Sophocles

5+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2011
NYC
Status
Medical Student
Ummm... A few things.

First, they do accept American students. I don't know if you knew this but Puerto Ricans are Americans. And before you say anything, they do accept people that were raised in CONUS.

Secondly, I believe, although I could be wrong, that there is an application process. So to answer your original question, you would apply there and presumably have to get the approval of adcoms- or as they say in PR, los chicos and chicas.

Lastly, if you can afford to do the post bac at UPR (cualquiera recinto), it would be a great starting spot. They usually want you to prove that you have strong ties there although I only looked into a couple of the four schools there; therefore, I wouldn't waste your time on here where you will only get facetious and ill-informed responses. Instead, call them up and talk to their adcoms to see what they would suggest.

P.S. Remember that PR doesn't believe in central AC. I hope you like fans :)

lalax

5+ Year Member
Feb 6, 2013
Status
That percentage is probably mostly due because few continental Americans even apply, not because they have restrictions against continental Americans. I recently applied to the UPR SOM and I don't recall having to prove I had Puerto Rican residency (I went to college in continental US and am currently not living in Puerto Rico).

Nov 5, 2013
Paradise
Status
Medical Student
Hey Guys,

First of all, I would really like to thank you for taking the time to look at my post. I was just thinking about going to Med School in Puerto Rico, but I am not a Puerto Rican resident. Also, I am a career changer, having majored in French and International Relations at college.

I was thinking about doing a make it yourself post bacc at the University of Puerto Rico and working in a hospital down there. Then, after the allotted time, I would claim Puerto Rican residency.

Would this allow me to be able to apply as a Puerto Rican to the University of Puerto Rico? I know they don't accept American students. Would this be possible?

Also, Im half honduran, so Spanish is no problem for me.

Thanks for everything!
As long as you become a resident i think you should be fine. Ponce accepts students from OOS and its a great school. Iw asa ccepted yesterday :)

Nov 5, 2013
Paradise
Status
Medical Student
Ummm... A few things.

First, they do accept American students. I don't know if you knew this but Puerto Ricans are Americans. And before you say anything, they do accept people that were raised in CONUS.

Secondly, I believe, although I could be wrong, that there is an application process. So to answer your original question, you would apply there and presumably have to get the approval of adcoms- or as they say in PR, los chicos and chicas.

Lastly, if you can afford to do the post bac at UPR (cualquiera recinto), it would be a great starting spot. They usually want you to prove that you have strong ties there although I only looked into a couple of the four schools there; therefore, I wouldn't waste your time on here where you will only get facetious and ill-informed responses. Instead, call them up and talk to their adcoms to see what they would suggest.

P.S. Remember that PR doesn't believe in central AC. I hope you like fans :)
To add to this, they accept students that were reised at least part of their life in PR and their parents HAVE to be from PR. If you are from PR and went to college in US you can also apply. OOS residents are truly scarse at UPR-MSC because they give priority to students from the island.

I dont understand your PS and find it a bit controversial

Jul 2, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Sophocles,

Thank you so much for your response. Yeah, I know they are Americans, but it is still just a territory and I wrote this post in like 5 minutes.

There are 3 US accredited schools in Puerto Rico, but they rarely accept continental Americans (2.5 percent for Universidad Central del Caribe School of Medicine; 0.5 percent for University of Puerto Rico School of Medicine; 2.6 for Ponce School of Medicine).

Source:
http://startmedicine.com/App/medstatistics.asp?iMD=Y&iSO=MC&iST=&iCO=&cSU= Refresh School Info

I really just want to move there and perfect my spanish. I think it would be a wonderful place to live--especially while you are young. My other option is the Bryn Mawr Post Bacc Program, which is a wonderful opportunity as well....but its just not exactly what I want.

Thanks for all your input.
This is relatively unrelated to your actual question, but I just wanted to suggest that you look into getting MSAR and use their stats. The stats you posted are from 2007, so out of date and also they have a disclaimer saying it's not guaranteed to be true. They describe accepted as "Matriculated + Deferred" and then say
"The actual number of offers extended is actually higher". Looking at the MSAR data at the moment for these schools, it is pretty different (especially for the financials and tuition!! :eek:) probably because the numbers are more recent.

Sophocles

5+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2011
NYC
Status
Medical Student
Sophocles,

Thank you so much for your response. Yeah, I know they are Americans, but it is still just a territory and I wrote this post in like 5 minutes.

There are 3 US accredited schools in Puerto Rico, but they rarely accept continental Americans (2.5 percent for Universidad Central del Caribe School of Medicine; 0.5 percent for University of Puerto Rico School of Medicine; 2.6 for Ponce School of Medicine).

Source:
http://startmedicine.com/App/medstatistics.asp?iMD=Y&iSO=MC&iST=&iCO=&cSU= Refresh School Info

I really just want to move there and perfect my spanish. I think it would be a wonderful place to live--especially while you are young. My other option is the Bryn Mawr Post Bacc Program, which is a wonderful opportunity as well....but its just not exactly what I want.

Thanks for all your input.
That Post Bacc is awesome and I have a few of those kids at my school right now. Good luck

Sophocles

5+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2011
NYC
Status
Medical Student
To add to this, they accept students that were reised at least part of their life in PR and their parents HAVE to be from PR. If you are from PR and went to college in US you can also apply. OOS residents are truly scarse at UPR-MSC because they give priority to students from the island.

I dont understand your PS and find it a bit controversial
I'm Puerto Rican by birth and go there all the time. This is not a controversial issue. I haven't met nor read about any people arguing about this point and if it upset you, then you probably don't want to study at PR. There's obviously air conditioning in PR but it's a drastically different environment and it's little things like this that can influence the individual's experience.