Dalhousie Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

golfpro3

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I was just accepted to Dalhousie University Dental School, in Halifax, Nova Scotia last week, and I thought I better make my first post.

I am from the states and interviewed at VCU, Louisville, Indiana, and Dalhousie. So far Dalhousie is my first acceptance. I really liked Dalhousie when I interviewed there and think it will be an excellent place to go. They have a small class size of 34-36 students and you get a lot of personal attention from the instructors.

I am for sure coming back to the states to practice once I graduate. I will take the U.S. written national boards (same as everyone else) after my second year, and then take the Western regional clinical boards after the 4th year. I am confident that I will receive just as good of a dental school education and experience if not better than if at U.S. school.

I also wanted to get the word out to everyone applying next year to check the school out. They accept at least 30 Canadians and now 6 U.S. (or international) students a year. I have several friends from the states there now in their first, second, and third year, and they all love it there. Lots of good fishing and outdoor stuff to do.

Dalhousie's web address is http://www.dentistry.dal.ca/

I am interested to hear what other people have head or know of Dalhousie, especially any Canadians who are familiar with the school and Halifax area. I would love to hear any feedback.

Oh, I know someone would ask, so my stats are: GPA 3.0, DAT 18aa/18ts/18pat. With awesome experience and service/extracurricular activities.

Members don't see this ad.

Golfpro,

Im from Canada, although the opposite coast (Vancouver), but Ive hard only great things about Dalhousie. They have a good program, clinical and didactic, and the small class sizes is definately an asset esp with you get into the lab and clinic. Plus, its all reasonable priced, and for you paying in US funds, cant go wrong.

Good choice, and good luck!

golfpro3 said:
Oh, I know someone would ask, so my stats are: GPA 3.0, DAT 18aa/18ts/18pat. With awesome experience and service/extracurricular activities.

I thought Canadian schools accept people with very high stats (GPA 3.9, 23AA,..). Anyway, congrats golfpro3! It seems like a good school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dalhousie is a dental school known to be very friendly to American applicants....also, the University of Toronto accepts some US students every year, and their stats for American applicants is much lower than Canadians, so it might be any idea for predents applying right now to consider these two schools. Remember, dental degrees are accepted across the border at par.

Regarding the OPs question about Halifax....I have never been, but one of my best friends is from there and has told me a lot about it....it depends on what type of person you are......if you are a big city person, Halifax is not for you......although its one of Canada's larger cities, that doesnt say much.....if you are the type that likes the NYC feeling, Toronto would be for you. Halifax has a lot of students and has more of a United Kingdom feeling to it (in the same sense that Boston would)........also my friend told me that Maritimers connect more with New Englanders than the rest of Canada.....a lot of SEAFOOD AND FISHING.....so that should give you an idea of what its like in Halifax.

As far as the school, I know Dalhousie is rated one of the best schools to go for undergraduate studies in, but for dental, I have no clue....sorry.

Congrats! Dalhousie is a really good school from what I've heard. I agree with Avin when he said that more Americans should check out Dalhousie and U of T. I believe they take a half-dozen Americans every year and don't hold them to the same GPA standards as Canadian students. Canadian schools are a whole lot cheaper and you can always go back to the States to practice. Good luck.

Our professor for our Dental Hard Tissues module was a prof. from Dalhousie, and he is far-and-away THE best professor we've had thus far. Very caring and extremely knowledable. If he is the norm for Dalhousie profs, then I'd say you are in for an excellent educational experience!

Congrats on the acceptance.

Hey Golfpro3,
With the list of schools you interviewed at, I am thinking you must be attending a university in Utah. Am I correct? Congrats on Dalhousie, I too have heard great things about this school!
Good luck! :thumbup:

cochino said:
Hey Golfpro3,
With the list of schools you interviewed at, I am thinking you must be attending a university in Utah. Am I correct? Congrats on Dalhousie, I too have heard great things about this school!
Good luck! :thumbup:

If that is correct, then he and I most likely attended the same school.

yep, you guys would make good detectives. I'm from Utah. By the way, I talked with VCU last week, and they still haven't sent out enough acceptances to fill their class yet. They told me to hang tight and they would let me know soon. I don't know how much longer. It seems that they haven't been as organized this year, but I still think it is a good school. Has anyone else heard anything lately from VCU?

Golfpro,
I attended USU for my undergrad and I am currently a student at VCU. I know that on April 19th VCU sent out a handfull of acceptance letters for the D1 class and two days ago they sent D.5 acceptances out for Virginia residents. Hang tight, I am sure you will here some good news, and if not you are still in a great situation with Dalhousie! If you have any questions about VCU, feel free to fire away!
Suerte

Dalhousie is a dental school known to be very friendly to American applicants....also, the University of Toronto accepts some US students every year, and their stats for American applicants is much lower than Canadians, so it might be any idea for predents applying right now to consider these two schools.

That's very generous from these two schools. We Canadians have to study our butts out, while US applicants can get away from it. Hopefully next time when you see a Canadian, remember to be nice to him/her and pay a bit more attention to what is going on in Canada.... I wonder how many of you in the states know who the current prime minister is in Canada or the name for the newest Canadian territory.... Of course, after saying this, many of you would probably do an on-line search and get the answers.... :p

Oh dear, got to study now for tomorrow's final exam........... Wish me luck.... Oh yea, tomorrow we'll have BBQ and then parties all day long.......which is all that I can remember from my brain right now.... :)

the big wand said:
That's very generous from these two schools. We Canadians have to study our butts out, while US applicants can get away from it. Hopefully next time when you see a Canadian, remember to be nice to him/her and pay a bit more attention to what is going on in Canada.... I wonder how many of you in the states know who the current prime minister is in Canada or the name for the newest Canadian territory.... Of course, after saying this, many of you would probably do an on-line search and get the answers.... :p

Oh dear, got to study now for tomorrow's final exam........... Wish me luck.... Oh yea, tomorrow we'll have BBQ and then parties all day long.......which is all that I can remember from my brain right now.... :)

In defense of my american friends, I bet you that most Canadians do not even know who are current PM is or what the name of our new territory is...

Current PM is Paul Martin

The newest territory I heard is Nunavit it ain't that new.

I don't know what assumptions you make Avin but if you know it and I know, that's 2 for 2...just coz you know of some ignorant Canadians doesn't mean we all are.

Woodsy said:
Current PM is Paul Martin

The newest territory I heard is Nunavit it ain't that new.

I don't know what assumptions you make Avin but if you know it and I know, that's 2 for 2...just coz you know of some ignorant Canadians doesn't mean we all are.

Actually Woodsy, I never pointed any finger towards you, so I dont know why you got all defensive.....also, you're well educated, so I would expect (and hope) that you would know that, but you spelled Nunavut wrong :D

My point was is that if you randomly walk and ask 10 Canadians these two questions, I have no faith that most of them would know the answers.

not so much defensive, I was just defending canadians hehe

golfpro3 said:
Well, I was just accepted to Dalhousie University Dental School, in Halifax, Nova Scotia last week, and I thought I better make my first post.

I am from the states and interviewed at VCU, Louisville, Indiana, and Dalhousie. So far Dalhousie is my first acceptance. I really liked Dalhousie when I interviewed there and think it will be an excellent place to go. They have a small class size of 34-36 students and you get a lot of personal attention from the instructors.

I am for sure coming back to the states to practice once I graduate. I will take the U.S. written national boards (same as everyone else) after my second year, and then take the Western regional clinical boards after the 4th year. I am confident that I will receive just as good of a dental school education and experience if not better than if at U.S. school.

I also wanted to get the word out to everyone applying next year to check the school out. They accept at least 30 Canadians and now 6 U.S. (or international) students a year. I have several friends from the states there now in their first, second, and third year, and they all love it there. Lots of good fishing and outdoor stuff to do.

Dalhousie's web address is http://www.dentistry.dal.ca/

I am interested to hear what other people have head or know of Dalhousie, especially any Canadians who are familiar with the school and Halifax area. I would love to hear any feedback.

Just asking how come you received your acceptance so early when the Canadian students haven't received anything yet? I don't think Dalhousie accepts people until May or so. I know that interviews were in March. Perhaps I am wrong..