damn New Yorkers with their .......

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coralfangs

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I specifically asked them if "LECTURERS WITH PHD DEGREES" are considered as professors for the letter requirement
I clearly state that we have TWO status for faculties at my school: PROFESSOR and LECTURER

they replied me with an email: "If they are not your professors how is it they taught you in a course? The requirement is a professor that taught you in a lecture course, one science, one non-science. Letters from TA's are not acceptable. "

I emailed a bunch of schools
EVERYONE except NYU replied me with a clear answer explaining their requirement for professor vs lecturer
and YES, one school said they do PREFER those with PROFESSOR status and not LECTURER status but both are ACCEPTABLE
some said that professors and lecturers are the SAME to the adcom

is that SO hard to answer?
lecturers with PhD are CLEARLY not TA..........

I swear, because of that email from NYU, it has dropped at least 5 places down my choice list

Members don't see this ad.

...what does this have to do with new yorkers?

Members don't see this ad :)
It may have dropped on your choice list, but a year from now if you're on their waitlist, you'll be singing a different tune my friend.
and its better they are straightforward with you. just wait until the app process really gets started...

thats true
but it's just annoying that they don't read your questions and assume that u r a *******
clearly, when I say "LECTURERS with PhD degrees", I don't mean TEACHING ASSISTANT...........

I'm curious, which schools REQUIRE PhD's? Also, do you have a committee letter and you're still being told you need PhD letters? I had a physics instructor who has a Master's write a LOR for me, and his title is "instructor." But I also had a committee compile all my LORs and write me an overall committee letter. Is this going to be a problem at many schools?

crap, I forgot which one specifically because I got them in my junk mails, but I clearly remember that it was a Canadian school that "prefers" letters from people with PhD or MD blah blah (cuz I was like.... damn canucks *Im a Canadian too haha)

man, the more I think about it, the more I want to complain to NYU
clearly, a TA cannot be the program director...................
I specifically mentioned that two of my LORs are from my program directors (UG and G) who have taught me in some courses
if she can find me a student who happens to be a TA and a program director at an ivy league school, I WILL chop my balls off for her...............