Dallas and Houston prelim surgery experiences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Womb Raider

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going into rads and planning on doing a surgery prelim year. I was wondering if anyone here could share their experiences at Texas prelim surgery programs. I'm most interested in Dallas and Houston (UTSW, BUMC, Methodist, BCM, UTH).

Were you treated the same as categoricals? How did the residents/faculty get along? How malignant? How much OR time? Etc

I'm considering going to a smaller community program rather than a huge academic center for the increased exposure and less hostile environment, but really not sure yet.

Members don't see this ad.

There is no good reason to do a surgery prelim year if you're headed to radiology. It's a waste of time. Do a transitional year, enjoy life.

Reactions: 2 users
There is no good reason to do a surgery prelim year if you're headed to radiology. It's a waste of time. Do a transitional year, enjoy life.
I think the conventional wisdom is it looks better for those interested in IR.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes @doc05 always advises against Surgery (for unknown reasons).

FWIW I’m not sure you want to be “treated the same as categorical”. You want to be in the OR?
Well, I suppose I don't mind doing different things as the categorical residents if it’s to cultivate the knowledge I would need to be successful in IR. However, it's my understanding (from recent interns doing surg prelims) that some programs treat the prelim guys worse (less respect, more "b**** work", give the categoricals priority in every decision (scheduling, OR time, etc...)) and it just sounds like a miserable experience. OTOH, some of my buddies have had great prelims and were treated "the same as the categoricals" whatever that means, but it seemed to be a positive.

I get it. We'll be gone in 1 year, so who cares. I can't even say with certainty that I'd treat prelims the same as my categoricals if I was in charge... I'm pretty sure I can deal with almost anything for just one year, but why subject myself to BS if I don't have to, you know?

Last edited:
Well, I suppose I don't mind doing different things as the categorical residents if it’s to cultivate the knowledge I would need to be successful in IR. However, it's my understanding (from recent interns doing surg prelims) that some programs treat the prelim guys worse (less respect, more "b**** work", give the categoricals priority in every decision (scheduling, OR time, etc...)) and it just sounds like a miserable experience. OTOH, some of my buddies have had great prelims and were treated "the same as the categoricals" whatever that means, but it seemed to be a positive.

I get it. We'll be gone in 1 year, so who cares. I can't even say with certainty that I'd treat prelims the same as my categoricals if I was in charge... I'm pretty sure I can deal with almost anything for just one year, but why subject myself to BS if I don't have to, you know?

Surgical training is endless BS. It's even worse for prelims. No reason to subject yourself to it if you're doing radiology.

I think the conventional wisdom is it looks better for those interested in IR.

No idea why. Endless scut doesn't make you better at IR. And as an intern going to the OR means holding a retractor, so you won't develop technical skills. Don't do it. Enjoy your life.

No idea why. Endless scut doesn't make you better at IR. And as an intern going to the OR means holding a retractor, so you won't develop technical skills. Don't do it. Enjoy your life.
Well, thanks for the advice. Regardless of whether or not it actually helps, PDs have told me face to face that it is beneficial for those looking to apply IR, so... anyway, dissuading me from surgery prelim isn’t the point of this thread.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't have any specific knowledge on these programs, other than the standard "find some people who have been prelims at these programs", look at what happens to the prelims at certain places. You are likely going to have a better experience somewhere that takes fewer prelims, and makes a point of sending prelims to categorical positions as opposed to churning through people for an easy year of labor.

That’s not true. I did much more than that intern year. That’s maybe how things used to be, but at least where I am, they aren’t like that anymore.

That’s not true. I did much more than that intern year. That’s maybe how things used to be, but at least where I am, they aren’t like that anymore.

I would agree. On trauma and seeing basic consults in the ER, you can learn a lot of procedural skills that cross over to IR. And maybe just maybe you might learn to hand tie and not instrument tie like every non surgeon in the world.

Reactions: 1 user
I would agree. On trauma and seeing basic consults in the ER, you can learn a lot of procedural skills that cross over to IR. And maybe just maybe you might learn to hand tie and not instrument tie like every non surgeon in the world.

Still get weird looks from the attendings in the OR when I go with a one-hand tie (Non-surgeon)