D3 inquiring about OMS residency.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

5RWill

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So it's been some time since i've posted here. I'm now in my 3rd year of dental school as a D3 at UMMC in Mississippi. Long story short came from a med background with lots of shadowing and work experience, always wanted to work with my hands and loved surgery and the OR. Made the switch from med to dental on the premise of OMS.

Amidst in dental school i've worked pretty hard, i wont say as hard as i should've because that simply isn't true. Transitioning from our biomedical masters program to D1 then following D2 left me feeling a little burned out academically at times. I've always gone back and forth about OMS. It's like I tell myself general will be fine but then I get back in the OMS clinic or shadow a surgery and I'm right back at square one. All in all I'm about to commit just on the basis that I have to know whether or not it's feasible. As of right now we're in 16hrs but learning epic and clinic is sort of overloading me. Spend a lot of time at the school spinning my wheels so to speak and trying to take care of my patients where i can get them in (we're at 50% capacity) but am talking to some residents and starting to shadow. That all should clear up for spring semester in which I'm planning to start studying for CBSE, and taking on research my D3 summer term. About to find out my class rank as soon as the academic dean emails me back. I was 19/40 with a 89.333 cumulative D1 year. I've since dropped now with a 3.504 overall GPA. I'm guessing that is going to put me around 27 or so class rank. I understand there is still a ton of time left on the table, mainly will need to kill clinical requirements and CBSE.

I guess I'm asking a rhetorical question because I'm going to shoot my shot at this point but i'm curious. Given my rank/GPA and lack of extra-curriculars. Is a year and a half enough to become a competitive applicant?

Thanks,

Will

Members don't see this ad.

The cbse if you do well will for sure make up quite a bit for your GPA. One and a half years is definitely doable to put together a solid application. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.

Reactions: 6 users
CBSE will def outweigh your rank and GPA. However, keep in mind that the application cycle ends around September/October 1 of next year for you. If you’re shooting to match straight out of dental school, you’d need to give yourself just under 1 year starting today to get the CBSE and application all complete. I know clinic is stressful but I’d start CBSE studying ASAP and shoot to get it done by next August (exam is offered 2x per year - one in Feb other in August), even if it’s just a little bit each day like sketchy micro and pharm

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Your story of the feeling after the Biomedical Masters Program reminds me of Tiger Cubs (in Boy Scouts). Two of my boys were in that.

Tiger Cubs is a year they added to Scouts (in kindergarten - first grade), and I think they (BSA) just wanted more income from popcorn sales. Then, the Scouts get burned out (as mine did) and don’t make Eagle.

You definitely have a chance.

DM me if you want details.

CBSE will def outweigh your rank and GPA. However, keep in mind that the application cycle ends around September/October 1 of next year for you. If you’re shooting to match straight out of dental school, you’d need to give yourself just under 1 year starting today to get the CBSE and application all complete. I know clinic is stressful but I’d start CBSE studying ASAP and shoot to get it done by next August (exam is offered 2x per year - one in Feb other in August), even if it’s just a little bit each day like sketchy micro and pharm

Checked rank today and it was a little worse than i thought. 29/41. Looking back on my GPA D1 spring semester is what has killed me. Finished that with a 3.2, otherwise have maintained a 3.6 or higher every semester. No sense in harping on it though.

That is a little of my worry, is my education or lack there of regarding basic sciences required for CBSE. I didn't realize that it was only offered in Febuary and August. We have 3-4 weeks off this December and I had given thought to starting then. Truthfully i can start as early as November, i just have to get through my perio OSCE as it's a hard stop for the entire class if we don't pass it in two weeks. On that note where does one start studying for CBSE? Go grab a USMLE prep course and get after it?

I'm glad you mentioned the application cycle that hadn't crossed my mind yet, certainly puts a time constraint on things.

Thank you all for the replies I appreciate it.

Checked rank today and it was a little worse than i thought. 29/41. Looking back on my GPA D1 spring semester is what has killed me. Finished that with a 3.2, otherwise have maintained a 3.6 or higher every semester. No sense in harping on it though.

That is a little of my worry, is my education or lack there of regarding basic sciences required for CBSE. I didn't realize that it was only offered in Febuary and August. We have 3-4 weeks off this December and I had given thought to starting then. Truthfully i can start as early as November, i just have to get through my perio OSCE as it's a hard stop for the entire class if we don't pass it in two weeks. On that note where does one start studying for CBSE? Go grab a USMLE prep course and get after it?

I'm glad you mentioned the application cycle that hadn't crossed my mind yet, certainly puts a time constraint on things.

UFAP (Uworld, First Aid, Pathoma) are the go-tos, but there are many routes. The goal is the memorize First Aid. How to do that, though, depends on the person. I PM'd you.

Reactions: 1 user
Does your school not have an OMFS program? Or other classmates applying? Is there not an OMFS club? I ask because you seem a little in the dark about the whole process. Those are really going to be your best resource instead of a blog. The best source of info I found were the residents, other classmates esp for study materials/timelines, program director etc. You should ask for a meeting with the program director or at least an OMFS faculty. In the meantime grab Uworld and start studying and find some programs (and time) that you can go do a week externship at.

Reactions: 3 users
Does your school not have an OMFS program? Or other classmates applying? Is there not an OMFS club? I ask because you seem a little in the dark about the whole process. Those are really going to be your best resource instead of a blog. The best source of info I found were the residents, other classmates esp for study materials/timelines, program director etc. You should ask for a meeting with the program director or at least an OMFS faculty. In the meantime grab Uworld and start studying and find some programs (and time) that you can go do a week externship at.
By program director, do you mean the PD of your schools affiliated OMFS residency? If so, I have never spoken to this person and I wouldn’t even know where to begin

That's quite a low rank. That puts you in the bottom 30% of your class-my guess is that you will be screened out at a lot of programs.

Its true that rank matters less these days for OMFS because many schools are P/F, and the CBSE is considered more important, but if your school ranks, and you're not in at least the top 20 or top 25 percent, it hurts you.

You will need 80 (225) or 85+ to have a shot at getting in at all.

That's quite a low rank. That puts you in the bottom 30% of your class-my guess is that you will be screened out at a lot of programs.

Its true that rank matters less these days for OMFS because many schools are P/F, and the CBSE is considered more important, but if your school ranks, and you're not in at least the top 20 or top 25 percent, it hurts you.

Interesting, what do you base your numbers on? Do you have data to back up an 80 on the CBSE means getting into programs? or is this hyperbole stating this person needs a high scores in other areas?

Reactions: 4 users
Interesting, what do you base your numbers on? Do you have data to back up an 80 on the CBSE means getting into programs? or is this hyperbole stating this person needs a high scores in other areas?
Entirely anecdotal, but my rank was only slightly better than OP and with a CBSE between 80-85 I got interviews. Whether I match is tbd lol

Reactions: 2 users
I don't have data, just mostly anecdotal. I know a few people and have a family friend, that were all below the 50th percentile in terms of rank when they applied to OMFS and the ones that got in on a first attempt had high CBSEs to compensate. The ones that did not or could not get a high CBSE had to do multiple intern years until they got in.

I could be wrong, but it is a fact that scores are going up every year. Even an 80 is nothing special these days.

Members don't see this ad :)
By program director, do you mean the PD of your schools affiliated OMFS residency? If so, I have never spoken to this person and I wouldn’t even know where to begin
Yes. If you are serious about OMFS - or any specialty for that matter - it would behoove you to invest in knowing who the important and not so important people are in that program of study. If that simple task of using the school directory seems too daunting I'm not sure intubating patients should be in your future.

Yes. If you are serious about OMFS - or any specialty for that matter - it would behoove you to invest in knowing who the important and not so important people are in that program of study. If that simple task of using the school directory seems too daunting I'm not sure intubating patients should be in your future.
Wow, thank you, sir. I am sure you will match Michigan, Parkland, MGH or some hot shot program with all the behoovement you have done.

• Haha

Yup it's a concern for sure. I'm hoping RVU count will lift me some but being on 41 students getting into the top 10 now is probably out of reach. I want to get back to where I was at 19. Clinic has been well weird to say the least with COVID. I should've realized that I wanted to do this then and gotten in gear, but hindsight is always 20/20.

I'm currently studying for the CBSE and balancing clinic as best I can with an Externship during spring break here, and trying to get another one in the works if they're accepting applicants now, though last I last I checked they were closed due to COVID.

I don't have a ton to add but I will say maybe messaging nade0016 since he/she is a PD and chairman of a program and obviously will give it to you straight. I know a lot of people really talk about the CBSE here and it's true, the higher the score the more interviews you'll likely get (hence I say likely) but I really think have an overall solid application says a lot about a person and not just a test score. I personally know people with very high CBSE scores but simply didn't match and have no matched yet. My .02, keep working hard and look at each part of your application as a way to separate you from others that are applying. It all has to be good!

I don't have a ton to add but I will say maybe messaging nade0016 since he/she is a PD and chairman of a program and obviously will give it to you straight. I know a lot of people really talk about the CBSE here and it's true, the higher the score the more interviews you'll likely get (hence I say likely) but I really think have an overall solid application says a lot about a person and not just a test score. I personally know people with very high CBSE scores but simply didn't match and have no matched yet. My .02, keep working hard and look at each part of your application as a way to separate you from others that are applying. It all has to be good!
Thank you, I'll send him/her a pm for sure. I agree about the standing as well which is why I'm really trying to hit my benchmarks in Clinic. A strong A in a 72-credit course will propel me forward considerably. It's all a very large balancing act at the moment but I'm pushing forward. I'm hoping CBSE studying covers most of my basic science requirements for boards that will be available this Summer. Not that I intend to take them that early but it would be nice if it more than covered most of that section of the INBDE.

As an update our semester ends tomorrow. Since February I've been studying for CBSE, mainly getting through Pathoma and balancing clinic. Which admittedly hasn't been easy, winding down trying to get my RVU count, pass CGDA, and maintain my grades. Luckily, I've managed nearly a 4.0 this semester. 97 credits overall, with the exception of a single 1 credit ; the Comprehensive General Dentistry Exam or also known as CGDA that our school has started implementing at the end of each academic year for the prospective classes, which our class as a whole didn't do well on. Average was a 77, I botched an RPD stage and ended up with a 75. So that C withstanding I'm hoping 96 credits worth of an A will at the very least make my GPA more bearable. I don't think I will move that much in rank unfortunately, simply because most of our class had As in clinic. Emphasis still lies on CBSE and furthering a more rounded application.

I'm starting research June 1st with our UPSTART program here at UMMC and have recently applied for VP for ASB which I hope to achieve.

I was able to attend a one week externship here at UMMC during spring break on OMFS' Trauma week. It was an absolute blast. I can't remember the last time I had been that physically exhausted but I felt at home, as tongue and cheek as that sounds. Anyway, I just thought I would update the thread and thank you all again. As I'll be posting my progress as we go.

Reactions: 3 users
Another update to this journey. In the last year I've now completed four externships, taken CBSE twice, and landed one interview here at UMMC :)Not the greatest start but this was always going to be an uphill climb and it's no skin off my teeth. I've been fortunate enough to be given the opportunity of a intern position at LSU Shreveport this year. Which I took and am extremely excited about, I externed there and absolutely loved the program. CBSE is still plaguing me. Seemingly the one hurdle I'm having trouble surpassing right now. Taken it twice now and only had little to moderate improvement the second go round. Which was odd this time because I saw dramatic improvements in UWorld. Finished it at 52% correct and my last 20 blocks or so were average or better than average. Might have to start simulating test day with NBMEs more often. So plan is to now graduate and then pick up dedicated and grind out two months and take it July 23rd, to hopefully finally get that score up. I'll be doing some light reading and anki in the meantime to keep it fresh.

Reactions: 6 users
Another update to this journey. In the last year I've now completed four externships, taken CBSE twice, and landed one interview here at UMMC :)Not the greatest start but this was always going to be an uphill climb and it's no skin off my teeth. I've been fortunate enough to be given the opportunity of a intern position at LSU Shreveport this year. Which I took and am extremely excited about, I externed there and absolutely loved the program. CBSE is still plaguing me. Seemingly the one hurdle I'm having trouble surpassing right now. Taken it twice now and only had little to moderate improvement the second go round. Which was odd this time because I saw dramatic improvements in UWorld. Finished it at 52% correct and my last 20 blocks or so were average or better than average. Might have to start simulating test day with NBMEs more often. So plan is to now graduate and then pick up dedicated and grind out two months and take it July 23rd, to hopefully finally get that score up. I'll be doing some light reading and anki in the meantime to keep it fresh.
Start now. Don’t wait until graduation.

Start now. Don’t wait until graduation.
I have and it's proven to be beneficial. Probably a little later than I should've if I'm being honest. But I haven't lost too much still doing well on questions though need some refreshers obviously. Have boards next week and graduation is somewhat taking center due to the time constraints of needing my diploma for the temporary license. So per usual it's going to be an act of balancing one over the other, which has honestly been the most difficult part about the entire journey if I'm being honest.

Well ended up finishing Dental School in may got my rank up to 16th/40 from 29th and finished with a 3.71 overall. Recently took CBSE again for the third time and slightly improved again despite q2 call and trauma month here in Shreveport. Not going to lie, trying to study for that test while juggling residency is brutal. Still pushing forward for match, hoping I don't have to take it again with all the strides I've had but that test seems to be ethe last piece of the puzzle for my application.

So it's been some time since i've posted here. I'm now in my 3rd year of dental school as a D3 at UMMC in Mississippi. Long story short came from a med background with lots of shadowing and work experience, always wanted to work with my hands and loved surgery and the OR. Made the switch from med to dental on the premise of OMS.

Amidst in dental school i've worked pretty hard, i wont say as hard as i should've because that simply isn't true. Transitioning from our biomedical masters program to D1 then following D2 left me feeling a little burned out academically at times. I've always gone back and forth about OMS. It's like I tell myself general will be fine but then I get back in the OMS clinic or shadow a surgery and I'm right back at square one. All in all I'm about to commit just on the basis that I have to know whether or not it's feasible. As of right now we're in 16hrs but learning epic and clinic is sort of overloading me. Spend a lot of time at the school spinning my wheels so to speak and trying to take care of my patients where i can get them in (we're at 50% capacity) but am talking to some residents and starting to shadow. That all should clear up for spring semester in which I'm planning to start studying for CBSE, and taking on research my D3 summer term. About to find out my class rank as soon as the academic dean emails me back. I was 19/40 with a 89.333 cumulative D1 year. I've since dropped now with a 3.504 overall GPA. I'm guessing that is going to put me around 27 or so class rank. I understand there is still a ton of time left on the table, mainly will need to kill clinical requirements and CBSE.

I guess I'm asking a rhetorical question because I'm going to shoot my shot at this point but i'm curious. Given my rank/GPA and lack of extra-curriculars. Is a year and a half enough to become a competitive applicant?

Thanks,

Will

Do you like surgical extractions, their molar extractions, tori removal, ect. and can do that all day long? If yes then keep going you will get there. If you have no idea what I am talking about explore the clinical aspects of OMS first.

Unfortunately schools make you decide early. The best specialists I know where GPs for a year or two and went back to specialty school. They are the most successful in my area because they understand GPs because they were one.

Do you like surgical extractions, their molar extractions, tori removal, ect. and can do that all day long? If yes then keep going you will get there. If you have no idea what I am talking about explore the clinical aspects of OMS first.

Unfortunately schools make you decide early. The best specialists I know where GPs for a year or two and went back to specialty school. They are the most successful in my area because they understand GPs because they were one.
Clinical aspects of oms are about the only portion of dentistry I enjoy if I’m being quite honest. While Q2 call is pretty tough i can honestly say I’ve not been this happy since junior year of college when I first realized I really wanted to do medicine.

My day to day in Shreveport has been call then ACC clinic where we extract thirds, remove tori, drain abscesses, and biopsy lesions. We also do a lot of follow ups and work ups. In the hospital I get to scrub in when extra hands are needed and really love taking care of our flap patients. Also just love suturing as rudimentary as that may sound i just really enjoy reapproximating a huge lac and being satisfied with the results. Not that I’m great at it (yet) but making strides.

Hardest part for me has been notes and presentations. Nothing really prepares you for that at least my dental school didn’t.

Thanks,

Will
Your CBSE will be your ticket to introduce yourself. Consider doing multiple externships to strengthen your application. The combination of good score with externships will probably help take the attention off of your GPA. The rest will be your interview and your interaction.

Your CBSE will be your ticket to introduce yourself. Consider doing multiple externships to strengthen your application. The combination of good score with externships will probably help take the attention off of your GPA. The rest will be your interview and your interaction.
CBSE is still low unfortunately. Though I managed to jump 13 spots in rank and finish with a 3.71 overall, plus the internship here at LSU shreveport. I'm hoping that will open some doors for interviews. I've consistently gone up on CBSE but not made the jump I've been looking for.

CBSE is still low unfortunately. Though I managed to jump 13 spots in rank and finish with a 3.71 overall, plus the internship here at LSU shreveport. I'm hoping that will open some doors for interviews. I've consistently gone up on CBSE but not made the jump I've been looking for.
Apply everywhere you can possibly afford. It’s a numbers game at the end of the day.

Well guys i ended up matching here in Shreveport! I’m still kind of in shock but am grateful for all the help through these last three years.

Reactions: 23 users
Well guys i ended up matching here in Shreveport! I’m still kind of in shock but am grateful for all the help through these last three years.
Happy Season 9 GIF by The Office

• Love