D.O. Taking USMLE Step II CK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jlaws67

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did a search, couldn't quite find anything that related to my question. I'm a 3rd year D.O. looking at Anesthesiology. I've got particularly strong step I USMLE scores(260+) and I'm at a dilemma as to whether or not I should take USMLE IICK, as there's a pretty reasonable chance I won't match my Step I score. Can anyone here provide me with any insight towards my situation? Is it worth taking the risk that my score could potentially decrease on the 2nd step?

Members don't see this ad.

Did a search, couldn't quite find anything that related to my question. I'm a 3rd year D.O. looking at Anesthesiology. I've got particularly strong step I USMLE scores(260+) and I'm at a dilemma as to whether or not I should take USMLE IICK, as there's a pretty reasonable chance I won't match my Step I score. Can anyone here provide me with any insight towards my situation? Is it worth taking the risk that my score could potentially decrease on the 2nd step?

if you did well in third year, i say take it. I had a similiar step 1 and still did better on step 2 even with less studying. The curve on step 2 is REALLY easy, and a strong step 2 can really help your application as a whole imo. On a couple of my first interviews I was even asked "where is your step 2 ck score".

I agree w step213. I think even if you did happen to drop a little (which as s/he said is not terribly likely), having a step 2ck in that general vicinity will be a an asset to your app. Good luck-

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree, you should take step 2, you will likely be glad you did. Take it early enough that the score will be back in time for your ERAS submission deadline.

If you are worried, I suggest taking it but after your ERAS application is sent out. Then you can control if you want to release your scores or not.

If you are worried, I suggest taking it but after your ERAS application is sent out. Then you can control if you want to release your scores or not.

You'd have to verify this, but IIRC, programs can see if the exam was taken even if the score is not released. I thought I remember it being a red flag if the exam was taken but the score not released. Perhaps back in the day it was an option to take the exam and hide the score, but I don't think that is an option anymore.

IMO the best option is to buy a 6month UWorld subscription now and start pounding through questions, (at least 2x through) and kill step 2 in June/early July before you start your Sub-I's or away rotations. DIT is another good study source if you have the cash. If you did well on step 1 and you are doing well on your rotations, you should be able to do well on step 2 if you start studying now.

You'd have to verify this, but IIRC, programs can see if the exam was taken even if the score is not released. I thought I remember it being a red flag if the exam was taken but the score not released. Perhaps back in the day it was an option to take the exam and hide the score, but I don't think that is an option anymore.

IMO the best option is to buy a 6month UWorld subscription now and start pounding through questions, (at least 2x through) and kill step 2 in June/early July before you start your Sub-I's or away rotations. DIT is another good study source if you have the cash. If you did well on step 1 and you are doing well on your rotations, you should be able to do well on step 2 if you start studying now.

it was still an option this year, so unless something changes from now to next year, it should be ok

I'm a DO 4th year applying anesthesia right and I would recommend taking it. If you got a 260+ on step 1 you will do just fine on step 2. I understand that you think it will look weird if you score a 260+ on step 1 and then a 220 on step 2, but I doubt you will score below a 240 if you crushed step 1 that hard. Take the USMLE, then study some OMM for a week and take the COMLEX. I got 230+ on both and I have had plenty of interviews.
The keys for any DO:
-Score 230+ on Step 1 and Step 2
-do away rotations to get to know people
-apply broadly
-don't be unattractive at interviews