nicole2

5+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hello, I'm a D2 at a state school with a large dental program. I was thinking about OMFS before I entered dental school but lost confidence after meeting some aggressive classmates who want to pursue OMFS. These past weeks, I've done an externship at the hospital based OMFS and want to at least give it a try before it's too late.

I had good grades in D1 year and ended with mediocre grade the first semester of D2. Haven't checked my ranking but I'm assuming and ~top 15%.
I haven't been engaging in any clubs but will be applying to a leadership position this coming spring semester and will try to start research as well. I have a publication as a second author from a research lab I worked during college.

From what I know, I'll need to start studying for the CBSE and take it in August. Will also shadow some oral surgeons in the area and extern at my school OMFS program.

Here's my question. I only want to apply to OMFS programs in New York for personal reasons. I was thinking about going to New York during breaks to do some externships. Should I extern at more than 1 program in New York? I wonder if the PDs will be exchanging words about me and think I'm not committed at anywhere.
Also, Is it true that 6 year programs also look at your undergrad GPA? My undergrad GPA isn't very good... if it's true, then I'm only limited to 4 year programs.

I want to specialize for sure but I don't know what I want to specialize in if OMFS doesn't work out for me... hopefully I get in right after dental school but if not I'll also consider an internship that pays me.

thanks in advance!

Likkriue

5+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2016
New York City
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
The programs that I know that have externships open are NYU and montefiore right now in NY, rutgers is open for NJ. And no PDs don’t have the time to be thinking about you and messaging other PDs lmao. It is actually a huge benefit to extern, it’s almost a 100% guarantee to receive an interview as long as you are relatively normal during the externship.
Your UG grades depend on the OS program and the med school, so you have to reach out to whatever 6 years you want to apply to and ask.
Here are my priorities for you at this stage of the game, D2 is still early:

CBSE>Externships>start to know your OS faculty in preparation for LORs>Research>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>club(no need).

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Jun 13, 2020
Here's my question. I only want to apply to OMFS programs in New York for personal reasons. I was thinking about going to New York during breaks to do some externships. Should I extern at more than 1 program in New York? I wonder if the PDs will be exchanging words about me and think I'm not committed at anywhere.
Also, Is it true that 6 year programs also look at your undergrad GPA? My undergrad GPA isn't very good... if it's true, then I'm only limited to 4 year programs.
I think your reasons for doing an externship are valid: figuring out if OMFS is right for you.

People extern at multiple places within the same city all the time. Totally fine. Will PDs talk about you with each other? Maybe, maybe not. I doubt it though.

Yes, a lot of 6y programs will look at the UG GPA, but honestly, don't let that deter you from applying to 6y programs if that's the route you want to take. I know a lot of people that matched to 6y programs with mediocre-to-garbage GPAs.

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

desertrat12

5+ Year Member
May 27, 2015
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Do as many externships as you can afford/your school will allow you too/are allowed during the pandemic. Be a normal person at them. Get those interviews. Start studying for the cbse now, crush it in August, or retake in February if needed. You shouldn’t have a problem matching. You seem like a humble person who has put thought into it, good luck!

SilkyJ

5+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2015
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
  2. Resident [Any Field]
It’s pretty unlikely that any PD will be bored enough to spend time talking to other PDs about externs they’ve had. Even if they do, it’s considered standard that students should be extending at multiple locations, it would actually be weird to restrict your externships to only one program in a region. PDs are well aware that quality applicants will be considered at multiple programs; PDs are just as hopeful to land a good resident as applicants are to find a good program.

See a few programs, meet some people, find a place where you’ll fit in well and is aligned with your interests. Make a good impression and be normal haha

Ivy.ch

2+ Year Member
May 6, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
To back up Likkiruie, your priorities right now.

Deciding if you want OS > CBSE >> Externships > LORs >>> Clubs/Research/etc.

I only want to apply to OMFS programs in New York for personal reasons. I

I would really reconsider this. I know people who only applied to certain regions who went unmatched. Lots of people only apply to NYC programs; it's competitive. OMFS is difficult to match when people apply everywhere. Unless you get a killer CBSE, only applying to NYC programs tanks your chances of matches. If it comes down to matching elsewhere and not matching, which would you want?

And yes, 6-year programs definitely look at college GPAs because you need the thumbs up from the medical school. But it's not a huge factor getting an interview unless you have bad grades.

Dr. Anon

5+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2015
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Just took the test, trying to have good contingency plans in place.
Is CBSE a requirement to do an intern year?

Nov 5, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Just took the test, trying to have good contingency plans in place.
Is CBSE a requirement to do an intern year?
It depends on the program. Most programs want a complete applicant who is "matchable" as an intern because it only makes them look better. I did two intern years with scores in the low 50s before improving my score and matching.

Reactions: 1 user

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads