Damaging GPA trend?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fd25

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’ve been thinking more about my GPA trend recently and I’m just wondering if it is going to hinder my application. Any feedback greatly appreciated.

cGPA: 3.81 -> 3.60 -> 3.41 -> 3.64 (3.63 total)

sGPA: 3.75 -> 3.10 -> 3.43 -> 3.62 (3.56 total)

My challenge during my sophomore year was that second semester I struggled quite a bit with Orgo II and ended up withdrawing, and my focus on that class affected my other grades (two B-, two A-, three As that year). I explain the W very well in my essays in terms of what I learned from it and later ended up with an A- when I repeated the class.

Other than that, no other god awful grades. I made one C+ in an upper level neuro class while studying for my MCAT/senior thesis, but all As otherwise that semester. A few Bs sprinkled throughout my transcript, and 511 MCAT. BS in neuroscience with honors (with senior thesis and consistent research experience, no pubs).

Just in terms on my metrics, what are your thoughts? I’ve already applied broadly this cycle, just looking to put my mind at ease if possible.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not an ADCOM, so take my advice accordingly. Although it doesn't look great, it doesn't seem to be a big issue from my perspective. You are still a good student.

I'm not an ADCOM, so take my advice accordingly. Although it doesn't look great, it doesn't seem to be a big issue from my perspective. You are still a good student.
That’s kind of what I was thinking. A bit meh, but hopefully not a huge sinker for my app. Thanks for the reply!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I’ve been thinking more about my GPA trend recently and I’m just wondering if it is going to hinder my application. Any feedback greatly appreciated.

cGPA: 3.81 -> 3.60 -> 3.41 -> 3.64 (3.63 total)

sGPA: 3.75 -> 3.10 -> 3.43 -> 3.62 (3.56 total)

My challenge during my sophomore year was that second semester I struggled quite a bit with Orgo II and ended up withdrawing, and my focus on that class affected my other grades (two B-, two A-, three As that year). I explain the W very well in my essays in terms of what I learned from it and later ended up with an A- when I repeated the class.

Other than that, no other god awful grades. I made one C+ in an upper level neuro class while studying for my MCAT/senior thesis, but all As otherwise that semester. A few Bs sprinkled throughout my transcript, and 511 MCAT. BS in neuroscience with honors (with senior thesis and consistent research experience, no pubs).

Just in terms on my metrics, what are your thoughts? I’ve already applied broadly this cycle, just looking to put my mind at ease if possible.
Your MCAT will make or break you.

Invest in MSAR Online and target those schools where your GPAs are closest thier the medians for acceptees. Pay very careful attention to IS/OOS rations.

Your MCAT will make or break you.

Invest in MSAR Online and target those schools where your GPAs are closest thier the medians for acceptees. Pay very careful attention to IS/OOS rations.
I’ve used MSAR pretty intensely to build my list and am targeting my GPA to the medians for schools I’m applying to. I’m a NY state resident and applying to all of my state schools, plus other OOS friendly schools that fall within my range. I’m in good range for NYMC but they’re also pretty low yield. Do you think my MCAT of 511 (126/130/127/128) will be helpful for me, or should I have considered retaking before applying this cycle?

I’ve used MSAR pretty intensely to build my list and am targeting my GPA to the medians for schools I’m applying to. I’m a NY state resident and applying to all of my state schools, plus other OOS friendly schools that fall within my range. I’m in good range for NYMC but they’re also pretty low yield. Do you think my MCAT of 511 (126/130/127/128) will be helpful for me, or should I have considered retaking before applying this cycle?
I recommend the following, and do NOT retake that MCAT. A high score does not remediate median or low GPAs. Double check medians with list.

Rochester (maybe)
Emory
U CO
Tufts
Nova MD
U VM
Miami
George Washington
Georgetown
SLU
Albany
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
MCW
VCU
EVMS
Wayne State
Wake Forest
Netter
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Oakland-B
Seton Hall
TCU/UNT
ALL SUNYs
Any DO program. I can't recommend Nova, Wm Carey, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CUHS is too new and appears to be too limited in rotations sites. UIW refuses to post their Boards scores, which is fishy.

I recommend the following, and do NOT retake that MCAT. A high score does not remediate median or low GPAs. Double check medians with list.

Rochester (maybe)
Emory
U CO
Tufts
Nova MD
U VM
Miami
George Washington
Georgetown
SLU
Albany
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
MCW
VCU
EVMS
Wayne State
Wake Forest
Netter
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Oakland-B
Seton Hall
TCU/UNT
ALL SUNYs
Any DO program. I can't recommend Nova, Wm Carey, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CUHS is too new and appears to be too limited in rotations sites. UIW refuses to post their Boards scores, which is fishy.

That list is pretty spot on for where I have already sent in my applications. Thanks so much for the advice, you’re a great help!