Da

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

me2005

me2005
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone plz explain

1}what is lamina dura and where is it found?Any explanation other than that it is a a layer of alveolar bone in the socket.
Is it found in the periodontium?If yes then what does it signify there?

Thankx

Members don't see this ad.

lamina dura is basically a radigraphic term used to describe the thin radioapaque layer of dense bone that lines the alveolar socket, so remember that the term is usually used in radiographic terms. developmentally the lamina dura is an extension of the lining of the bony crypt that surrounds each tooth during development.
hope this helps!

charmee said:
lamina dura is basically a radigraphic term used to describe the thin radioapaque layer of dense bone that lines the alveolar socket, so remember that the term is usually used in radiographic terms. developmentally the lamina dura is an extension of the lining of the bony crypt that surrounds each tooth during development.
hope this helps!

Would it be correct to state lamina dura as a part of periodontium?

Members don't see this ad :)
nbc said:
Would it be correct to state lamina dura as a part of periodontium?

Also there was a question in the exam as to what a lamina dura is closest to or rather a content of?

nbc said:
Also there was a question in the exam as to what a lamina dura is closest to or rather a content of?

Could you please post the question with possible answers? Thanks.

me2005 said:
Can anyone plz explain

1}what is lamina dura and where is it found?Any explanation other than that it is a a layer of alveolar bone in the socket.
Is it found in the periodontium?If yes then what does it signify there?

Thankx
Lamina dura is part of the periodontium (it is the radiographic term used to describe the thick bone lining the alv socket). Its significance is that an intact lamina dura represents a healthy periodontium, whereas a discontinuous lamina dura is indicative of periodontal disease.