Dartmouth vs. Loyola vs. Georgetown vs. UIC vs. Rush

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HybridEarth

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
EDIT: Mods, please move to the School Specific forum!! thank you and I'm sorry

Hi guys,

First, thank you to everyone, especially the ADCOMs, who have given me any sort of feedback or constructive criticism on this website. It really helped out this cycle and I was accepted to 10 schools. Right now, I have it narrowed down to these 5, and I am getting increasingly stressed about this decision that I'm going to have to make in a month. Warning: this is going to be a long post, but I'm only doing it because I want to get things right. These schools are the main ones that really won me over on interview day, but I'm having a very difficult time balancing out the fine details that may or may not matter. I can say with > 95% confidence that my professional goal is to become one of the top in a surgical specialty with a large focus on the development of novel techniques and procedures, and ultimately reporting outcomes and whatnot. I want to also practice in a diverse metropolitan environment, hopefully near family. My parents don't have money to support me, and I already have 50k in loans. I have not heard about any financial aid packages and have not negotiated money anywhere. For what it's worth, I'm split 50/50 between Loyola and Dartmouth, but I left a few of the next runner-ups in case someone has anything interesting to add. Here we go:

Dartmouth (Geisel)
PROS:

High Step 1 average
More involvement in clinicals relative to other schools
Top-notch match list (see it over the past few years here)
~85 class size
Pass/Fail curriculum, integrated with PBL, and supposedly teaches much more strongly to step 1
Clinical exposure/preceptorships during M1 and M2
Name-brand (Ivy League) really catches my attention
Quiet area / no distractions
Urban Health Scholars program
Can do clinical rotations at UCSF-affiliates
Seem to fit well with their mission
No limits on what I can do professionally
Low cost of living
Students seem happy
Tight-knit community of people
85% of students receive scholarship (140k avg. indebtedness)

CONS:
Rural area and the transition to it (e.g. I've been a commuter from home my whole life)
FAR away from family, friends, dog
Can't go to concerts
Most expensive tuition
Limited patient demographics
Very outdoorsy-type people
Small community (friends, dating, etc.)
Financially "in the red"; have heard that the school spent more money than they earned?
Barely anyone matching in the Midwest area

Loyola Stritch
PROS:

Cura personalis and mission statement
Near family, friends dog
Working with desired patient demographics (Chicagoland)
Very impressive facilities, all renovated within the past couple of years (hands down the most impressive facilities of this interview cycle)
The fitness center is a 1-2 minute walk down the hall from classrooms, and its amazing.
Students seem very happy
Pre-dissected bodies for anatomy lab
Good match list and has home neurosurg/ortho programs
Loyola Medicine is a name brand for the Chicagoland area
Felt great about the school after interview day
Can go to concerts with friends (big music fan)
Alma-mater
Food and supplies can be easily sent from home

CONS:
Traditional grading for pre-clinical years
Not much, if any, clinical exposure pre-clinically
More expensive cost of living
Maywood is an unsafe area depending on where you live
165 class size, bigger than I'd prefer

Georgetown
PROS:

Beautiful location
Diverse patient demographics
Preclinical exposure
Longitudinal research thesis
Mission statement
Many match into orthopaedics
Name-brand to some extent

CONS:
200 class size
No idea how students feel about the school... couldn't even tell if students were happy or not
Graded pre-clinical years
Very expensive cost of living
Unimpressive facilities

UIC (state school)
PROS:

Cheapest tuition
Pass/Fail curriculum
Tons of research (at least at Chicago)
Solid match list especially for a state school
High average Step 1 scores since their curriculum transformation
Several colleagues go there already between M1 and M4
Numerous opportunities to customize your experience based on your professional goals (research, global health, etc.)

CONS:
> 200 class size
Was not offered Chicago placement, even though this was perhaps the main reason I applied
Felt OK about the school after interview day; not blown away, not disappointed
Overall, unhappy with living in Rockford/Peoria/Urbana for four years
Have to take full cost of attendance in loans ($60k/year).

Rush
PROS:

125 class size
Very strong residency programs at the home institution (ortho, neuro, neurosurg, primary care)
Honors/pass/fail
Students seem very happy
Near family, friends, dog
Ideal living location
Diverse patient demographics = many disease mechanisms I wouldn't see elsewhere
Stroger hospital (level 1 trauma), the safety net of Chicago healthcare
High emphasis on outcomes based research
Brand new hospital
Rush has a very strong name in the Chicagoland area
Can go to concerts with friends

CONS:
More expensive cost of living
Lower Step1 Scores relative to others on this list
Historically OK match list
Unsafe area depending on where you live

Thank you all so much. Please help me make the best decision. I don't really have any family or friends that are pursuing medicine, so their advice isn't very helpful aside from the obvious things.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Based on your descriptions, it looks like there are a lot of different (and some overlapping) things you like about Dartmouth and Loyola. In my opinion, the one con of Loyola that seems in any way significant is the traditional grading while I see two pretty big cons for Dartmouth: the cost and the distance from home, combined with, as you said, people not matching to the midwest (although this could certainly happen).

Since Loyola is close to home and cheaper tuition wise, I would lean there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I vote Loyola. You sound like you would be the happiest there, especially with the close family ties and support system. Even though the preclinical years are graded, I feel like being "happier" in all other areas would be a big help. Plus if you want to try and stay in that area, seems like it would make sense to establish connections in Chicago for your 4 years of med school.

Just my 0.02

Thank you both!!! I totally understand and largely agree with your statements. Here's the thing: maybe I will be happier at Dartmouth even though I will be away from family. I mean all in all, I barely saw my family during undergrad even though I commuted from home because I was working or in research/class at least 15 hours of each day. I simply do not want to close any doors or limit my professional aspirations. Do you guys think there is a difference in Dartmouth vs. Loyola in regards to my professional goals (e.g., being a renowned clinician/innovator)?

I agree with much of what you wrote.

Three comments re athletic facilities, demographics, and the match.

Although I've never visited Loyola's athletic facilities, take a look at Dartmouth's .

http://dartmouthsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=11600&ATCLID=590342

It's an amazing facility, probably one of the best in the Ivy League.

It's also less than a 5 minute walk from the medical school.

Hanover is demographically much less diverse than Chicago.

Nonetheless, Dartmouth-Hitchcock draws patients from throughout northern New England, from a variety of socioeconomic backgrounds.

It's the destination tertiary hospital for many people.

They have an extensive community outreach program.

It's difficult to imagine that your clinical training will be negatively impacted.

Re the match, I suspect that the lack of matches to the midwest reflects student preferences...~1/2 of the class are from NY, MA and CA.

Good luck, and congratulations on your hard work.

I agree with much of what you wrote.

Three comments re athletic facilities, demographics, and the match.

Although I've never visited Loyola's athletic facilities, take a look at Dartmouth's .

http://dartmouthsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=11600&ATCLID=590342

It's an amazing facility, probably one of the best in the Ivy League.

It's also less than a 5 minute walk from the medical school.

Hanover is demographically much less diverse than Chicago.

Nonetheless, Dartmouth-Hitchcock draws patients from throughout northern New England, from a variety of socioeconomic backgrounds.

It's the destination tertiary hospital for many people.

They have an extensive community outreach program.

It's difficult to imagine that your clinical training will be negatively impacted.

Re the match, I suspect that the lack of matches to the midwest reflects student preferences...~1/2 of the class are from NY, MA and CA.

Good luck, and congratulations on your hard work.

Thank you for your very insightful post. Wow, I had no idea they had so much on campus for fitness!! And definitely being around sports (hockey, football especially) would be great. Additionally, I am happy to hear that it draws people from throughout the Northeast, another thing I was not aware of. I will definitely be attending second look day, where I hope to get a faculty's perspective as to whether or not their faculty can help me match back into the Chicagoland area for residency. I really do love Dartmouth, and I think their very fast turnaround time after my interview makes me think they know I'll be a great fit there as well. Thank you again! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Well if you like hockey then I've heard that NHL team in Chicago has had a lot of success recently :p

In all seriousness, I'm not knowledgeable about the specific academic and clinical qualities of either school, but I think you'll be happy at either one. I still think the proximity to family and the cheaper cost are hard to beat.

From reading your pros and cons, I think having a strong support system is very worthwhile and going to a school in Chicago would be great for you. Whether it be Loyola, Rush, or UIC, I'm sure you know their reputations in the area and can gauge what kind of environment you'd like to learn in. Rush had a more urban environment than Loyola and everyone seemed extremely happy to be there.

I personally would choose being close to home as one of my top factors because it's nice to visit family/friends and it wouldn't be difficult to go back home for the holidays (tran$portation). You wouldn't be able to go back home often if you went to Dartmouth and you would be missing out on activities you enjoy (concerts, catching up with friends, etc). If seeing a diverse set of patients is important to you, Chicago is great for that too. Also, I heard that living in Hanover can be a bit pricey because pretty much everyone in the town goes to Dartmouth. As for Step1, I think in the end it might boil down to how well you prep/study for it but, I could be wrong since I am not in medical school yet. I'm sure every school has resources and prep available for their students to utilize. In my opinion, I would go to the school where the family is nearby and the cheaper tuition costs are. Moving to a different state is such a pain.

match lists are worthless for comparing schools fyi. I'd go with loyola, dartmouth close second.