D.O & volunteer/mission trips abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JimmyT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a D.O., can one "treat" patients in other countries while volunteering or doing mission trips abroad? This has been my only hesitation between MD and DO degrees. Part of why I want to become a doctor is to volunteer 2-3 weeks a year in a third world country and use my medical "knowledge."

Members don't see this ad.

Medical missions do not require a specific degree. If you're considering "setting up shop" in another part of the world, the DO penetrance is increasing every year.

When you're practicing with a group like Doctors Without Borders, you don't have to qualify to practice medicine in that country like you would if you wanted to *move there* and practice. Thus, MD/DO doesn't matter. You can verify this on the DWB website.

I'm kind of assuming the same would hold true on a medical mission trip sponsored by a church or something, but I haven't seen that written in stone to be sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a D.O., can one "treat" patients in other countries while volunteering or doing mission trips abroad? This has been my only hesitation between MD and DO degrees. Part of why I want to become a doctor is to volunteer 2-3 weeks a year in a third world country and use my medical "knowledge."

DOs are recognized as full physicians in many countries. They have full practice rights in the UK and most Canadian provinces. I also believe they can volunteer in medical missions overseas. The US military has many DOs and the military is involved in a lot of overseas aid.