Dartmouth Vs. Case Western

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ama4

ToFreedom
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please help me decide.

Is Case Western worth 100k more debt?
Major differences between these schools for me is Money and Location!

Dartmouth
PROS
  • They gave me all the loan I needed as a non-citizen
  • Gave me a scholarship
  • Been way more friendly and receptive to my financial stressors
  • Ivy League reputation
CONS
  • Middle of Nowhere :?
  • lower ranked
  • Lacking in diversity
  • Away rorations
  • New Curriculum
Case Western
PROS
- Higher Ranked
-Amazing Match
-Better city, especially as a URM; better dating, friendship, activity prospects
-New building

CONS
-No Scholarship because of my status, makes me feel somewhat undervalued
-Have to secure all my loans myself

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Dartmouth's matchlist is pretty phenomenal too. Their studetns tend to go to fantastic programs. Ultimately, Darmtouth won't stop you from getting where you want to go, and you're saving a fat stack of $$$. The only thing left to consider is whether you can enjoy four years in an very rural area. You'll be able to make weekend trips to Boston (~1.5 hours) from time to time, but are you a hiker? Are you a skiier? Do you like doing outdoorsy things? Because people in the Hanover area don't just do outdoorsy things -- it's their lifestyle.

Edit: I'd choose Dartmouth if I were between the two.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks everyone. I'm about to start hiking and skiing haha

Reactions: 7 users
CONS

Can you get these loans? Is it just that you have to get it yourself or is it that you can't get them?

I think you should probably go to Dartmouth, but I think your cons for Dartmouth are legitimate

CONS

Can you get these loans? Is it just that you have to get it yourself or is it that you can't get them?

I think you should probably go to Dartmouth, but I think your cons for Dartmouth are legitimate

I can get these loans privately, would it be worth it?

Honestly, Case is just a stronger name in medicine. More research opportunities, phenomenal match list, and obviously it's nice that you get to not live in the wilderness. Dartmouth is great too, don't get me wrong. But Case is just a little better I think...but, I mean, Dartmouth does network very well with NE programs.

That being said, if the cost difference is very substantial, it would change the calculation. If you were considering a top tier school (Columbia, Cornell, NWestern, Yale, etc.)...I would say to bite the bullet and go. But Case isn't quite that high up there.

Idk though, close call! Congrats on the two awesome choices!

Reactions: 1 user