Dartmouth vs. Pitt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which school and why?

• Dartmouth

Votes: 14 19.4%
  • Pitt

Votes: 58 80.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

youwinle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am deciding over the two schools, and it really gives me a hard time. I am interested in some research as well as global health. I've been in a small school in the middle of nowhere for four years already and kinda looking for a change. But I also like mountains, outdoor, etc. any advice here? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

you may also consider the cost of living in hanover vs pittsburgh...pitt wins.

Members don't see this ad :)
Research and global health? Pitt. It is definitely a big change from the middle of nowhere (I grew up in the middle of nowhere) but it's not a huge, daunting city either. Oakland has this small neighborhood feel while still being urban. You can still do outdoorsy things here too - locally we have several large parks (one just bordering the Oakland campus) and you can drive a bit out of the city for skiing, mountains, white water rafting, and I'm sure many other things.

I interviewed at both schools. Eventually I got into my top choice so I'm withdrawing from both.

What does your financial aid look like? Dartmouth has great financial aid. Pitt seemed...not so great in this department. For me, research and overall 'prestige' goes to Pitt. Environment and happiness went to Dartmouth hands down. I think you could get a global health thing going at either school. Campus and area totally went to Dartmouth. Feel of the school was also in Dartmouth's favor.

If I was accepted to both with a equal financial burden, I would totally go with Dartmouth. Which is something to consider if you are this torn. All things being equal - follow the money.

Edit: Don't stress yourself out over this - you are accepted to two great schools. It is good to have such a dilemma.

Last edited:
I interviewed at both schools. Eventually I got into my top choice so I'm withdrawing from both.

What does your financial aid look like? Dartmouth has great financial aid. Pitt seemed...not so great in this department. For me, research and overall 'prestige' goes to Pitt. Environment and happiness went to Dartmouth hands down. I think you could get a global health thing going at either school. Campus and area totally went to Dartmouth. Feel of the school was also in Dartmouth's favor.

If I was accepted to both with a equal financial burden, I would totally go with Dartmouth. Which is something to consider if you are this torn. All things being equal - follow the money.

Edit: Don't stress yourself out over this - you are accepted to two great schools. It is good to have such a dilemma.

Dartmouth does give me a better financial deal and i had a better feel with the ppl there. But i just found it hard to ignore the rankings.

Dartmouth does give me a better financial deal and i had a better feel with the ppl there. But i just found it hard to ignore the rankings.

I wouldn't use rankings to make a decision like this. Rankings are a good indication of the opportunities available at the school, but they aren't there to replace your own feeling of fit with a school. I was accepted to Pitt and will be attending, so I obviously liked the school, but if you think you would rather be at Dartmouth and the only thing stopping you is rankings, I would go with Dartmouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.