damage control?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrVolumeCT

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So how does I one going about fixing the following?:

my step 1 score=194 median=217 sd=24

currently doing a research yr btween yrs 2 and 3 with top resaerch group in Boston- working with ct.mri cardiac imaging and calcium scoring with 16 MSCt and soon new seimen's volume ct machine. any inspiring words of advice besides try to do kick-ass on rotations esp rads- and try for better on step 2- granted my stand. test scores always sucked including mcats! our school in boston has no numerical ranking- I passed all 1st 2 yrs- no honors- prob middle of class or bit lower if I had to gues 1st 2 yr performance- even with horrible step 1 scores will any research work at least have a chance of getting noticed before my file hits the recycling bin? I had actually thought about academia but that seems long-fetched now????? or am I wrong?????

:mad: :(

Members don't see this ad.

Ace your 3rd year clinicals. If you can make AOA or atleast honor med and surg. Also, take step II as early as possible and rock it. You will probably have to call up some programs individually to emphasize your strengths. This could be done preemptively before your app goes into the recycle bin. Also, apply to a wide variety of programs including small community programs (with 2-3 residents per year), which are undesirable by the majority of applicants. Also those in undesireable locations will also be less competitive. A career in academia is not prohibited if you can match into a radiology residency. Where you do your fellowship will likely be more important than where you did residency. Fellowship training is necessary to do any real work in academia.

i just found out from my school that i did not do so hot (in th 60s when passing is a 55 at our school) on the surgery chairman's, and the highest possible evaluation I can get is a High Pass - we were already told that at the hospital i am at they usually do not give out honors and all the people in our group will not get honors. this is ironic, because our group had five who wanted to go into general surgery on some subspecialty, with another girl and i wanting to do radiology, and one person wanting to do psych. my 219 already put me at a risky situation. i have medicine in april/may (currently on OB/GYN). do not know if i will make AOA - have not heard about our class average but from i heard it might be in the 200-210 range.