dartmouth vs. brown-dartmouth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cuillezVJ

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
sorry if this is a repeat. the google search function didn´t bring up much. I´m interviewing at dartmouth in december and trying to decide if i prefer straight D or Brown- dartmouth. Any input? Obviously, the urban RI hospitals are a big factor, but it seems like kind of a waste of moving to hanover to leave before you get to really use their big snazzy hospital. Anyone know about happiness of students/success in the match/quality of ed? Also, anyone know if acceptance rates are higher into one program or the other?

Members don't see this ad.

cuillezVJ said:
sorry if this is a repeat. the google search function didn´t bring up much. I´m interviewing at dartmouth in december and trying to decide if i prefer straight D or Brown- dartmouth. Any input? Obviously, the urban RI hospitals are a big factor, but it seems like kind of a waste of moving to hanover to leave before you get to really use their big snazzy hospital. Anyone know about happiness of students/success in the match/quality of ed? Also, anyone know if acceptance rates are higher into one program or the other?

Dude, they've either terminated the program or are about to. That's what I heard, anyway.

silas2642 said:
Dude, they've either terminated the program or are about to. That's what I heard, anyway.

This is the last year for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've talked to people at Dartmouth who have thought about both programs. I think it really depends on your personality and if you'd be happier in Providence or Hanover. Since Hanover's a small area, DMS students have to do a number of away rotations - even if it's just at the VA Hospital in Concord. I think Brown is a little more flexible in terms of what you can and can't do. Obviously, Brown has a much more urban hospital setting with more diversity of patients and cases. I've heard students joke that the most you see at the Dartmouth ER is tractor accidents. I think both programs are similar in terms of the match process. I guess moving to Providence as a 3rd year could feel lonely. But you'll have a group of people moving with you. Also, it is sometimes possible to change from one program to the other once you're already at Dartmouth, but not a sure thing.

Are you guys sure this is the last year for the Dartmouth-Brown prgm?

Also, the same D vs D/B question was posed in the Allopathic forum.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=231927

Here is my question, and sd's response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funshine
What do you guys think about the Dartmouth/Brown program? People are telling me how important it is to gain exposure to a variety of cases/patients during 3rd and 4th year, and how I just won't get that at a rural, homogeneous location like Dartmouth. I know I can do away rotations 4th year at just about any school, but that might not be enough.

So, maybe it'd be better to spend the 3rd and 4th years in Providence, where the hospitals have slightly more diversity? I wonder how many people get accepted into the Dart/Brown program. I'd think most people would rather spend the last two years in Providence...

i don't know what people mean when they talk about "variety" and "diversity" of cases at urban hospitals vs. rural hospitals. sure, at DMS you probably won't see half a dozen HIV+ women with >5 kids during morning rounds, and you may not get 3 gunshot wounds during the same ER shift. how "diverse" is that, anyway? you're still seeing a lot of the same stuff ad nauseum, its just different stuff, you know? at a place like dartmouth, because they're such a large referral center, you'll see a ton of different pathology--the only thing that's different is the social ills that you'll get less of (IV drug users, STDs, etc). if the social ills associated with urban living and the lower levels of the socio-economic scheme are what you're looking for in a hospital, then your decision is pretty much "don't go to dartmouth".

also, i usually ask people who are applying to the Dartmouth-Brown program why they aren't just applying to brown instead. if you want the whole urban hospital deal, why bother spending 2 years up in the woods at DMS just to have to move and make new friends again as a third year?

just my random $0.02

sd

Originally Posted by funshine
fair enough, but do you think residency directors would feel the same way? If you want a residency at a city hospital, doesn't it make sense that you should also get your clinical training in a city? Or not? I mean, I'm just a premed here. Every school tells me something different at their interview and I believe it for the day. I don't think patient diversity at Hanover is an issue that you can just dismiss...thats why Dartmouth kept emphasizing (in their DVD) that many students went away for clerkships.

i think it depends on why you want to do a residency at a city hospital. if you want that so that you can ultimately be an urban/metro physician, then of course it makes sense to train in a city hospital. if you're asking me if residency directors put a red "x" on DMS med student applications because they didn't work in the ghetto, well, i dunno. i'm not that far yet. it may be a small, but not likely a deciding factor in the residency app process. i think they emphasize that stuff in the DVD to assuage the fears of applicants like you more than to say "we realize our clinical training is deficient--but you can go somewhere else to fill in the gaps." i mean, the dvd is just a marketing tool, and since they recognize that some students will question DMS's clinical training, they address it.

seriously, just do whatever you want. i'm not here to sell dartmouth to anyone. if you'd rather do your clinical years in providence, then the B-D program (or just going to brown) is probably your best option. for the purposes of this thread, i was only intending to say that dartmouth's "reputation" is just fine. i'm not trying to persuade anyone to actually go there---for god's sake, i didn't even go there!

good luck with your apps.

im really looking forward to interviewing at dartmouth next week. diversity is overrated, id love to be somewhere that is actually socially healthy, its almost unheard of