Dartmouth or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

P60001

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking for some advice on whether I should go to Dartmouth to interview or not. I have been accepted to my in-state school (OHSU). I have wanted to go here since I began this expedition to med school, but Dartmouth is a close second. I would like to know if anyone has information on how many out of staters get interviewed and how many get in? I know I would be very pleased at OHSU, but I have never been to Dartmouth. Can anyone give me some objective info on Darmouth?

For those that are curious, I received my invite today (dated 2/1). They offer 3 dates to interview: 2/21, 2/28, or 3/5.

Members don't see this ad.

dartmouth is cool. ivy league, beautiful medical center, p/f block scheduling. i think you should go. the brown/dartmouth program is pretty cool! so i say go if you have the money!

according to my MSAR (2001-2002), Dartmouth gets 6,158 out-of-state applicants and interviews 613. Of these, 51 matriculate. Oh, and according to us news and world reports, a total of 206 students were accepted to fill a 78 person class.

Hope that helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was interviewed and accepted at Dartmouth.

Its in a very rural area so dont expect a lot of metropolitan-like activities. But its probalby the perfect location in the world for a medical student who loves the outdoors. Great skiing is nearby, and of course theres mountain biking, camping, fishing etc in abundance.

The DHMC (medical center) is one of the nicest I've been to.

the cons are that the patient population is not very diverse. You can do the Brown-Dartmouth program where you spend 2 years at Dartmouth and the last 2 years (clinical) in Providence RI. But I applied for the Dartmouth only program. If you interview there they will force you to choose a preference and generally you cant switch from one to the other, so I'd think about it before you go since its a fairly big decision.

One big plus in my opinion is the class size is pretty small (around 90 i think). Should allow for better one on one interaction with professors than the 150-200+ class sizes at some schools.

If you can afford the trip, I would go. Its a great program. I wont be going there, but thats only because I'm applying to MD/PhD programs at other schools. If I was applying only regular MD, theres a strong chance it would be my #1 choice.

If you are truely happy and OHSU is your top choice, which it seems like it is, don't go. There is no point in going. Just kick it and bum around a bit.

Congrats btw

Thanks everyone for you info. I think I may go interview and see what happens.