Dartmouth Geisel vs Rochester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alupop23

Reaction score
Rochester
Pros
  • Bigger institution - lots of research opportunities
  • Clerkships are at the home institution
  • Ranked higher than Dartmouth (by quite some bit 37 vs 47)
  • More of an academic environment - known to be more academic based/recognized by other doctors to be really good
Cons
  • MD/MBA program kind of non-existent/not as great of an MBA program as Dartmouth
  • No scholarship (but did email them to see if I can get them to match Dartmouths $20k), I weigh this a lot less
Dartmouth
Pros
  • MD/MBA strong program that I want to do
  • Has an ivy name that carries somewhat
  • Small institution - can get really close to mentors that can form connections
  • People/surrounding area of Dartmouth is potentially where I would want to form connections to/relationships

Cons
  • Low ranking - not sure why...
  • Away clerkships
  • Small institution - how many hotshots are here/are in specialties I'm interested in
  • More of a traditional curriculum that isn't flexible like Rochester's

Summary:
I am confused as to why Geisel is ranked so low - I really like the school but am worried about size and limited opportunities compared to Rochester. As you can see - Geisel to me has so many pros AND cons, while Rochester has a lot of pros, but the cons do weigh heavily. I am so conflicted please help.

Members don't see this ad.

It’s ranked low because it’s basically a liberal arts college and from what I’ve heard most of the resources go to undergrads.

Rochester’s “prized possession” is its medical school and it’s not really known for a ton outside of medicine. So a lot of institutional resources go to the school and the hospital. If you will defintely pursue clinical medicine, rochester is a better option cet. par.

If there is any chance you could pivot from medicine down the line, Dartmouth would be better. For example, one graduate of Geisel “matched” JPM Healtcare IBD this year. One wouldn’t be able to do that at rochester because no big banks or funds recruit at the school for the most part

Also Rochester >>> Hanover

I’ve visited friends at Dartmouth and there’s nothing to do aside from frats (rare for Tuck/Geisel students to attend these)

Last edited:
Rochester is better in medicine than Dartmouth. If the prices are not too much different then I’d go with Rochester. However, if you really like Dartmouth, I don’t think your opportunities would be that much less because they do match really well.

Members don't see this ad :)
It’s ranked low because it’s basically a liberal arts college and from what I’ve heard most of the resources go to undergrads.

Rochester’s “prized possession” is its medical school and it’s not really known for a ton outside of medicine. So a lot of institutional resources go to the school and the hospital. If you will defintely pursue clinical medicine, rochester is a better option cet. par.

If there is any chance you could pivot from medicine down the line, Dartmouth would be better. For example, one graduate of Geisel “matched” JPM Healtcare IBD this year. One wouldn’t be able to do that at rochester because no big banks or funds recruit at the school for the most part

Also Rochester >>> Hanover

I’ve visited friends at Dartmouth and there’s nothing to do aside from frats (rare for Tuck/Geisel students to attend these)
Yeah, in general, I've heard that Rochester has a better academic program/better reputation and people think that Dartmouth is more rural, and I think that's where I'm getting stuck. I overall think I like Dartmouth better, but I don't necessarily want to pivot from medicine or go into finance - I'd put my MBA to use either in startup/private practice/potentially director etc.

^I think this is why I'm really struggling - I think the opportunities aren't the same just based on city-wise and the amount of people/population AND that people generally seem to think that Rochester is better academic institution, but also that Dartmouth's name does carry far even if they're ranked low... but I think they match relatively the same which ig is the end game??

Lol and I do agree that Rochester >>> Hanover, but I don't think I'll really mind the location since I grew up in very upstate NY and they're both the same to me when I compare it to NYC where I'm at now.

Yeah, in general, I've heard that Rochester has a better academic program/better reputation and people think that Dartmouth is more rural, and I think that's where I'm getting stuck. I overall think I like Dartmouth better, but I don't necessarily want to pivot from medicine or go into finance - I'd put my MBA to use either in startup/private practice/potentially director etc.

^I think this is why I'm really struggling - I think the opportunities aren't the same just based on city-wise and the amount of people/population AND that people generally seem to think that Rochester is better academic institution, but also that Dartmouth's name does carry far even if they're ranked low... but I think they match relatively the same which ig is the end game??

Lol and I do agree that Rochester >>> Hanover, but I don't think I'll really mind the location since I grew up in very upstate NY and they're both the same to me when I compare it to NYC where I'm at now.
You answered your own question. You like Dartmouth better and you are finding every excuse against Rochester. Please go to Dartmouth. You will be just fine coming out of Geisel. They might not prioritize the medical school and hospital like Rochester, but I don't think the Dartmouth name is going to close many doors that Rochester opens. You'll have opportunities for research and matching mostly anything if you work hard.

Also Hanover is more boring than Rochester, but I'm sure you know that Upstate NY cities (Rochester, Buffalo, Syracuse, Albany, Binghamton) are frankly not special and I would not be that excited to live there personally, so I don't think that should be a selling point if you enjoy the northeast and being outdoors