DACA status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Microbug

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Asking for a friend, how would DACA status affect his application this or next cycle in current political climate?

Members don't see this ad.

Asking for a friend, how would DACA status affect his application this or next cycle in current political climate?

From what I understand, most medical schools do not care about your DACA status. However, what I have seen is that
  1. His DACA status must remain current. If at any time he loses his status, he will not be able to continue in the school.
  2. He will not be able to get any loans for medical school. So I hope he can pay.
But in terms of admissions, it shouldn't make a difference.

Reactions: 1 users
Is DACA applicants considered in the pool of international students?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, I am a current DACA recipient and MS1, please message me privately if you'd like to speak about the current climate. And depending on the school we might be considered international students, but I wouldn't recommend applying to those schools, bc enrolling is difficult and the support systems needed aren't there. To correct a prior post, you can get private loans with a U.S citizen co signer but not any federal financial aid. Schools can also give you scholarships from their end if you qualify. Your ability to finish medical school does not depend on DACA status. (There is one current MD who completed medical school school BEFORE the DACA program was created). DACA however is crucial for your ability to match and complete your residency.

Reactions: 3 users
Here's an interesting story from a magazine about the largest group of DACA students in the country.

Loyola’s DACA Medical Students, Largest Group in the Country, Plagued with Uncertainty

Mark Kuczewski who got the ball rolling at Loyola is a well known bioethicist.

Another good article in NEJM if you have access: http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp1713102

Hello, I am a current DACA recipient and MS1, please message me privately if you'd like to speak about the current climate. And depending on the school we might be considered international students, but I wouldn't recommend applying to those schools, bc enrolling is difficult and the support systems needed aren't there. To correct a prior post, you can get private loans with a U.S citizen co signer but not any federal financial aid. Schools can also give you scholarships from their end if you qualify. Your ability to finish medical school does not depend on DACA status. (There is one current MD who completed medical school school BEFORE the DACA program was created). DACA however is crucial for your ability to match and complete your residency.

You're a star! I wish you the best and I'll be doing what I can this midterm to get voters out.

Reactions: 2 users
I have nothing informative to add but best of luck to your friend. I was pre-DACA and it put me out of school for 4 years fighting for my eventual permanent residency. I was incredibly fortunate and I know how dehumanizing and frightening the process can feel. They are not alone and are lucky to have you, OP. Be strong.

Reactions: 3 users