Damn you to hell, Botany. (advice please!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beaverfetus

poo-tee-weet?
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so, I found out after browsing gw's website that they dont accept botany labs as a biology lab. My second biology lab is botany. My school did not have enough lab space for me to take the second half of intro bio lab. I am a bio major with tons of bio hours, but my only other lab besides the first half of intro bio lab, is botany. I am taking a genetics lab next semester, but my pre med advisor told me to not rely on that, because some schools would put my application on hold until they got the grade for that course.

question is: should I worry about my botany lab for schools that don't say anything nasty about it specifically?

follow up is: will gw really put my application on hold until they get the genetics lab grade? Iam a bio major! with mad research experience! I practically live in a bio lab!! arghhhhhhh

your comments and answers would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

beaverfetus said:
so, I found out after browsing gw's website that they dont accept botany labs as a biology lab. My second biology lab is botany. My school did not have enough lab space for me to take the second half of intro bio lab. I am a bio major with tons of bio hours, but my only other lab besides the first half of intro bio lab, is botany. I am taking a genetics lab next semester, but my pre med advisor told me to not rely on that, because some schools would put my application on hold until they got the grade for that course.

question is: should I worry about my botany lab for schools that don't say anything nasty about it specifically?

follow up is: will gw really put my application on hold until they get the genetics lab grade? Iam a bio major! with mad research experience! I practically live in a bio lab!! arghhhhhhh

YES They will and you schould just quit and not apply.. :sleep:

Some schools have weird requirements. (I'm looking at you, Jefferson!) Most schools just say "Biology with Lab" which would probably be any kind of biology (intro or whatever) taken with lab in your university's biology department.

Mine were called "Intro Biology I/Intro Bio Lab I", II and III. Original, right?
If you are that worried you could call the schools you are applying to and ask but I am betting you are fine. Esp. since you are doing that extra genetics one.

Members don't see this ad :)
DR. EUGENIC said:
YES They will and you schould just quit and not apply.. :sleep:

did you know the united states had a comprehensive eugenics program in place in the 1930s that hitler refered to as an "enviable" endeavor? Well your comment was probably slightly better intentioned, but still worthy of your nic.

jackieMD2007 said:
Some schools have weird requirements. (I'm looking at you, Jefferson!) Most schools just say "Biology with Lab" which would probably be any kind of biology (intro or whatever) taken with lab in your university's biology department.

Mine were called "Intro Biology I/Intro Bio Lab I", II and III. Original, right?
If you are that worried you could call the schools you are applying to and ask but I am betting you are fine. Esp. since you are doing that extra genetics one.

thanks, I think I will call gw.

I think med schools staff will have the common sense to realize that you have adequate lab experience. You may want to mention something about it in the secondary's "anything else you'd like us to know" section.

silkworm said:
I think med schools staff will have the common sense to realize that you have adequate lab experience. You may want to mention something about it in the secondary's "anything else you'd like us to know" section.

Agreed :thumbup:

Agreed,too.

The only thing that I really learned from our botany sections of Bio I is that I have a deep, refined, and abiding hatred of apical meristems.

beaverfetus said:
I am taking a genetics lab next semester, but my pre med advisor told me to not rely on that, because some schools would put my application on hold until they got the grade for that course.
Your advisor doesn't sound like s/he knows what he's talking about. Med schools virtually all state that your pre-req's do not need to be completed at the time of application, simply the time of matriculation. You're FINE. Your concern is understandable, and I'd go ahead and call GW unless the MSAR states their policy, but your advisor sounds more than just a little clueless. I can't think of any school that would put your application on hold for a semester just to get a 1-2 credit lab grade.

beaverfetus said:

your pre-med advisor has been smoking too much ganja. Prowler is right...and normally I disagree w/ him just to be different

TheProwler said:
Your advisor doesn't sound like s/he knows what he's talking about. Med schools virtually all state that your pre-req's do not need to be completed at the time of application, simply the time of matriculation. You're FINE. Your concern is understandable, and I'd go ahead and call GW unless the MSAR states their policy, but your advisor sounds more than just a little clueless. I can't think of any school that would put your application on hold for a semester just to get a 1-2 credit lab grade.

mmmm confident reassuring sdn advice goodness

Quix said:
Agreed,too.

The only thing that I really learned from our botany sections of Bio I is that I have a deep, refined, and abiding hatred of apical meristems.

wtf... I hated that. I almost forgot about those until you reminded me. Oh and let me remember all of that taxonomy bull ****.