DACAmented Medical Students in Re: Trump Presidency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Teddybearsrock

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am really concerned as to what will happen to current and upcoming DACA students wishing to enroll in medical school and/or continue on to residency post medical school graduation. LMSA/SNMA have worked continuously to advocate for the rights of DACA and undocumented individuals but, with the current trend politics is going, it seems we are headed in the opposite way and this is cause for great concern for students who may lose their deferred status and ability to obtain work permits in the U.S. Does anyone have any insight into the way medical schools may gear up for this especially if DACA was to be withdrawn by a trump presidency.

Members don't see this ad.

Would representatives from medical schools with DACA students be willing to comment on how their administration will be handling DACA applications this admission cycle? Will any DACA students be admitted considering the looming Trump presidency?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone, current DACA applicant, one acceptance, 4 interviews this cycle. Feel free to PM me for any questions! I also attended a forum specifically addressing this issue and I can share the docs we received!

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone, current DACA applicant, one acceptance, 4 interviews this cycle. Feel free to PM me for any questions! I also attended a forum specifically addressing this issue and I can share the docs we received!
I was wondering if you have any advice on applying to schools and any application advice in general as a DACA student?

I was wondering if you have any advice on applying to schools and any application advice in general as a DACA student?

GENERAL TIMELINE:
1. Consult list of DACA friendly schools published by the AAMC. [~January]
2. Use MSAR to determine to which schools you plan to apply (should be mostly private). [~March]
3. Create a rank list and call/email schools to ensure their policies regarding DACA applicants has not changed. [~May]
4. Complete AMCAS primary and secondary applications as soon a possible (ideally complete in June/July).
5. Wait and hope for the best!

Of course, prepare your personal statement, descriptions of extracurricular activities, and letters of recommendations/committee letter well ahead of time.

HELPFUL TIPS:
Sending significant updates and re-emphasizing your interest to schools may be beneficial.
Connect with a current DACA medical student - they are truly invaluable resources!

Let me know if have any specific questions. Most of the process is very similar to traditional applicants.

Reactions: 2 users
Trump suggested he'll get rid of it on day one of his Presidency back in the campaign trail, but has since changed his tone it seems.

I think there's a good possibility that he'll keep it. At least for now. He did say he will "work something out" for the Dreamers when asked a few days/ weeks ago.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, I am DACA student applying for 2018 cycle.
Honestly, there's no telling, but if you really want to be a physician, just apply, just do it.
Until he actually DOES something, I'm going to apply and do whatever in my power to pursue my career.
MSAR actually has a section (I think starting like last yearish?) that states whether they accept DACA or not.
So I narrowed my list from that and then narrowed down to the schools that match my GPA and MCAT range.
Trust me, I use to be frantic and freaking out about this whole DACA and Trump thing. But I calmed down and best thing to do is just work on your goals.