Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

D1 athlete, 34 Mcat, 4.0 gpa

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by Dr. Agon, 09.26.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Dr. Agon

Dr. Agon

Pre-Medical
    Mcat 34: 11/12/11; ps/vr/bs
    gpa: 4.0
    Ran track at a D1 college (3000+ hours)
    Shadowing 45 hours
    Medical volunteering 45 hours
    non medical 40 hours
    Awards: Top 3 in organic chemistry of 400 person class
    Grew up in rural community and I had to work over the summers so I didn't have time during the summer to volunteer much.
    Obviously my time was full during the school year with track/school and volunteering/shadowing was difficult then as well.

Out of state resident but what are my chances at texas state schools:
    UT southwestern
    Baylor
    UT galveston
    UT San Antonio
    UT Houston
    Texas Tech
    Texas A&M
    UNT

Also, any other recommendation on where else I should try?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. thegypsyqueen

thegypsyqueen 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Texas has huge instate preference (by law their classes are like 90% in state or something). Baylor would give you better odds but it is a very competitive school. You have the stats to have a shot but I wouldn't bank on it. Being a D1 athlete is impressive but your ECs are otherwise average.

4. Dr. Agon

Dr. Agon

Pre-Medical
    Thank you for the input. Although, I have trouble imagining Baylor being easier than A&M or Galveston. Also, the OOS applicant pool isn't as large as one would expect. Probably because of the pain of filling out another application.. Like you said, I'm trying not to get my hopes up. There are some other EC I have such as tutoring, a couple other jobs, and an award. I have already applied to all these schools but if you could think of other great schools I have a better shot at then id love to hear

5. Salaam

Salaam 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think you have a fair shot at getting some interviews at Texas schools. I had a friend from college who applied OOS with similar stats, and he interviewed at about 4 of them. And another OOS state friend with worse stats who now has a full ride to A&M. We also have some D1 athletes in my class at BCM. That's a pretty significant time commitment, so the fact that you were able to pull it off with a great GPA and MCAT school will look good. Best of luck this cycle!

6. chemguy79

chemguy79 New Member Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

I think that @Goro and @gyngyn would provide more feedback, but I remember frequently reading on the board that being a D1 athlete is considered to be "another extracurricular activity" and you will still be expected to have sufficient volunteer/shadowing/clinical hours. You have very solid statistics, but the clinical volunteering is on the scant side. Having TX residency is a major bonus though!

7. Goro

Goro 5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Verified
    Faculty
    100% concur. OP, you need to demonstrate that you actually know what you're getting into and really want to be around sick people for the next 40 years. Thus, you should double (at least) the number of patient contact hrs.

8. gyngyn

gyngyn Professor Gold Donor 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician, Academic Administration
    Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    Faculty
    What is your state of residence?

9. Dr. Agon

Dr. Agon

Pre-Medical
    I am a kansas resident and attended the University of Kansas

10. gyngyn

Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    Faculty
    You have a very good chance at your home school. KS residents have a very high IS matriculation rate (35.3). Your MCAT is well above the median (30) and so is your gpa. Your own school will have a much higher appreciation of your athleticism as well.

Goro likes this.
  11. Dr. Agon

Dr. Agon

Pre-Medical
    Yea. In fact, when I talked to the physicians on the admissions committee they said the hours I have is more than fine given my other statistics. However, tuition in Kansas is terrible and doesn't have the national respect of some of the texas schools. Thanks everyone for the advice. IF I get any interviews I'll post. Also, any other advice on where I could apply?

12. gyngyn

Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    Faculty
    The OOS schools where you would be a good candidate are also pretty pricey and many expect more research than you have posted: Emory, Einstein, Tulane, U of Miami...

13. chemguy79

chemguy79 New Member Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Do you have ties to Texas? Texas takes a rather large % of in-state students, so you may have problems as an OOS resident.

14. Dr. Agon

Dr. Agon

Pre-Medical
    No

Last edited: 09.28.14

About the ads