DACA Dental/Pre-dental students? (please ignore if you don't know what DACA is)

Jul 21, 2013
Status
Pre-Dental
Hi... I am in the same/similar situation as you are. Do you have some schools already in mind that you would be applying to with the current status?? (Also I made a question post similar to yours but more with my background info)

For now.. I am thinking of just looking into mostly private universities since they are less restrictive between in-state/out of state/international compared to public schools. I heard some schools ask proof that you are able to pay for the school 2 years and/or pay 1 year of school tuition in advance (from other people's post from med/dental schools as a daca and undocumented prospective students).

Do you have a SSN and driver's license? (Some post made a comment about you need to have SSN to take the board's exam... )

Please let me know if you have also found out about anything.

I am also a California resident and the schools that I really want to go and apply so far are Loma Linda, NYU, UCSF, USC, UOP, Western .... and still searching. Most of the schools I want to apply have pretty high/competitive stats and it worries because my academic stats are low but extra-curricular is very good. I am planning to make up my gpa with the high DAT score.

Jul 21, 2013
Status
Pre-Dental
Oh and some of the schools that I have been checking states in their requirement sections that the prospective student must be either US citizen or a resident "x" state (greencard holders) as a must .... :( so i am bit discouraged and sad about this since it keeps reducing my "list of schools to apply to"

Very few schools stated DACA (allow and not allow... most does not allow DACA/undocumented/and international students not favored as much ).. :(

Jul 21, 2013
Status
Pre-Dental
Yes I have driver's license and SNN for a long time. I checked and I am a DACA as well. Are you going to apply the upcoming June (2017 - next cycle)?

I think ill pm you around that time so maybe we can share new list of schools (and new information) to apply for as a DACA status.

I think I got confused since some school th0ught DACA was undocumented students. I think they are confused as well since if you are undocumented they dont have SSN or driver's license (not sure about now).

As mentioned before:
Also I heard there are loans/ scholarships specifically for DACA students. If you need help paying for schools, some DACA students (med/dental/and other professional school students) made crowdfunding or gofundme pages. Most of the schools that approve international or DACA students wants to see that you are able to pay by paying one year in the tuition/ and showing up to 3 years of ability to pay the tuition. If your stats are good and have good EC's, I think right now (aside from finding out which schools accept DACA) is to look up those scholarships/loans specifically for DACA students. Find out their apply deadline, etc...

Thank you again :)