Dalhousie Pre-pharmacy 11-12

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Funny thing is, I just got a call today for my interview, hawooooo!

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah that's what I remember from last year too..I'm
Sure they'll be going on for a while :) let us know!!!

Just got my call this afternoon:) looking forward to it, very excited!! Good luck to everyone

Funny thing is, I just got a call today for my interview, hawooooo!

Congrats!

Did you also send in your application early? Im trying to see if that is the trend for calls for interviews..

Members don't see this ad :)
wow, awesome guys :) congrats!!! we should all keep this thread going and maybe discuss some things for the interview as it approaches, once we are all done of exams and what not? :p

also, just wondering what your guys' averages were for just the pre req classes? Mine is an ~87. Id be curious to know the range of the grades accepted...

Last edited:
Wow, I haven't been on this forum for so long, I didn't know that my thread was still growing lol. I just got my phone call for the interview from Margaret, and my interview is going to be on Sunday. In case anybody is wondering, my last name starts with an E, and I am a Maritime applicant, applying from Dalhousie University. And I'm in my first year, but I don't think it really matters when it comes to the order in which they call people for interviews. Good luck everyone!

wow, awesome guys :) congrats!!! we should all keep this thread going and maybe discuss some things for the interview as it approaches, once we are all done of exams and what not? :p

also, just wondering what your guys' averages were for just the pre req classes? Mine is an ~87. Id be curious to know the range of the grades accepted...

My GPA so far is 4.3.

Wow, I haven't been on this forum for so long, I didn't know that my thread was still growing lol. I just got my phone call for the interview from Margaret, and my interview is going to be on Sunday. In case anybody is wondering, my last name starts with an E, and I am a Maritime applicant, applying from Dalhousie University. And I'm in my first year, but I don't think it really matters when it comes to the order in which they call people for interviews. Good luck everyone!
seems like there is absolutely no rhyme or reason to the order they phone people. id LOVE to know, lol. mine is on sunday as well, at 11am! margaret asked if i wanted 8am or 11am, i figured the more time to prepare the better but now i feel like i just want to get it over with

seems like there is absolutely no rhyme or reason to the order they phone people. id LOVE to know, lol. mine is on sunday as well, at 11am! margaret asked if i wanted 8am or 11am, i figured the more time to prepare the better but now i feel like i just want to get it over with

I also have Sunday at 11am!

Any ideas why there are interviews so early? The Dalhousie pharmacy websites indicates interviews take place on April, 28th and 29th..
That's when they are.

What do you mean by early?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how the acceptance works from here? Is it solely based on interview? Or are marks still a consideration?

Is anyone from NB driving down for their interview? My parents are away that weekend and the buses aren't running. My interview is April 29 @ 11:00am. I'm female, of smallish size and can pay half of gas. I've also done the MMI interview last year and we can chat about it on the drive there haha (of course can't give out exact questions)

PM me if possible?

@ jszy - sorry I'm from nova scotia.. hopefully you figure something out!!!

@Hope2Be - as far as i know the acceptance is based on your interview score + average.. but i could be wrong. ie: if someone has 100 average, does okay in interview, someone has 50 average, does okay in interview, person with higher average gets in. thats obviously a huge exaggeration but i think it gets my point across haha. i think the interview may be weighted more heavily than the marks but im not positive

Grades still count for consideration, but it is more weighted towards the interview.
There is no particular order in which they call people; they just call. They started calling early this year in the event that there was a strike to occur at Dal. Goodluck everyone!

I heard that it's 60% marks and 40% interview.

Anyone else scared they are going to walk in and read an interview question and have no idea how to even begin to approach it? I feel confident but then just fear of the unknown is making me freak out. :scared:

Hey all,

I'm a current first-year and I found this forum to be very helpful for calming the nerves and keeping up to date during the entire maddening interview/acceptance process. I believe I found out pretty late that I had an interview (maybe a couple weeks before) and then I didn't find out until the middle of July that I had gotten in (by which time I had been rejected by two other schools and had given up hope). If anyone has any specific questions for me about my experience, the interview, the selection process or about the college or pharmacy in general, feel free to ask away.

Does anyone happen to know if they are still calling people for interviews ?!

Has anyone received the email we are supposed to get containing information about the interview?

@Hope 2012 - i didnt receive anything, i thought we would have by now!
@fents - im not sure!!
@JWillman - did you find the questions to be outrageous or were they pretty reasonable? i know youre not allowed to disclose the questions but, in general were they pretty fair?

Just got my confirmation email!! Doesn't seem to be an attachment of the map like it says there is though..any one else notice that or was it just my email?

I just got mine as well! I have a map attached to my email..

Any chance you could send it to me in a private message?

I'll be volunteering to help out with the interviews both dates, so see you all there! Good luck!

The questions are fair. It's just important to know yourself, and be able to reason logically on the spot when given a particular situation. Just speak clearly and explain your points the best you can.

Last edited:
The questions are definitely fair. I don't think you need to worry about not being able to come up with anything. Many of them are personal opinion questions, so there is no right or wrong answer per se, you just have to be able to explain your reasoning. Also, you get two minutes to read the questions before you go in to answer them, so don't worry about that!

One of the best things about the MMI interview process is that each new station gives you a chance to start over. If you have a bad station, just brush it off and move on to the next one. Everyone that I've talked to who's in the program now had bad and good stations, so you're not alone!

I'll be volunteering for the interviews on Sunday, so good luck to everyone and I'll see some of you on the 29th!

Great, thanks for making me feel at ease. See you Sunday :p

Hey Special K, as the others have said, the questions are definitely fair! I actually enjoyed this interview process as opposed to say the behavioural interview, which Dal used to use and other schools like Memorial still do. Basically, if you're a good person, you're probably going to say the right things. The most important thing is to be confident and to demonstrate that you care. If you are nervous about it (natural) I found it helpful to review the basic medical ethical principles (Benificience, non-malificience, autonomy, justice, honesty and informed consent)so that you have a basis for your arguments for whatever opinions you express during your interview questions. This is in no way necessary but I found it helped me.

See you on Sunday!

Thanks a ton!! :) also..what did you (or anyone who would like to answer) wear?

I emailed Margaret back to confirm I was attending the interview, and also asked for a copy of the map..which I didn't get! I hope I get it before Sunday!

Do you know if the questions are all scenario type questions or are there some that are "typical" interview questions that are not scenario-based?

From the Dal Pharmacy site:

"In the MMI the applicants rotate through 8-10 stations where they are presented with a scenario that requires them to discuss an issue, answer a traditional interview question, or interact with a standardized actor playing a pre-specified role."

You'll want to look pretty spiffy. Most guys wore suits and girls wore professional skirts, blouses etc. I don't think I wore a suit actually, but a nice dress shirt, dress pants, tie (with a tie clip) and dress shoes.

For the guys, you should definitely wear a full suit including tie and jacket. That's what I wore and what most other guys had on. The odd guy with just a dress shirt and no jacket actually looked very out of place.

I'm a girl, and I have dress pants and a blazer and a nice blouse for underneath. I wanted to go with a skirt but I couldn't find any professional looking ones. I hope I don't stick out in a bad way!

Nope, that sounds fine! Dress pants or skirts is what most girls tend to wear for the interview.

Great! I think I'm all set then.. heading to Halifax tomorrow morning! I met with a friend of mine who is in first year this week and she really calmed my nerves just by letting me know what to expect (not question wise, don't worry :laugh:), just the environment more or less.

Do you get informed if you don't get awarded an interview? I spoke with Margaret 2 weeks ago and was told I was on the undecided list. I phoned yesterday and emailed today but didn't get a reply to either. Given that tomorrow is the last day to find out I'm super annoyed to not know one way or the other.

Hmmm i know a girl at my school who was waiting to hear also and i dont think she heard either way yet either..:(

Anyone that did the interview today want to update us on how it went?? Im getting pretty nervous for tomorrow :scared:

So am I!!!! Nervousness didn't kick in until now. What time are you heading over tomorrow? My friend suggested leave early because once youre in the building it's hard to find..just a heads up :)

Hope everyone did well! I had fun with the experience believe it or not.

Hope everyone did well! I had fun with the experience believe it or not.

Yeah, I really liked the type of interview and everyone was friendly..just have no direction on how I did!

Hope everyone did well, I found it really fair. Everyone post here when you find out!

Hey guys, I didn't see another post for Dal, so I figured my questions would be best asked in here.

I am going to apply to pharmacy school next year, and I am a current Dal student. The main thing I'm worried about are my grades. I took all the pre reqs this year but I was wondering if I should retake some? I only had a B- in Calculus and a B- in first semester English. And I noticed that on the dal pharm site it says that all applicants must finish with a 70% (B-), but if I am correct, a B- in calculus is only 65-70 or something like that because of the different grading schemes. Would you just recommend e-mailing the coordinator about that, because I really don't enjoy calculus and wouldn't like to take it again :p. I managed to finish with a 3.5ish GPA even after I blew my first semester and am hoping to get it up to a 3.6 or higher after my first semester next year, do you guys think that would be competitive enough for an interview?
Thanks, and I hope all of you did well on your interviews!