D.O. & Surgical Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kazavana

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm premed and will be applying to schools next year. I actually am more excited about DO and MD course because of their phylosophy. My father is an MD and he belieaves MD should take a more DO approach, a sort of intergration of the two. Either way thats besides the point. I wanted to know how hard is it for a DO to get a surgical residency? What i mean is this, saying two hypothetical students with the same credentials and scores and they put in the same amount of effort, the only difference being one is MD and the other DO, which would have a harder time? And what do they mean when you take an allopathic residency? Does it mean ur not taking a DO approach to it? Just a couple of questions, thank you

Members don't see this ad.

depends. if you are applying to an allopathic residency (MD) you may have a harder time than the MD but may not. Depends on how the hospital looks at DOs as far as descrimination, and it does happen at some places more than others. if it is an osteopathic residency that it would be hard for the MD to get in :)

FrkyBgStok said:
depends. if you are applying to an allopathic residency (MD) you may have a harder time than the MD but may not. Depends on how the hospital looks at DOs as far as descrimination, and it does happen at some places more than others. if it is an osteopathic residency that it would be hard for the MD to get in :)

I do not think MD's are allowed to get into an osteopathic residency. I could be wrong but that is what I was told. Doing surgery as a DO is very possible,but it will be easier as an MD ( if you want an allopathic residency).

Members don't see this ad :)
CTSballer11 said:
I do not think MD's are allowed to get into an osteopathic residency. I could be wrong but that is what I was told. Doing surgery as a DO is very possible,but it will be easier as an MD ( if you want an allopathic residency).

Correct.

CTSballer11 said:

[a big giant ball of sarcasm flies over head]

CTSballer11 said:

that was the point.

Thanks a lot for the information. Just one more question. What would be the difference between an allopathic surgical residency and an Osteopathic residency? I'm not too clear on the differences.

Kazavana said:
Thanks a lot for the information. Just one more question. What would be the difference between an allopathic surgical residency and an Osteopathic residency? I'm not too clear on the differences.

I'd really have to go with no difference, other than you take COMLEX vs. USMLE in most cases.

CTSballer11 said:
I have never heard of a MD student going through allopathic training ever wanting to apply for a DO residency, only the other way around.

I agree for the most part...except when it comes to the ever-so-coveted and limited Derm, Optho, etc, (insanely competative) residency spots....with only 280 or so MD derm spots per year...some MD's would love a DO spot...