AHillock

Got neuro?
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
I haven't heard much about these programs here on SDN. Is there a reason for this? Or just not the most favorable destination for a lot of applicants? I have been thinking about both of these programs. If you have any thoughts let me know.

halifax

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I did interview for neurology at Uvermont. I'm a FMG and here are my 2 cents worth - the place is beautiful and the people are nice.The faculty is varied and big and they have a couple of big names who are past their prime and are living out their last few years in a nice cozy place.

The residents are mostly FMG's (should I say exclusively??), but I got the feeling they were desperate to get local grads and they were interviewing a lot of DO's as well to that end (no disrespect to DO's).

Its mostly a office based practise their and inpatient is mostly stroke and they do have a good number of MS patients.
so if you want a relaxed and laid back program this is ideal and the cost of living in Burlington is on the higher side!!!!

sleepingneuro

de oppresso liber
10+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2008
Dark Side
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I did an AI in Vermont and I would respectfully disagree with the poster above. I would agree that Vermont is a beautiful place and have good faculty in place. Vermont also has a mix of FMG’s and US students- one that chose Vermont over Dartmouth.
Like most programs, their neuro consists of both clinics and inpatient. Their inpatient call schedule is brutal. They do have a “stroke attack” team to lessen the burden, but nevertheless, they work you hard. As far as I could tell, the residents were tired all the time.
I would say that UVM is an average program that would get you where you want to go. Vermont is a great place to live and tons to do if you are a out person guy/gal.

happywithchoice

10+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I did my med school there and an AI a few years back and I'd say UVM Neurology has great faculty but most of them unfortunately don't take enough responsibility for educational activities and improving the morale of residents. I am not sure how things have changed since, but I would really pull aside a resident and ask them about these issues prior to ranking them

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.