Damned if you do, damned if you don't. State sues CVS and Wags for opioid Sales

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrVader

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
People want to blame everyone but the drug abusers themselves. You can only do so many check things. Watch this be used as another club to beat our profession over the head, even if it is originally meant to target bad actors.
Florida sues Walgreens, CVS over opioid sales

Members don't see this ad.

Dispense opioids pursuant to valid prescriptions = sued by the DEA

Dispense opioids using clinical criteria = sued by the medical board

But make no mistake: pharmacists will cower with their tail between their legs and refuse to defend themselves.

Reactions: 2 users
Instead of suing the pharmacy, why not suing prescribers. They're the one who prescribed the opioids. I wish a pharmacist become a prescriber while physician only does diagnosing. We as pharmacists can prescribe appropriate medications based on the diagnosing. That is why we go to school for is to learn about medications for treatments.

Today, so many patients on wrong antibiotics to the point they become resistance because their physicians don't know an appropriate treatment or didn't learn well enough when they're in medical school. That is why there is a clinical pharmacist in the hospital to correct their mistakes all the time

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Lol... here is my solution, any quantity over 60 tabs of norco per month should be filled by the physician himself.

Reactions: 6 users
Instead of suing the pharmacy, why not suing prescribers. They're the one who prescribed the opioids. I wish a pharmacist become a prescriber while physician only does diagnosing. We as pharmacists can prescribe appropriate medications based on the diagnosing. That is why we go to school for is to learn about medications for treatments.

Today, so many patients on wrong antibiotics to the point they become resistance because their physicians don't know an appropriate treatment or didn't learn well enough when they're in medical school. That is why there is a clinical pharmacist in the hospital to correct their mistakes all the time
Prescribers are getting sued and prosecuted. Have you not seen that?

People want to blame everyone but the drug abusers themselves. You can only do so many check things. Watch this be used as another club to beat our profession over the head, even if it is originally meant to target bad actors.

I didn't check out the video, but why are you surprised?! I'm trying to figure out how to put this words, but when people love other people and they die, then they start to go nuts. For example, three high school kids were once partying and were drunk. They were on dirt bikes and all three ended up dying. Their parents started suing everyone- real life story. This is life/common sense.

This is what happens when society decreases emphasis on personal behavior/responsibility. Over time, rather than actually address the issue, the chains will find some way to divert their legal responsibility to the employee pharmacist. Several years ago when the chains were being criticized for not providing enough staffing to allow for patient counseling they sheepishly developed bar coded scan badges that pharmacists use to "prove" that counseling was offered. This shifted the responsibility of counseling from the chain to the individual pharmacist. But most importantly it was cheaper than providing for more staff.

They should just pull opioids from the shelves and call it a day

Reactions: 2 users
Yes, but not as hard as suing the retail pharmacy (that's where big money at). At the end of the day, it's up to prescribers what he/she wants for patients. Not us. We can call and verify with physicians and still got trouble from it. That's bull****

In Texas those physicians get fined $250 and 5 years on probation! What a penalty! I got a speeding ticket for going 20 mph over in a school zone and got a higher $ fine.

Prescribers should be responsible for this, except in causes of obvious collusion such as pill mills working with pharmacies

I’m still waiting for the obese population to sue Yum Brands

lol one physician was caught high on Norco and Xannies while performing a surgery. He got his license back because he was "clean" for 90 days. They have no accountability.