesnt change that.

It is still the case today, but this is supposed to change. At every interview I have been to the dean has said this is changing. Maybe they are misinformed, but I don't think so.

Your doom and gloom predictions carry just as much weight as mine do, bub. Unless you want to mathematically prove yours is more valid. I can wait.

Ok. The amount of applicants remains unchanged.

The number of positions for USMDs increases
The number of positions for IMGs increases.
The number of positions for DOs remains the same.

It doesnt matter how you swap around where DOs and MDs match to. There are still, the same number of applicants, and and increased number of positions.

Think of it like a game of musical chairs if that is easier for you.

If you add more chairs for the same amount of people it doesn't really matter where everyone else sits.

Unless you are a DO, where you don't get more chairs. You get more people playing the game.

Reactions: 3 users
FWIW,

I asked an AOA PD about this last year. He planned on opening up the program to MDs and filtering applicants by score. That's a solution people should be able to live with.

Reactions: 2 users

No, this is not necessarily true. More DO's will be applying to ACGME residencies.

We don't know if this is true either. Some residencies that did not previously accept DO's might change their policies after the merger.

It doesnt matter how you swap around where DOs and MDs match to. There are still, the same number of applicants, and and increased number of positions.

If you add more chairs for the same amount of people it doesn't really matter where everyone else sits.

Unless you are a DO, where you don't get more chairs. You get more people playing the game.

I agree 100%.... D.O's got the shorter end of the stick... I don't have proof...but these rich business men that own these Caribbean schools have absolutely, lined the pockets and bribed AOA and ACGME officials in charge.... There is corruption here, no doubt in my mind...

Erk... Your points have spun themselves back into a spiral of idiocy and I cant go down with you.

Please just believe me when I say that the number of applicants doesnt change, regardless of where they apply to.

No I am not a troll.

Ha ha, that's the troll motto...the troll national anthem you might say. They make you place one hand on a keyboard, the other in a bag of Doritos and say "I am not a troll" before they let you join the club.

The bolded part is another piece of troll evidence. When have Carribean grads ever had equal chances with DO grads for residencies?

DEY TOOK ER JERBBBSSS!!!

Reactions: 6 users
I think the merger definitely does take away from the Osteopathic community - however, as a potential plus- if you want to do fellowships that require ACGME residencies, you will be able to apply to those for the <10% of those osteos planning on doing ACGME fellowships

First off, again, its not going to affect you, way too soon to even think that. Programs haven't said what's required yet, so its unlikely any IMGs will be able to complete the requirements come next match.

Second, your premise implies that AOA programs would put DO and Carib IMG students on equal footing. They won't. What makes you even suppose that? They aren't even viewed that way now. Programs that used to only take IMGs went out of their way to become dual-accredited to attract DOs. You really think when given the option of a DO or a IMG, formerly AOA programs would prefer the IMG? I don't think so.

Yea I am not arguing about fairness here.

I am talking about the fact that this merger hurts DOs more than it helps.

I really think this is debatable. Not merging would have some pretty big consequences for DOs also. Merging also has some other inherent benefits. Is it all win? No. Is it all lose? I don't think so, but I guess we'll see in 5 years.

This would never happen. As of right now, 6000 residency spots go to IMGs (and I believe half of those go to US IMGs mostly from the Carib). Do you really think it's in the best interest of residency programs to kick out a huge population of applicants?

...Except the combined match is thus far a baseless prediction that SDN just assumes will happen.

There has still been no official mention of this.

People have talked about it. No one wants to say anything official, because a timeline isn't there yet, but there has been mention of a single match. Its not part of the merger, because the match is run by a 3rd party organization (i.e. not the ACGME or AOA).

That said, once contracts are up and every program is ACGME accredited (and in turn every type of applicant would be able to apply to every type of program), there is 0 reason to have 2 matches. Not only would it be more costly for everyone involved (students and programs), but it would also be more work.

Before DOs used ERAS for the application, there was a big push to use the same standardized app process even with 2 matches, and the AOA quickly set that up. There's no way that if everything goes the way its laid out, that there will still be 2 matches. At this point its just a matter of when.

You're missing the part where there will be 3000-4000 more US MD and DO graduates by the end of the merger than there are now. Sure, there are more seats all around for IMGs, but just because they can apply doesn't mean they will not suffer from the additional competition. You make it seem like they come out on top, when in reality they don't. If anything the people that come out on top are residency programs.

Last edited:
You're missing the part where there will be 3000-4000 more US MD and DO graduates by the end of the merger than there are now. Sure, there are more seats all around for IMGs, but just because they can apply doesn't mean they will not suffer from the additional competition. You make it seem like they come out on top, when in reality they don't. If anything the people that come out on top are residency programs.

That increase in students was going to happen with or without a merger and has literally nothing to do with this.

The merger adds more spots for them therefore it decreases the competition for them.

The merger adds more applicants to the same number of spots for DOs therefore it increases the competition for DOs

This is simple math.

I really dont know how to make this any easier to understand so I am just tapping out.

Reactions: 2 users
Geffen,

I get what you're saying, DO's can apply everywhere while USMD's and IMG's can't (yet). On its face the logic you're using is sound.

But you really have to take a step back and realize that even right now in the ACGME there's a gulf of difference in relative competitiveness for residency matching between DO's and IMG's.

I'm doing Family Med, what might be the least competitive specialty out there (on the whole) and even I've realized that there are more than just a handful of programs that will interview and rank DO's that won't even accept applications from Carribean grads and other IMG's. The only program I interviewed at that had IMG's (at the interview but not in the program) was so unbelievably horrid that I'm not even putting it on my rank list.

Around the country, every program I looked at that had IMG residents was either brand new, or sub-par. Not the case with DO's. Almost every single program I checked out nationwide had DO's and/or accepted COMLEX only from applicants.

So the merger in reality just opens up another tier of programs to IMG's that will be loath to look at them.

Grow a pair. Bring your A-game. Stomp the competition. FTW.

Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yeeeeessssssssss x1,000,000,000,000^1,000,000,000,000

That increase in students was going to happen with or without a merger and has literally nothing to do with this.

The merger adds more spots for them therefore it decreases the competition for them.

The merger adds more applicants to the same number of spots for DOs therefore it increases the competition for DOs

This is simple math.

I really dont know how to make this any easier to understand so I am just tapping out.

Makes numerical sense.

I think the OP is trying to say...he's worried DO students with lower board scores and low class ranks that in previous years matched easily in less competitive primary care programs or unattractive rural programs will have a tough time matching soon. This is because these programs will also consider foreign trained IMGs that have higher scores or US trained allopathic applicants that have similar or higher scores and accept them over a weaker DO applicant...It's not really fair because if lots of DO's end up not matching and IMG's take their spot...what will happen to those weaker DO's? Obviously, we don't know if AOA program directors would rather take a weaker DO student or smarter IMG based on scores?

I'm sure this won't be a problem for at least a few years, but by 2020, it will be a major issue if the system has not created enough residency programs, and new class sizes and new schools produce more graduates plus foreign trained applicants applying...it will be a mess.

We already knows hundreds and maybe thousands of foreign/caribbean medical graduates do NOT match already but what if this starts happening to DO students?

Last edited: