Dartmouth vs Case Western vs Emory

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

back2skewl

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I'm so grateful to have these options, but now the decision feels daunting. I don't expect to receive significant financial aid, so I'm assuming the cost will be similar between all of the schools. A little about me, I love the outdoors, I'm a non-trad student, I hope to practice primary care (probably internal medicine) in a rural area. I'd love any insight!

Dartmouth:
Pros:
1. The rural setting
2. Away rotations years 3/4 years (AI reservations, Alaska, California)
3. Only 1.5 years of preclinical courses
Cons:
1. The first two years are going to be in a super white & wealthy area
2. I've heard that Hanover/Dartmouth can feel WASPy

Case Western
Pros:
1. Case-based learning
2. Family in Ohio
3. Infrequent exams
Cons:
1. Larger class size

Emory
Pros:
1. Opportunities with the CDC next door
2. Good global health initiatives
3. Diverse clinical sites in Atlanta area
Cons:
1. Not many connections/family/friends in the area

Members don't see this ad.

If you don't mind the cold, Dartmouth is in a beautiful area for outdoor activities. The other two, not so much!

Reactions: 1 user
Case Western is definitely the highest ranked out of all your options and would open the doors for competitive specialties. But if you love the outdoors and are interested in rural primary care, then Dartmouth is the place for you. I interviewed there for fellowship. It is very remote. Hanover is wealthy but it's a relatively small town. Lebanon and the surrounding towns do not appear wealthy at all. There will definitely be some Waspy people/students in Hanover around the undergraduate campus. However in the towns surrounding Dartmouth-Hitchcock, it is mostly white people but I would say of lower socioeconomic status. There are many hiking opportunities available to you and if you're into winter sports as well. If you're truly interested in rural primary care, go to Dartmouth.

Reactions: 2 users
Emory is the highest ranked and proximity to the CDC could provide unique opportunities you won’t get elsewhere in the country. However, if you are set on rural health then go Dartmouth. All awesome schools so congrats. Can’t go wrong with any of them, it’s just a matter of what your priorities are and what you want to be exposed to as a student for the most part

Members don't see this ad :)
Tough choice! Emory seems like the top program on reputation and opportunities, but the nice thing about Dartmouth is that you can set yourself to do aways for most of MS3-4. If you're set on rural medicine, there's no comparison. However, as I recall Dartmouth is one of the most expensive programs out there, right? With your interest in primary care, I would imagine keeping a low debt burden would be priority #1 between 3 excellent programs. Congrats.

Case Western all day. Can't beat the small group curriculum, true pass/fail, longitudinal Step 1 exam prep, and resources of Cleveland clinic. The new building so beautiful.
But you could give up your A so I can go there! hehe

If you're set on rural and you like outdoor winter activities, I'd choose Dartmouth. If you aren't set on rural, I'd probably choose Case. Wow, what choices!

Hey! I am also choosing between Case Western and Emory. Having a lot of trouble. With Emory, I prefer location, weather, access to CDC/public health related opportunities. With Case, the prestige of Cleveland Clinic is a big draw. As someone from the East Coast, I'm trying to figure out which school provides better opportunities to match back into the area. It's tough! So tough. Let me know when you decide!

Reactions: 1 users
Yet another neurotic discussion about "rankings" that reflect no reality whatsoever. Geisel, Case, and Emory are all fantastic schools wth unique opportunities you won't find at each other's respective programs. Historically, Case would probably be the best known for its research, but that isn't a focus for op anyways.

Based on your situation and values, it seems that you lean more toward Case (for friends/family) or Emory (for diversity and opportunities at the CDC). i would reflect on what's most important to you over the next couple months, and go where your gut tells you. You will likely be very happy and successful at any place you choose, so know that you can't go wrong here.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey! I am also choosing between Case Western and Emory. Having a lot of trouble. With Emory, I prefer location, weather, access to CDC/public health related opportunities. With Case, the prestige of Cleveland Clinic is a big draw. As someone from the East Coast, I'm trying to figure out which school provides better opportunities to match back into the area. It's tough! So tough. Let me know when you decide!
You will match very well in the east coast at either school, provided you work hard. it sounds like you prefer Emory. Just go to both revisits, and see if that changes based on what you learn/feel.