Damn ASDSAA! It lists your applied schools on school's copy

CuRy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
Status
I was interviewed with a dental school last Friday. I was embarrassed as one interviewee named all schools that I applied. He asked me whether I got interviews at some of these schools. If so, he could learn my standing! Your application will be biased if you apply to many schools or this school's stat is lower than others. It should be confidential. I know some schools ask about it on its supplemental application, but you only list some of schools that are favor to you. So stupid!

DB#1

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2004
Burlington, ONTARIO
Status
CuRy said:
I was interviewed with a dental school last Friday. I was embarrassed as one interviewee named all schools that I applied. He asked me whether I got interviews at some of these schools. If so, he could learn my standing! Your application will be biased if you apply to many schools or this school's stat is lower than others. It should be confidential. I know some schools ask about it on its supplemental application, but you only list some of schools that are favor to you. So stupid!

I never knew that :eek:
Cuz at one of my interviews I was asked to what schools I applied. I only told the interviewer the ones that I was serious about and left out many.
My interviewer was writing them down, so I didn't think he had them, and the interview was open file.
I got accepted there, so it doesn't matter, but that's good to know.

Biogirl361

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2004
Visit site
Status
CuRy said:
yeah, i had one interview where the interviewer asked me to list which other schools i applied to and then asked have i gotten any other interviews and if so where and how did they go. i thought that was really none of their business and was slightly annoyed that they asked.

Profchaos

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2004
Status
CuRy said:
I don't know how true this is, but I would be very surprised if that's the case, and I have to agree that it definitely will affect schools' decisions.

eran76

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2004
Pittsburgh (but from Seattle)
Status
Dental Student
I was asked if I had been accepted to any other schools during a recent interview. I said that I had, but that I did not want that to bias thier opinion regarding accepting me to thier program or not, b/c I had to put down some money or risk not going to any dental school at all. They understood. I still got waitlisted but we had discussed that earlier in the interview due to lack of available space.

Tzips

Chocoholic
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2004
Peering around the corner...
Status
Resident [Any Field]
At every interview I've had, they've asked which schools I applied, where I recieved interview invites, where I got in, etc, and I only mentioned the ones I was seriously considering - so my answers were very different than what it said on my app. No one called me out on the difference, though, which makes me think that 1. AADSAS doesn't include the list on the schools' copies of the app, only yours, or 2. the schools completely ignore it. While I admit that the questions seemed a bit prying, considering that all but one of my intereviews were after 12/1, it made sense that school wanted to know where I had gotten in, and that being so, why would I chose their school over other acceptances. Made for some sticky questions, though :)

vasco

10+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2004
Status
At one of my interviews I physically handled their copy of my aadsas form and looked at it. It didn't have a list of all the schools that I applied to. THe only thing that it had was in the top right hand corner their school name listed.

airvent

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2004
Status
I think that would be strange if they had a list of your schools in their hand and asked you "which schools did you apply to?" Which leads me to think that they don't. If they did they would ask something like "Hmm so I see you applied to school"X", what's up wit dat?"

Comet208

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
Status
Dentist
I was told my by undergrad pre-dental advisor that when the schools log into their AADSAS and InfoSourse do have access to a list of the schools you have applied to and also your status at those schools. He did say it is illegal to accept/reject an applicant based on their status at other schools but wasn't really sure on why that kind of an access is made available to them.

Comet208

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
Status
Dentist
airvent said:
I think that would be strange if they had a list of your schools in their hand and asked you "which schools did you apply to?"
Don't they ask you about your research, extracurricular activities, shadowing, etc?? they too are all on the application. In one instance, the interviewer asked my age 3 times. I highly doubt if my exact birth date was not on the application right below my name and SSN.

Part of the interview processes is to make sure you are indeed the applicant. Asking detailed questions about your application to verify you are the same person is a common practice during most med school interviews (i was so told by many of my pre-med friends).

airvent

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2004
Status
Yeah, isn't that crazy! During exams they check your ID to make sure you took the exam and not your smart freind. Has anyone ever heard of that actually happenig? It amazes me that people would actually try such a thing. At my undergrad we had one person break into the Professors office to copy the exam the night before. They got his finger prints, then we had to wait a month to get our grades while they checked all the exams for his prints then they nabbed him.

OP
CuRy

CuRy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
Status
Tzips said:
At every interview I've had, they've asked which schools I applied, where I recieved interview invites, where I got in, etc, and I only mentioned the ones I was seriously considering- so my answers were very different than what it said on my app. No one called me out on the difference, though, which makes me think that 1. AADSAS doesn't include the list on the schools' copies of the app, only yours, or 2. the schools completely ignore it. While I admit that the questions seemed a bit prying, considering that all but one of my intereviews were after 12/1, it made sense that school wanted to know where I had gotten in, and that being so, why would I chose their school over other acceptances. Made for some sticky questions, though :)
That question is still legitimate and good. You only mention schools that are favor to your conversation. They could ignore the list to see how smart you use it (the information).

vasco said:
At one of my interviews I physically handled their copy of my aadsas form and looked at it. It didn't have a list of all the schools that I applied to. THe only thing that it had was in the top right hand corner their school name listed.
I checked back my supplemental application to this school and I didn't see anywhere I put those names. It's stupid if AADSAA lists them on school's copy. I think it might be a mistake on my file (because it does list those schools on student's copy).

Tzips

Chocoholic
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2004
Peering around the corner...
Status
Resident [Any Field]
airvent said:
Yeah, isn't that crazy! During exams they check your ID to make sure you took the exam and not your smart freind. Has anyone ever heard of that actually happenig? It amazes me that people would actually try such a thing. At my undergrad we had one person break into the Professors office to copy the exam the night before. They got his finger prints, then we had to wait a month to get our grades while they checked all the exams for his prints then they nabbed him.
Wow - talk about vigilance and diligence on behalf of justice... I'm impressed.

At my school, they just make you have your student ID , so the prof can match name and face. What's so ridiculous about this system is that you don't need any ID to get a student ID - all you need is a copy of your schedule. So you can go up to the guys at the security office, tell them you've lost your ID, and get a new one complete with your picture and someone else's name, if you have their schedule. So it's not that impossible to get one's smart friend to take one's exam.

But of course, all smart people are inherently ethical, so this never happens :D

grinningrice

Clean your dentures!
10+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2004
Cleveland so does not rock....
Status
Biogirl361 said:
yeah, i had one interview where the interviewer asked me to list which other schools i applied to and then asked have i gotten any other interviews and if so where and how did they go. i thought that was really none of their business and was slightly annoyed that they asked.
When I was interviewing at SIU, they asked me one question. WHere else did you interview and did you like the schools? I thought that was a very inappropriate question, especially since I was at THEIR school. I kept thinking, dont you want to know how I like your school? It was a very awkward interview.

Profchaos

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2004
Status
Sprgrover said:
I saw my AADSAS sheet at two interviews and in the upper, right hand corner, where the schools were listed on my copy, the little box was blank. Gavin has stated the other schools are not listed on the school copy - so that particular school found out about the other schools via Infosource.
Thank you. Good vision.

snwman

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2004
Status
It may seem a little iffy for them to ask you where else you have been, but think about it this way. THey know you are applying to many schools and chances are that if you have one interview, youve had more than one. The people in admissions can look at your app and know pretty much where you will get in. If anything, you can use your experience to your advantage. In my post-Dec1 intervews, I took advantage of the "I know I will be a dentist in 4 years, now I just want to know what kind of dentist I will be" phrase. Its much easier to get a job when you have a job!

Comet208

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
Status
Dentist
grinningrice said:
WHere else did you interview and did you like the schools?
This is how you answer the question: I was also interviewed at XYZ schools, but what I like about your school is/are........ (now you are telling them why you are interested in their school. Remember, it is YOUR interview and you are pretty much the one leading it, even if it may appear otherwise.)

grinningrice

Clean your dentures!
10+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2004
Cleveland so does not rock....
Status
Comet208 said:
This is how you answer the question: I was also interviewed at XYZ schools, but what I like about your school is/are........ (now you are telling them why you are interested in their school. Remember, it is YOUR interview and you are pretty much the one leading it, even if it may appear otherwise.)
Thats exactly what I did, and I got in. :)

msf41

AADSAS = rip off
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2003
Kansas
Visit site
Status
I think that the whole question of "where else did you apply?" is really fishing for more information about what type of schools you are interested in. Did you apply to schools heavy into research or one's with great specialty programs. Ultimately I used this question to say, "I applied to X school because I was impressed with their research, how do you think the research at this dental school compares with theirs?"

ItsGavinC

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2001
Arizona
Status
Dentist
I didn't take the time to read through this entire thread, but I the AADSAS forms I've seen while doing interviews at my school do NOT list any of the other schools that the student applied to.

These are CURRENT applicants from as recently as 3 weeks ago. No other schools listed.

rocknightmare

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2004
Status
Dental Student
Tzips said:
Wow - talk about vigilance and diligence on behalf of justice... I'm impressed.

At my school, they just make you have your student ID , so the prof can match name and face. What's so ridiculous about this system is that you don't need any ID to get a student ID - all you need is a copy of your schedule. So you can go up to the guys at the security office, tell them you've lost your ID, and get a new one complete with your picture and someone else's name, if you have their schedule. So it's not that impossible to get one's smart friend to take one's exam.

But of course, all smart people are inherently ethical, so this never happens :D

haha i like your last statement.