This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xoxojavachip

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Question...

So I came from another country to California when I was in elementary school under the business visa (my parents were doing business overseas). However during middle school, my parents divorced and my mom remarried to an American Citizen (our visa was renewed and eventually expired as well while trying to get our citizenship... not sure what was going on during this time since my mom and step dad were doing most of the legality paper works).

My previous lawyer (was a crook and scammed our family) helped us with the immigration situation and got us approved and somehow he wanted to "delay" it and made our family submit paperwork that made us get "denied" several times. It was a total mess and made our case EXTREMELY "complex" - however during this time we were able to get a SSN (social security number) and I have had a driving license since high school.

Our current lawyer is trying to fix our paperwork mess since the homeland security wont overlook the fact that we were approved before the paper work mess. I believe we were also "adopted" by our step dad (US citizen) to by the previous crook lawyer to make us forgo the greencard and go straight for citizenship as well (made our paperwork complex in the process?? BUT.. i am not sure).

I graduated from a UC (California university) and a private university (I was double majoring by going to two universities nearby since state schools have unit cap). I paid in-state tuition as a CA resident.

I am planning to apply for dental school for upcoming June 2017. I am worried if they will view be as "international" or "undocumented" student. I am considered a California resident by my undergrad universities and have been paying in-state schools and went to public grade schools from kindergarten to high school. I am technically not an undocumented since I have SSN and driver's license but I do not have a citizenship nor greencard yet. I am currently/have been allowed to stay in the U.S. legally and have been going to court almost every year or two to get the paper works and for our case to progress somewhere (whenever a court tries to get a new date for more paperworks or update.... they schedule it one year or two years later... which is a pretty long time).

I really need help and some advise in where i can apply for dental school that are friendly towards DACA (I think this is my status right now... i believe I heard my lawyer say this) prospective student.

Finances will be of no issue for me and I can prove that I can pay/fund 4 years of my dental school through my bank account. I know most schools are afraid to admit DACA or similar situated students due to fiances or their unfamiliarity with DACA students.

It is a dilemma for me... I believe most private school are less restrictive about in-state/out-of-state/international students... But I am kind of in a limbo and have been searching up everywhere. So far all I can find is UCSF being the first school to admit a DACA student.

Even if they would consider me as international (i would find that odd since I consider myself as CA resident and so did my undergrad universities)... my other worry is my semi low GPA of 3.16 cumulative. I did horrible my first 2.5 years of school and started to show upward trend. I have good Extra-curricular with lots of leaderships in organization, research for 3.5 years (published a paper as a primary author as well), volunteer hours, Teacher Assistant position in gross anatomy, scholarship awards for research, and dentist shadowing). I am currently studying for the DAT and I believe I can score around 20+ (goal is around 23 or and dream to score 25+). Practice test scores for my DAT has been pretty decent.... so hopefully I can score high.

Anyone in similar situation or know any more information on applying for dental school for students like me??
Thank you and please please any advice will do!

Currently looking at schools like Loma Linda, USC, NYU, UCSF, UCLA, Western, etc.... Any other out of state dental school that you may recommend?? (though... California dental school acceptance is pretty tough due to their high GPA avgs).
3.15 will be near impossible to compensate for as an international of any sort. If your science gpa is below a 3 - the answer would be no, there is no chance. I would do a postbacc of sorts and apply - your gpa will improve and you will be in a better footing regarding reaidency and what not. Just my two cents.

I've checked some schools (not all) and schools that consider applications from DACA students are: Oregon, Ohio, New England, UNLV, Baylor (other two Texas schools don't allow), Temple, Indiana, NYU, Western, Loma L, Tufts, Oklahoma, Roseman, Touro, Midwestern (AZ), Midwestern (IL), Louisville.

Some schools strictly said "no" including A.T. Still universities in Arizona and Missouri, UT schools (SA, Houston); basically, any school that strictly says they only review and consider applications from U.S. citizens and permanent residents only won't allow DACA.

I never got a reply from Georgia, Tennessee, Arthur A. Dugoni, UMKC, Buffalo (I've got a reply from Buffalo but I had to go through some verification steps and it's taking them a while).

As you can see, I've checked the schools in my level and obviously haven't checked the top schools so if you want to check and make sure, call them or send them an email.

Those schools I mentioned above consider you only if you're a DACA student (some private schools might consider regular undocumented but I specified that I'm DACA so you might wanna double check.).

Also, among the schools that allow DACA student to apply, some will let you apply as permanent resident (especially if they are in the same state which you're a resident of) and some schools will treat you as an international students because of the financial aid aspect (since DACA aren't eligible for financial aid). This is another concern for me since I'm not eligible for federal loans and that means I have to get private loans with high interest rates (and I'm not even sure if they'd let me borrow that much money even though my credit score is 800).. I have a few U.S. citizens that are willing to co-sign for me so I'm hoping that'd be enough.

Anyways, good luck and PM me if you have any question.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
u should find some male/female sweetheart who is an American citizen and get married (true love will come out eventually)

3 months later, BAM, the green card arrives.

you will then be a permanent resident. the mountain you have to claim will be some hills.

u should find some male/female sweetheart who is an American citizen and get married (true love will come out eventually)

you will then be a permanent resident. the mountain you have to claim will be some hills.
Haha... only if that was that easy.

I am almost certain this guy is korean too hahahahaha

you should definitely think about this. like its said above, you can ditch the lawyer, get married to your bf, and you will be GUARANTEED the green card and cough cough "permanent resident status"

which makes dental school admission a lot easier and have more room to breathe.

green card through marriage in US is an independent process that does not depend on previous paperwork,e tc etc, at least to my understanding.

I'm jealous that you have that option lol. Even if I get in, I have to get private loans since I won't qualify for federal loan programs. I've been good with my credit and it's near 800 but idk if the loan companies will approve my student loan (I mean, I've been approved for car loans and stuff but idk about 300,000 student loan) or not. Anyways, it's your choice. If you don't want to get married (even if it's not green card marriage since you've been in that relationship for a long time), then shouldn't no matter what others say.

Do you think your parents or family members would be willing to help you out with the bills/fees? If not you might have to go to private or non-federal loan companies that would be more willing to lend you money for the tuition. I believe most would be willing since student loans cant be eliminated through bankruptcy so for them it would be considered "safe" to loan... but I am not sure. Also try to see if there are scholarship in your state for DACA students. I know there are some in CA.