:D Rush Medical College - Class of 2013!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluesmd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
who's going to be there?!?!

Members don't see this ad.

Very exited to be accepted at Rush for next year, definitely attending.

anyone else? anyones at all?

Members don't see this ad :)
Looking forward to it. Not looking forward to the freezing weather. Does anyone know where they are planning on living?

Looking forward to it. Not looking forward to the freezing weather. Does anyone know where they are planning on living?

you will get used to it soon trust me. so are you set on rush. i havne't looked at housing yet though.

Hey just wanted to post here in the Rush class of 2013 site. I loved Rush and Chicago, im from So Cal. Are you guys definitely going to Rush?

Pretty sure,
Rush is the only place I got in so far.

i'm not sure, but i really like rush when i was there. just got other considerations apart from just the school. you?

Barring unforeseen circumstances (large scholarship offers elsewhere), I'll be seeing you all in September. :scared::D:scared::thumbup:

I'm so pumped for Rush this Sept! See you there!

I'll be interviewing at Rush soon. I'd love to talk to someone about interview there, to be better prepared - PM me if you'd be willing to talk

are most people thinking of just living at center court ? i was thinking more along the lines of wicker park.. a little nicer area and more going on.. i think a bunch of med students live over there. definitely not set on anything though !!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone!

Congratulations to all of you! I was accepted to Rush back in December, and I am really excited. So far, this is one of two acceptances, the other being USUHS. Still waiting to hear from UIC. Not really sure right now about which one to pick, but I loved Rush when I was there. They certainly run a tighter ship than UIC.

Why are you guys/girls choosing Rush (if you have other alternatives)? I would come for the small class size, the great location and hospitals, not to mention the city of Chicago, and I really liked the students I met there. I felt at home during my interview. :thumbup: I am mostly worried about the cost :thumbdown:

Hey everyone!

Congratulations to all of you! I was accepted to Rush back in December, and I am really excited. So far, this is one of two acceptances, the other being USUHS. Still waiting to hear from UIC. Not really sure right now about which one to pick, but I loved Rush when I was there. They certainly run a tighter ship than UIC.

Why are you guys/girls choosing Rush (if you have other alternatives)? I would come for the small class size, the great location and hospitals, not to mention the city of Chicago, and I really liked the students I met there. I felt at home during my interview. :thumbup: I am mostly worried about the cost :thumbdown:

Yeah, the cost definitely sucks. Especially as compared to USUHS, which basically PAYS you to go there. Although Rush was the only school i officially got into, I had pending decisions post-interview at other schools which I decided to withdraw from once I found out about Rush. It's a great hospital, and from what I have witnessed/heard/etc the students all seem really down to earth and normal. They also are really excited to be there! The fact that it was in Chicago was a HUGE plus for me too, because I want to stay close to my family and friends, and let's be honest, i love the city. I plan on practicing in the state of illinois in the future, and Rush is very well respected among Illinois physicians.

On another note, i was reading past Rush class forums, and they mentioned 1$ a month parking for students near the hospital.. is this still going on ??? Anybody know??

Yeah, the cost definitely sucks. Especially as compared to USUHS, which basically PAYS you to go there. Although Rush was the only school i officially got into, I had pending decisions post-interview at other schools which I decided to withdraw from once I found out about Rush. It's a great hospital, and from what I have witnessed/heard/etc the students all seem really down to earth and normal. They also are really excited to be there! The fact that it was in Chicago was a HUGE plus for me too, because I want to stay close to my family and friends, and let's be honest, i love the city. I plan on practicing in the state of illinois in the future, and Rush is very well respected among Illinois physicians.

On another note, i was reading past Rush class forums, and they mentioned 1$ a month parking for students near the hospital.. is this still going on ??? Anybody know??
exactly. yeah i heard bout the parking too. i :love: rush and i'm going there. i'm lazy so prob going to live in center court haha

are most people thinking of just living at center court ? i was thinking more along the lines of wicker park.. a little nicer area and more going on.. i think a bunch of med students live over there. definitely not set on anything though !!

i'll probably live in wicker park as well. the ashland bus is pretty solid and should be an easy way to get to class.

i'll probably live in wicker park as well. the ashland bus is pretty solid and should be an easy way to get to class.

sweet ! yeah also i think it's pretty easy to get there from the damen bus as well ? i think ? correct me if i'm wrong..

Anyone else planning to live at Center Court? It is ridiculously close and too convenient to deny.

sweet ! yeah also i think it's pretty easy to get there from the damen bus as well ? i think ? correct me if i'm wrong..

yeah, the damen bus will be sweet too. damen is just a little bit further away from campus than ashland is. either way it is easy. plus the blue line is around there at damen/divison and the medical district stop is less than a minute from rush.

im starting to get pretty excited

Anyone else planning to live at Center Court? It is ridiculously close and too convenient to deny.

i'm still considering living at center court, i just don't really know how i feel about that area.. there's nothing really over there except the hospital and taylor street, and i dont know.. i feel like i would rather live 15 minutes away in a nicer neighborhood ?

the only problem with the blue line though is that you have to take it into the loop :thumbdown: so it kind of takes a while, but yeah ashland bus definitely works :)

i'm still considering living at center court, i just don't really know how i feel about that area.. there's nothing really over there except the hospital and taylor street, and i dont know.. i feel like i would rather live 15 minutes away in a nicer neighborhood ?

So i'm not from Chicago... and really don't know much about it but I agree with Nellia. Plus just from a quick peak at Craigs list, looks like you can get a lot for around $1400 with a roomate. Anyone interested?

On another note: i'll most likely be going to Rush. Also LOVED it and feel like i would really fit in. Excited to meet everyone!

I turned in my housing form to center court, but I've never seen what the apartments look like and I'm not that familiar with little italy/med district.

I'll probably go with center court for the first year then move somewhere for 2nd year. You can't beat being right across the street from school.

Whats all this $1 parking I keep hearing about?

Hello everyone,

First I want to congratulate everyone on their acceptance and welcome you all to Rush! It's awesome here. I'm currently a second year and figured I would put a post on here about my apartment in case anyone was planning on moving to Chicago during the summer.

I currently live in Wicker Park and absolutely love it. My roommates are moving out and I decided that I want to stay and am looking for people to take over their lease. I'm looking for one more roommate for a 3 bedroom apartment.

Some details:
Wicker Park
Right next to Division Blue line and the Ashland Bus (literally a few steps to the bus and then a straight shot down to Rush)
Walking distance to tons of restaurants, shopping, bars.
1500 sq ft. Vaulted ceilings. Lots of windows. Fireplace. Deck.
Easy street parking with permit.
Washer/dryer in basement.
1 Room available- both can fit a queen size bed, a desk, and a dresser.

Move-in- Now until or by June (possibly negotiable) for a 1-yr lease.

Rent: $550/month not including utilities. (You really can't beat that.)

I also have pictures. If you're interested, shoot me an email at [email protected].

Or if you just have any questions about Rush or Wicker park, feel free to contact me.

Hello everyone,

I saw your postings recently and thought I might write somethings here. I am a current first year at Rush University and would be happy to answer any questions you may have from time to time.
So I see a lot of you are wondering about the $1 a month deal for parking. Well it is a reality. There is a parking lot that charges this for people interested in parking there. I don't know the exact cross streets (I will try to find that out soon) but I know its about a 5-10 minute walk from Rush. So this is a good deal for commuters thinking about saving a bit of money. The Rush parking lot is $40/month. If you don't mind walking a little this could be a good deal. I know of a few people who do this and they don't mind it at all.
CCG (Center Court Gardens) is definitely a good place to live during your first year of school. Its close and convenient. The current distribution of students in my class seems to be at about 50/50 on/off campus. Of those living off campus, I would say its about 75% living close to the area (5-25min) as compared to those commuting from away (25%). I personally live off campus about a mile away and bike everyday to school. Most of my friends live in CCG and I don't feel as if i'm missing out at all from parties or get togethers. Winter was tough to brave, but worth it. Hope this helps.

Any current Rush students: How much time does Rush give students to study for Step 1 at the end of year two? (this was mentioned as a problem at another school I interviewed at, in that students didn't feel like they had enough time to study, so I was just curious how this worked out at Rush).

Also, is there anything you absolutely do not like about Rush, whether it is a big or small issue? Or are there minor things that maybe irritate you from time to time? I'm just curious about these things before I make my decision on where to attend! If you would like to remain anonymous in your response, feel free to PM me!

And on the opposite end, if there is something you absolutely love about Rush, feel free to share that too :)

Does anyone have any idea when we might hear from financial aid?

Any current Rush students: How much time does Rush give students to study for Step 1 at the end of year two? (this was mentioned as a problem at another school I interviewed at, in that students didn't feel like they had enough time to study, so I was just curious how this worked out at Rush).

Also, is there anything you absolutely do not like about Rush, whether it is a big or small issue? Or are there minor things that maybe irritate you from time to time? I'm just curious about these things before I make my decision on where to attend! If you would like to remain anonymous in your response, feel free to PM me!

And on the opposite end, if there is something you absolutely love about Rush, feel free to share that too :)

Hey,

So personally I feel one of the things that bothers me is the lack of technology or the level of technology we have at Rush. There are many things that can be improved, from having better computers, more of them or even a better website. However, though this may seem like a problem right now, there has been considerable work done to improve technology at Rush. There will be a new, user-friendly online course program in place by the time you get here instead of the one we currently use that is pretty user-unfriendly. There is a student group on campus that looks out for student's concerns regarding technology and they have made large strides in their short time being a group. We have a current student run website that is really helpful for note sharing, books selling and general information, etc. We do have a completely wireless campus that is open to all students. Things are changing for the better.
From a fellow M1 I just talked to, she told me "I don't like the amount of lectures we have". This thought is echoed by a few people due to the amount of time we spend in our large lecture hall, especially later in our M1 year. However, for you people coming in next year, timing for classes will change. You will start at 8 and end classes by 12. This means less time in the lecture hall and more time self-study, group-problems, preceptor shadowing, etc. Though I understand where my classmate is coming from, the faculty here are very receptive to feedback received from students. There has been considerable push towards minimizing your time in the lecture hall and more problem solving/self study times. Teachers take your comments seriously and it is reflected in the changes that will be happening in the next few years in regards to the curriculum

There are two things that I would say I LOVE about Rush:
1) the people: This includes students, faculty and administration. I can't say enough about my class. They are incredibly down to earth, easy to get along with and each has a unique thing they bring to the class. We are very cooperative and try to help each other when someone needs help with something (e.g. shift changes). The environment promotes this type of relationship between students. The faculty and administration, as said above, are very receptive to students. They are very good at what they do and love teaching students. If you have a problem or need help, they are willing to sit down with you to help you understand the topic.
2)Community service: Rush prides itself in this sense. There are a plethora of community service opportunities offered through Rush for anyone to participate in. From non-clinical (tutoring kids, helping at a homeless shelter, etc.) to the clinicals (various health fairs and clinics for the underpriviledged) there is something for everyone. It doesn't exist? Create one that you are passionate about. People here are willing to work with you so that you can pursue that thing you want to see happen. If you want clinic experience from the get go, there are ways to make that happen. If you want shadowing opportunities with physicians, they are just an email away.

Oh right... boards. Well, M2s are done in about 3 weeks or so. Then they are basically off until their boards which are in June, depending on what each of them signed up for. This would mean that they have about a month (and a half) to study. I honestly have never heard anyone complain about the time they were allotted to study for boards, so I assume that it is enough time that has been given. Ill check in with some M2s and if anything is different than what is said here, Ill let you know soon.

Hope this helps in giving you a better picture of Rush. If you have any further questions, let me know.

Roberto

Last edited:
hey everyone-
i will be at rush as well and some of you may be in the facebook group too. as far as the parking goes, i looked it up, it's 40 a month to park in the garage which is a really nice deal. i'm planning on living in the south loop i found a beautiful apartment that's huge and new and it'd be 1260 a month per person that's with everything included, and center court is way overpriced (so if you're interested, let me know). anyway, i'm looking forward to meeting you all in the fall, and it's exciting to finally post on one of these forums as an accepted student for once!!!!

another thing i would like to add, as there was a post mentioning how rush prides itself on community service...i already live in chicago, and if you guys are looking for a great volunteer opportunity, i'm sure you're going to get bombarded with this info when we get there in september, but i volunteer at Community Health on the west side in ukranian village, which is not too far from school. It's volunteer run clinic for people who have no insurance, and it's absolutely fabulous. I LOVE volunteering there and so does most everyone who does it-they have opportunities of all kinds, clinical and non-clinical, and the hours are incredibly flexible, and they love med students, so i would definitely recommend looking into that when you come here in september! (sorry for the plug, but i figure most of you are the type of people who love to volunteer anyway, that's probably why rush picked you! :) ) and here's a link to the place i am looking for a roomie at. please ignore the prices on the website, as i got some incredible deals and have already put a deposit down. it is residence 04 under the floor plans and it will be 1260 per person including utilties and internet/cable. i will be bringing my car and i can drive you to class (it's about 7 minutes away), and i will also be bringing all my fab furniture, TV, surround sound system, etc. let me know if you're interested. it's way cooler than center court, i can promise that. you can also click on my profile here and facebook me to contact me that way if you're interested, i can send you pictures of the specific apartment to your email.

www.burnhampointe.com

another thing i would like to add, as there was a post mentioning how rush prides itself on community service...i already live in chicago, and if you guys are looking for a great volunteer opportunity, i'm sure you're going to get bombarded with this info when we get there in september, but i volunteer at Community Health on the west side in ukranian village, which is not too far from school. It's volunteer run clinic for people who have no insurance, and it's absolutely fabulous. I LOVE volunteering there and so does most everyone who does it-they have opportunities of all kinds, clinical and non-clinical, and the hours are incredibly flexible, and they love med students, so i would definitely recommend looking into that when you come here in september! (sorry for the plug, but i figure most of you are the type of people who love to volunteer anyway, that's probably why rush picked you! :) ) and here's a link to the place i am looking for a roomie at. please ignore the prices on the website, as i got some incredible deals and have already put a deposit down. it is residence 04 under the floor plans and it will be 1260 per person including utilties and internet/cable. i will be bringing my car and i can drive you to class (it's about 7 minutes away), and i will also be bringing all my fab furniture, TV, surround sound system, etc. let me know if you're interested. it's way cooler than center court, i can promise that. you can also click on my profile here and facebook me to contact me that way if you're interested, i can send you pictures of the specific apartment to your email.

www.burnhampointe.com

Congrats and welcome to Rush! I'm a 2nd year (class of 2011) and I just wanted to inform you that my incoming buddy and I were talking and she's looking for a roommate who would be willing to provide a ride (she's willing to split the gas) so I thought you two should talk. I've told her about this thread and she should be registering and getting to you soon.

As for CHC, that's great that you volunteer there! I'm sure you know Rush is involved there and I've only been there a few times but it's been a good experience.

We have 1 month. Some people have waited until that month to start studying and they do fine. It all depends on how you are as a person. Most people in my class started a month or so before we're done with our second year. Yes that means we're studying stuff for our last quarter and reviewing stuff for boards. Yes it's a bit hard, but that's medical school. I feel we learn stuff that won't be covered on boards, and the fact that we're not taught towards the boards is good because we're exposed to more. If someone is serious about doing extremely well on boards they would start studying 3-4 months in advance of their test anyway.

I'm not confident I'll do extremely well but then I'm not a serious student (as Roberto can attest to); My goal is to do above average and I believe that even if I started after school finished I could do it. If you've been scraping by all this time then things will be tough, but if you've been paying attention and learning things right the first time then boards will really be just reviewing material you already know as opposed to re-learning stuff. I won't lie, I'm re-learning or learning for the first time because there were a few things I didn't get the first time around and never bothered to put in the effort.

UIC gets more time than us, and I think so does Loyola. But you know what? The serious students from Rush still get the residencies they want. I know from the match list for the current 4th years that two people matched at Mayo.

I'm probably not going to check this thread very often so if there's something you're super curious about that applies to 2nd year, you'll have to give me some time. Boards ;-)

haha - i don't really think communityhealth needs a "plug".. it's likely people will become involved with it anyways since rush is one of the schools that helps run it..

haha - i don't really think communityhealth needs a "plug".. it's likely people will become involved with it anyways since rush is one of the schools that helps run it..

This is very true. I would dare say that CHC (Community Health Clinic) is the most popular clinical RCSIP (Rush Community Service Initiative Program) programs Rush has here. (Get used to using acronyms here 'cause people are a fan of them). I have volunteered there various times, and have found it incredibly rewarding every time I go. Hopefully you'll get a chance to go there sooner rather than later (it helps if you speak another language like spanish or polish). At Rush we go every Wednesday night to help out.
It was only a matter of time before Fresh got a whiff of this feed and started posting on it. Thanks for adding on to the feed dude. This is a great reasource for any of you future Rushians to post and ask us anything. You will now get the answers not only from an M1, but if time permits and he is not too nose deep in books, an M2.
Hope you all are planning on coming to second look day on Monday. It sounds like its gonna be a lot of fun for you all with things that are planned.

Awesome! Thanks for the roommate recommendation! no gas splitting necessary, especially if i can take the master bedroom in exchange. ;) And yeah, for the posts below...community health doesn't really need much of a plug...that was more for the people who are out of state...and yeah i'm sure they fill us in with all that info anyway during orientation. Sharon Gates interviewed me and gave me tons of info about RCSIP, and i'm sure she'll do the same later on for everyone else.

Bringing this thread back to life on final decision day! I just committed to Rush, and can't wait to see everyone in the fall!

Anyone else living at CCG?

Got my lease for Center court today, most likely will end up living there.

Anyone else living at CCG?

I really should stop being so damn wishy-washy, but I think I might prefer living off-campus, particularly if I can purchase a reasonably-priced condo (and perhaps share w/ a roommate).

On a similar note, if I apply for CCG, can I back out later, or what?

I really should stop being so damn wishy-washy, but I think I might prefer living off-campus, particularly if I can purchase a reasonably-priced condo (and perhaps share w/ a roommate).

I don't know much about the surrounding area, but the convenience of being across the street is too good to pass up right now. I'm pretty sure you can apply for housing and not accept it later, sort of like we just did for school.

if you can buy a condo, i say do it for sure - i don't even want to think about how much money i'm going to be throwing at rent, and not getting anything in the future in return. hopefully by the time we graduate the housing market would be better and you could sell and make some money ! i would totally think about buying if i could !

for me, the area i live in > convenience - but i am the type of person who does not roll out of bed and go to class. either way i think it would be ok !

Hey Everyone. I decided on Rush last week, so I'll be joining all of you in the incoming class. I'm not sure where I'm living yet, but I'm considering living in the city somewhere (not CCG) because I don't mind the commute.

Everyone who got accepted to rush this year must really like it. Looks like rush might not go into the waitlist at all this year. Anyone still hoping to get into a different school still?

hey guys. congrats on getting in. i just finished third year here at rush. if you have any questions at all about anything just ask away or shoot me a private message. i think you guys dont start for a few months still, so if anyone has the burning question of what they should be doing/reading for the next few months before orientation week the answer is do and read whatever you want as long as it has nothing to do medical school course work. seriously

Is anyone still looking for a roommate?

Have people gotten their orientation packet yet?

So, when's everybody moving in to Center Court?
My lease (and I assume everyone's) starts September 1 - the day before orientation. Does anyone know if ~August 29/30 move-ins are a possibility?