D-schools that are P/F

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Parklife

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw an older thread on SDN. I think it's high time we made some sort of consice list(I wonder if doc already has a nifty excel sheet ready to go)

What schools are P/F? I think this is an important factor to consider when selecting D-schools for specializing, stress level, work/family life, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

I agree I'd like a list as well, I'm sure you'd find out during the interview orientation but still nice to know...might be an eliminating factor when trying to narrow down a list of schools to apply to

I didn't know that some dental school are p/f. With the boards being p/f now and some dental school being p/f, How are we supposed to stand out to residency programs? Would they look as far back as our DAT scores now?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I mean, the school life balance is good... I am just confused on how residency programs would select who they accept.

Last edited:
I didn't know that some dental school are p/f. With the boards being p/f now and some dental school being p/f, How are we supposed to stand out to residency programs? Would they look as far back as our DAT scores now?

Good question. I think it goes like this:

Getting into a top school will make you stand out, and I'm guessing if you go to a lesser known school with lower scores then maybe they will not be p/f and if they are...you might have a harder time with residency.

Either way, we need a list

Letters of recommendation, leadership, research, other extracurriculars, and the GRE. Yes, a lot of places are starting to require official GRE scores for residency programs.

How about these?

H/P/F:
Columbia
UCLA

P/F:
UCSF
Harvard
UConn
ECU
Roseman

Edit: moved UCSF

Last edited:
How about these?

H/P/F:
Columbia
UCSF
UCLA

P/F:
Harvard
UConn
ECU
Roseman

:thumbup:

Although, for those who don't plan on specializing, every school is essentially P/F. All you need to do is pass the boards. A/B/C makes no difference otherwise. Just stating the obvious, though :D

Do keep in mind though, at some schools, a "Pass" is not just over 50%, or 60%(D) like for undergraduate programs. For example, Roseman requires 90% to be considered a pass. In that case, P/F might even be more difficult than graded. However, some schools follow a more traditional grading scale, like Columbia, where 65% = Pass. 90% is H I believe.

WHAT???? GRE? NOOO!

I would rather study for the boards then the GRE any day.

You have to take the boards anyway. The GRE is an extra exam we have to study for. This totally defeats the purpose of them making the boards p/f.

You have to take the boards anyway. The GRE is an extra exam we have to study for. This totally defeats the purpose of them making the boards p/f.

If you were running an ortho program, and all of the applicants had P's in their courses, and a P on the boards, how would you distinguish between them all? The GRE is becoming that method.

But as you said, it's as a result of making the boards pass/fail, and a lot of schools moving to pass/fail. This is why I think traditional scores and grades are better.