D1 athlete, 34 Mcat, 4.0 gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Agon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Mcat 34: 11/12/11; ps/vr/bs
gpa: 4.0
Ran track at a D1 college (3000+ hours)
Shadowing 45 hours
Medical volunteering 45 hours
non medical 40 hours
Awards: Top 3 in organic chemistry of 400 person class
Grew up in rural community and I had to work over the summers so I didn't have time during the summer to volunteer much.
Obviously my time was full during the school year with track/school and volunteering/shadowing was difficult then as well.

Out of state resident but what are my chances at texas state schools:
UT southwestern
Baylor
UT galveston
UT San Antonio
UT Houston
Texas Tech
Texas A&M
UNT

Also, any other recommendation on where else I should try?

Members don't see this ad.

Texas has huge instate preference (by law their classes are like 90% in state or something). Baylor would give you better odds but it is a very competitive school. You have the stats to have a shot but I wouldn't bank on it. Being a D1 athlete is impressive but your ECs are otherwise average.

Thank you for the input. Although, I have trouble imagining Baylor being easier than A&M or Galveston. Also, the OOS applicant pool isn't as large as one would expect. Probably because of the pain of filling out another application.. Like you said, I'm trying not to get my hopes up. There are some other EC I have such as tutoring, a couple other jobs, and an award. I have already applied to all these schools but if you could think of other great schools I have a better shot at then id love to hear

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you have a fair shot at getting some interviews at Texas schools. I had a friend from college who applied OOS with similar stats, and he interviewed at about 4 of them. And another OOS state friend with worse stats who now has a full ride to A&M. We also have some D1 athletes in my class at BCM. That's a pretty significant time commitment, so the fact that you were able to pull it off with a great GPA and MCAT school will look good. Best of luck this cycle!

I think that @Goro and @gyngyn would provide more feedback, but I remember frequently reading on the board that being a D1 athlete is considered to be "another extracurricular activity" and you will still be expected to have sufficient volunteer/shadowing/clinical hours. You have very solid statistics, but the clinical volunteering is on the scant side. Having TX residency is a major bonus though!

100% concur. OP, you need to demonstrate that you actually know what you're getting into and really want to be around sick people for the next 40 years. Thus, you should double (at least) the number of patient contact hrs.

I think that @Goro and @gyngyn would provide more feedback, but I remember frequently reading on the board that being a D1 athlete is considered to be "another extracurricular activity" and you will still be expected to have sufficient volunteer/shadowing/clinical hours. You have very solid statistics, but the clinical volunteering is on the scant side. Having TX residency is a major bonus though!

I am a kansas resident and attended the University of Kansas
You have a very good chance at your home school. KS residents have a very high IS matriculation rate (35.3). Your MCAT is well above the median (30) and so is your gpa. Your own school will have a much higher appreciation of your athleticism as well.

Reactions: 1 user
You have a very good chance at your home school. KS residents have a very high IS matriculation rate (35.3). Your MCAT is well above the median (30) and so is your gpa. Your own school will have a much higher appreciation of your athleticism as well.

Yea. In fact, when I talked to the physicians on the admissions committee they said the hours I have is more than fine given my other statistics. However, tuition in Kansas is terrible and doesn't have the national respect of some of the texas schools. Thanks everyone for the advice. IF I get any interviews I'll post. Also, any other advice on where I could apply?

Yea. In fact, when I talked to the physicians on the admissions committee they said the hours I have is more than fine given my other statistics. However, tuition in Kansas is terrible and doesn't have the national respect of some of the texas schools. Thanks everyone for the advice. IF I get any interviews I'll post. Also, any other advice on where I could apply?
The OOS schools where you would be a good candidate are also pretty pricey and many expect more research than you have posted: Emory, Einstein, Tulane, U of Miami...