Damn...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SD Skunk

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
a brilliant and interesting example of

1) shotgun approach
2) what a crap shoot this entire admissions process is:

http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=1060

applied to 58 schools, and in the end, got accepted to some damn good ones. northwestern, stanford, and some UC schools

Members don't see this ad.

yeah, but he had a good deal of publications and great MCAT score. maybe his GPA was low but had good reason... his other stuff is pretty amazing.... i don't think it's a crapshoot. but i wouldn't have applied to so many schools...

SNICKA DAMN!

SD Skunk said:

1) shotgun approach

applied to 58 schools, and in the end, got accepted to some damn good ones. northwestern, stanford, and some UC schools
58 schools? ouch!! I could not have applied to that many schools for anything. Congrats on all those terrific acceptances! :thumbup:

and i agree to a certain extent i think it'sd a crapshoot. I don't know your stats, etc but i truly don't know how i got accepted certain places and some terrific people got waitlisted or rejected at those same places

Members don't see this ad :)
Psycho Doctor said:
I don't know your stats, etc but i truly don't know how i got accepted certain places and some terrific people got waitlisted or rejected at those same places

The original poster has his own MDapplicant link right below in the signature. His stats seem to be similar MCAT and much higher GPA with acceptance at 4 schools.

By the way I agree with the rest of your post. Just pointing that out.

gujuDoc said:
The original poster has his own MDapplicant link right below in the signature. His stats seem to be similar MCAT and much higher GPA with acceptance at 4 schools.

By the way I agree with the rest of your post. Just pointing that out.
huh? I was confused at the MDapps in his signature..not 58 schools, and then the link he posted, which i assumed was the correct one. whose is the other?

Psycho Doctor said:
huh? I was confused at the MDapps in his signature..not 58 schools, and then the link he posted, which i assumed was the correct one. whose is the other?

I think his mdapp profile is the one in his signature, but he was looking through old ones and was pointing out someone else's because of the lower gpa.

i dont think the end result is surprising at all - hes a cali resident and looks good on paper, so he got into a bunch of competitive cali schools.

Rejected Pre-Secondary
Duke University
Mayo Medical School
Meharry Medical College
Michigan State University
Ohio State University
Tulane University
UMDNJ - Robert Wood Johnson
University of California, Irvine
University of Colorado
University of Michigan
University of Nevada
University of Pennsylvania
Vanderbilt University
Wake Forest University
Washington University in St. Louis

Rejected Post-Secondary
Albany Medical College
Baylor College
Boston University
Columbia University
Cornell University
Dartmouth College
Eastern Virginia Medical School
Emory University
George Washington University
Georgetown University
Jefferson Medical College
Johns Hopkins University
Loma Linda University
Loyola University Chicago
Mount Sinai School of Medicine
New York Medical College
New York University
Oregon Health & Science University
Rosalind Franklin University
Rush Medical College
Temple University
Tufts University
University of Connecticut
University of Maryland
University of Massachusetts
University of North Carolina
University of Pittsburgh
University of Rochester
University of Vermont
University of Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth University
Yale University

That's a whole lot of cash down the John!

gujuDoc said:
I think his mdapp profile is the one in his signature, but he was looking through old ones and was pointing out someone else's because of the lower gpa.
but i don't think that one had 58 schools

davedavedave said:
i dont think the end result is surprising at all - hes a cali resident and looks good on paper, so he got into a bunch of competitive cali schools.
i thought Cali schools were really hard to get into even for good Cali residents. People here told me it was easier to get into a private east coast school than in-state in Cali.

it looks really good. plus he went to berkeley so his GPA might be a little skewed.

he has a lot of things that many of us dont have. :: experience.

This list looks like the list of every single CA resident I know that isn't a URM. I think my total right now is $7.5K and only two acceptances so far.

SD Skunk said:

1) shotgun approach

he got accepted because of:
- 6 publications!? DAMN that is difficult
- worked 20 hours a week -- that totally accounted for low gpa and showed potential
- wrote books and got the mcnair scholars
- was on crew -- i know for a fact they wake up at 3-4 in the morning everyday even during the winter to practice.

i wouldn't be able to compare...