Dartmouth Med HELP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

altaskier

Altaholics Anonymous 92'
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I apologize about the mass posting I've been doing lately. Anyway, I got an interview at Dartmouth in early Jan. Has anyone interviewed there? If so how was it like (what can you tell me other than what's on interviewfeedback)? Has anyone been accepted there? What is the best way to get there?

thanks again guys and gals

Members don't see this ad.

CONGRATS!!! I'm waiting to hear from them. I hope what they have to say is positive, though. I'd absolutely love to interview there, as it is one of my top schools.

You'll have to let me know what you think of the school, ok?

Good luck!

I interviewed there in mid October. I really like the area with all the stuff you can do outdoors and just the scenery is great.

The campus itself was really nice too I thought. And Hanover is very much a pictureseque little New England town.

I was impressed by the enthusiastic administration, they were all very upbeat and took ample time to meet with us, compared to some schools where it seemed like they would rather be doing other stuff.

I havent heard anything since the interview, they said that it might take a while and dont hold your breath waiting for a response. Although they operate on rolling admissions, they said that they are extrememly careful about who gets the first acceptances.

The DHMC (Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center) is the coolest medical center I've ever been in. It feels like a mall with lots of natural light and a very open interior where you can see all the floors and offices from the ground floor.

You will have 2 interviews, one with a PhD and one with an MD. The PhD guy was concerned that I didnt take enough bio courses (I only took the bare minimum required). He remarked that a lot of the students he knew at Dartmouth seemed to be lacking somewhat in that area. But then again, maybe thats just his warped view. The MD I interviewed with was the head of orthopedic surgery. He was very cool and fun to talk with. He took me out to the helicopter pad and let me climb in and look at the console and rescue equipment they had on board.

I only applied regular MD to Dartmouth, so even if I get accepted I'm going to turn it down. However, if I was applying only for regular MD (instead of MD/PhD) Dartmouth would definitely be one of my top 3 choices.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey altaskier,
Do a search for "Dartmouth interview experience." I wrote up a tortuosly long post on my experience. Hope it helps.

Congratulations!

I was just wondering how long your app was complete before you got offered an interview?

Scottie,

I sent in my secondary on 8-16 and I heard today 12-06. So, just hang in there.

Baylor 21,

Do all students get interviewed by a PhD and an MD, or do some get interviewed by an MD and someone else (like a student, etc)?

In my interview group (about 12) all of us were interviewed by both an MD and a PhD. But I'm not sure if its always like that or just coincidence.

Originally posted by altaskier:
•Scottie,

I sent in my secondary on 8-16 and I heard today 12-06. So, just hang in there.•••

best news EVER.

Thank you Altaskier.

YES YES YES!! That's encouraging.

Got an acceptance today, 12/7. Interviewed on 10/29.

Hope that helps.

i'm probably doing this wrong....BUT i am flying into manchester airport, taking greyhound at like 2:00 AM to hanover where i am crashing in a hotel then checking out later that day to stay with my student host. there is another airport closer to dartmouth called lebanon or something. but when i was looking at flights going to NH, it didn't come up. so i am flying into manchester. this is probably going to be my worse trip yet. two stopovers and then a lovely bus ride through the countryside. yippee

Yes, Hanover is not exactly the easiest place to get to. I just flew into Boston and got a rental car, took me about 2.5 hours to get to Hanover/White River Jct.

More expensive than I wanted, but it worked out the best.

Members don't see this ad :)
Now that has got me wondering how the heck to get to Dartmouth. I know that when I was going up to Vermont from NYC, the train stop was whiteriver jxn. But, I am gonna interview at some upstate NY school (albany + NYMC) before going to Dartmouth, so now I'm really lost on how to get there.

FOR THOSE WHO DRIVED, WAS IT SNOWING? I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA AND WHENEVER IT SNOWS IN THE MOUNTAINS THEY MAKE YOU PUT ON CHAINS FOR YOUR CAR. DO THEY DO THAT AROUND THERE. OR IF ANYONE IS FROM UP AROUND THERE WHO CAN LET ME KNOW, I'D APPRECIATE IT

THANKS

Originally posted by altaskier:
•Now that has got me wondering how the heck to get to Dartmouth. I know that when I was going up to Vermont from NYC, the train stop was whiteriver jxn. But, I am gonna interview at some upstate NY school (albany + NYMC) before going to Dartmouth, so now I'm really lost on how to get there.

FOR THOSE WHO DRIVED, WAS IT SNOWING? I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA AND WHENEVER IT SNOWS IN THE MOUNTAINS THEY MAKE YOU PUT ON CHAINS FOR YOUR CAR. DO THEY DO THAT AROUND THERE. OR IF ANYONE IS FROM UP AROUND THERE WHO CAN LET ME KNOW, I'D APPRECIATE IT

THANKS•••

I'm an undergrad at Dartmouth and it's actually not showing yet (it's been in the 60's all week!) but it's really just a matter of time before there's snow everywhere. If you're going to be in upstate NY and can rent a car, it's really not that bad of a drive (there's a Hanover exit right off Rt. 91 which runs North from New Haven through Springfield, Mass and intersects I-90) if you can deal with snow. Other options would be taking a Greyhound (since there is a stop right at the base of "the Green" on the undergrad campus) or taking the train to WRJ (though I don't know much about it). Hope this helps!

Nerfonothin,

I tried looking for your past post about Dartmouth but came up empty. Was wondering if you could re-post your experience? You could also email it to me at [email protected].

Greatly appreciated

Hey Altaskier-
I have admired your message board name --- doesn't one who skis Alta know how to drive in snow? They have more snow there than any other mountain I ski regularly....

Anyway, I drove from manchester. Renting a car is cheaper than most places (20-30$). If you think of it like taking cabs both ways from the airport, it's not that bad. I think the drive from manchester-hanover is ~80 miles, and in New Hampshire, that means it's an hour away. Flights (Southwest) into Manchester are way cheaper than Beantown, so that's what I'd suggest.

Also, if you are a skier, Dartmouth is one version of paradise. The school is tops and the only complaint people have is that they get bored in the quaint rural setting. These people are not skiers. (There are also complaints about lack of ethnic diversity in patient population, but if you are really worried about that, you can do Brown/Dartmouth joint program.) The hospital is magnificent. The people are really nice. Have a great time!

I was accepted to DMS about a week ago! It is a beautiful place, worth the visit. For those of you who have been accepted, are you going to go to DMS?

Thanks Alice,

I know how to drive in the snow, but was just wondering if I'd have to pull over on the road and put on chains (a hassle if you are arriving late night into an airport and driving in the dark). Just wanted to exactly know what my situation would be. Anyway aside from medical school stuff, what mountain do you ski regularly? I have a 4x4 so when skiing at Alta there really is no need to pull over, unless "interlodge" has been announced (basically when it snows really hard, if you go outside you go to jail!) Then you just turn your car around and go home. I live in California now but I'll be in and out of Alta throughout the year. If you are ever going to be there, let me know. They are doing awesome in terms of snow right now. Their base is 216 inches and conditions, as always, are pure POW WOW!!

Take care,
Altaskier

Hey everyone who has or will interview at Dartmouth,

Are your stats much higher than their reported averages (3.6ish & 30ish)? Considering these numbers, I'm average. I'm anxiously waiting for an invitation. Perhaps they are interviewing the most competitive applicants first? Please help.

Ken,

I'm not going to Dartmouth even though I was accepted. I'm looking to do MD/PhD so WashU makes more sense in my case. But if I was looking to do MD only Dartmouth would be hard to top for me. Are you going to Dartmouth for certain or are you still waiitng to hear from other schools before making a decision?

I didnt realize how selective Dartmouth was until I read the acceptance letter again. 5,500 applicants for 80 slots, thats pretty steep. I'm not sure how many acceptances they actually have to give out in order to get a class size of 80.

Swampman,

My stats are around their averages (31 MCAT, 3.8 GPA).

Found it...

Dartmouth is a way up in rural New Hampshire in a small town called Hanover just on New Hampshire's border with Vermont. The town itself is beautiful. Small colonial houses, lots of churches, with the school seamlessly connected with the rest of the town. Small coffee houses, and family run business dominate. Supposedly there is a town ordinance, which prevents fast food chains from opening up within Hanover. The Connecticut River is two blocks down from the school and has some cool rec stuff going on (rowing, kayaking, fishing). The undergrad and med school campuses are connected. The Dartmouth hospital is amazing and they make it a central selling point for the school. It's arranged sort of like a mall with a long central walkway with doctor's offices and patient corridors coming off the sides. It really doesn't feel like a hospital. There are large windows lining the walkways looking off into the trees, which are all busy changing color at the moment. There's nice carpeting in the non-patient areas, private sleeping quarters for students doing rotations, and even a guy playing piano in the central lobby.

So anyway the interview day… The day started at nine in the morning. There were about 15 of us interviewing and we all congregated in the plush lobby of the admissions office waiting for the director to arrive. Everyone was really nice and very talkative. Most of the people there from the east coast with three or so coming from Dartmouth undergrad although the director told us later that California was the most represented state in the entering class.

Once the director arrived we all piled into a conference room down the hall from the waiting room. We were each asked to introduce ourselves to the group and then the director gave us a quick overview of the school's philosophy, curriculum, and admissions process. She was followed by the financial aide director who told us all about how deeply we were soon going to be in debt.

We were then bused to the medical center (Dartmouth's pride and joy) and given a tour by a third year student. Our tour guide was very friendly and was more than willing to answer questions. She wasn't a part of the admissions committee so some of the most interesting information came from her. (She had time outside of school to coach hockey, disliked the "quiz" (test) in every subject every two weeks, and had had an argument with one of her interviewers at Dartmouth when she was interviewing.) After the tour she had lunch (free!) with us after which it was time for our interviews.

Everyone had two interviews scheduled for half an hour each. About half the group had to take the bus back to the medical school to find their interviewers while the rest of had interviews scheduled in the medical center. My first one was with the chair of the physiology department. He hadn't read my file and simply asked me to tell him about myself. He let me ramble for 15 minutes or so with occasional questions about what I had said or nods. After I was done he asked me a few more questions about things I had said and then invited me to ask him any questions I had. He was friendly and the interview was very low pressure with little to no structure.

My second interview was with a clinical ophthalmology professor. She also had not read my file. She started off by telling me a bit about herself and then asked me to tell her about myself. Again I rambled, she asked a few clarifying questions, and then gave me the opportunity to ask her any questions. Low pressure, friendly, little structure.
The day ended with a tour of the med school itself led by first year student. Overall the day was totally relaxed and painless. I would definitely recommend staying with a student. My hostess and her roommate were fun, informative, and more than gracious (she picked me up from the Greyhound stop at four in the morning).

Hope it's helpful!

I don't know about the laws elsewhere, but in CA you must be 25 years old to rent a car.

Originally posted by none:
•I don't know about the laws elsewhere, but in CA you must be 25 years old to rent a car.•••

Yeah I think it depends on the state. I was 23 at the time when I rented the car, some car rental agencies will let you rent a car if you are over 21. You'll just have to check with each car rental agency.

Even if they do let you rent it if you arent 25 yet, most of them will tack on an "underage" fee, which can amount to double the cost for a person who is 25 or over.