Dartmouth vs. Downstate vs. Rochester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Downstate vs Dartmouth vs Rochester

• SUNY Downstate

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • Dartmouth

Votes: 20 37.7%
  • University of Rochester

Votes: 23 43.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Vanya

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a non-trad who's very happy to have been accepted into a couple of schools. I'm choosing between Dartmouth, SUNY Downstate, and U of Rochester, and I am stuck. I'm revisiting all three, but in advance of that, I'd love to have the opinions of others who interviewed, and of current students there. In terms of specialty, I imagine I'll end up doing internal or family, but I want to go into medical school open-minded.

Downstate - I'm a NY resident, but even more in Downstate's favor is that I live in Brooklyn and I love it here, have my friends and "support network" and have a hard time imagining living anywhere else in the U.S. In Downstate's disfavor is what seems like gritty program where you're kind of on your own. Maybe less reputable a program? Also a large class size compared to Rochester and Dartmouth, which contributes to my overall feeling that I would get lost there, wouldn't have mentors to support me...

Dartmouth - kind of a perfect fit for my interests, especially in international medicine. Hanover and the region are very pretty, but more for a week-long visit as opposed to four years of life? Nice small class size, I like, but I don't like that those are probably the only friends you have while there. The most reputable of my group?

Rochester - I liked this school the best. Great students, nice, smart, interesting. Clearly an administration that cares. Had a fantastic student interviewer. Also I grew up in Rochester and my parents still there, and my brother is nearby in Buffalo. A reputable program too. But having grown up in Rochester, I know its limits as a city. It's doesn't have the quaintness and community of Brooklyn, or the natural beauty of New Hampshire.

In brief, my internal raging debate. Thanks for your thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

Agreed. This is a personal decision. You seem to be leaning anyways, so Rochester I say. Either way you will get an excellent education.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed. This is a personal decision. You seem to be leaning anyways, so Rochester I say. Either way you will get an excellent education.

I voted Dartmouth because it seems like a better choice than Downstate. I work in Rochester and I don't particularly like it, so I am biased.

But it sounds like Rochester might be your best option out of the three. I don't imagine that Hanover, NH is more happening than Rochester. Plus, you will be closer to family.

In my opinion, I think Rochester is your best choice anyways. The match list this year was amazing, and Rochester probably has a lot more to offer you now that you're a little older. Obviously, it's not what you'd get going to Downstate, but it's definitely better than Hanover and there's really no comparison in the quality of the programs between UR and Downstate.

I'm a 2nd year student at Rochester, so if you have any specific questions, let me know!

i mean if you are gonna do internal or family, i just dont see why you would pay more to go to something other than downstate, which seemed like a pretty great program to me.

i'm having the same issue, just throw albany in there! and it's funny that the top 2 were roch and dartmouth bc those are the two i think i'm really deciding betweekn. are you going to either 2nd look weekends? pm me...

i'm having the same issue, just throw albany in there! and it's funny that the top 2 were roch and dartmouth bc those are the two i think i'm really deciding betweekn. are you going to either 2nd look weekends? pm me...

Throw Albany in the mix? Really?

How about just cross Albany off the list. No offense to anyone, but Albany does not hold a candle to these schools (unless they have a pile of money for you).

Hi all,

Downstate - I'm a NY resident, but even more in Downstate's favor is that I live in Brooklyn and I love it here, have my friends and "support network" and have a hard time imagining living anywhere else in the U.S. .

I didn't apply/interview at downstate, but it's cheaper, great location and respectable.

Status
Not open for further replies.