Dartmouth vs. Rochester vs. OHSU???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zab79

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am incredibly indecisive, and I'm lucky enough to have these three great options about where to spend the next 4 years. Since they've all decided that I only get loan money, that's not really a factor. Any thoughts on strengths, weaknesses, etc? Any current students with info/thoughts on residency options, hands-on preparedness, exposure to the human side of medicine?

Thanks so much! This is going to be a touch wekk and a half!

Members don't see this ad.

I would go to Dartmouth just for the undergrad Ivy name. Besides that I also like the location. I am not help to you though, hopefully others can help.

Hmm, that's a toughie. Here are some points to consider:

- Dartmouth's name is recognized by the lay public because it's an Ivy. In the world of medicine, however, it's on par with schools in the top 20-40 range. It's definetely not an "Ivy" in the medical world. Then again, neither are the other two.

- Dartmouth has tons of outdoors stuff and their own skiing mountain. If that's important for you, then Dartmouth is amazing.

- I presonally liked everything about Dartmouth except that their facilities are a bit outdated and that they don't get much variety of pathology. If you want lots of emergency medicine, gun shot wounds, that sort of thing, you won't really get it at Dartmough.

- Rochester has perhaps one of the best curriculums. They integrate their clinical and basic science years. Awesome.

- It's really, really cold in Rochester and there's tons and tons of snow.

- I don't know much about OHSU except that it's in Ohio. :D

Good luck!! All great choices!!

Quid

By the way, you might want to PM ZekeMD about Rochester - he's going there next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your replies, y'all... Please keep 'em coming!

I really liked them all, with Rochester's curriculum being the best in my mind, Dartmouth having the name recognition and the location, and Oregon being in Portland. My partner's in the organic farming field, so I also want her to have opportunities... Jeepers this is tough! Thanks for your help!

zach

I know Dartmouth has an organic farm - don't know much about it though

quideam said:
- I don't know much about OHSU except that it's in Ohio. :D

It's sort of funny that the only thing you know about OHSU is wrong. :D

sacrament said:
It's sort of funny that the only thing you know about OHSU is wrong. :D
HAHAHAHAH asdfasdfasdf

I'm biased, keep that in mind as you're reading. I would go to Rochester if I were you. I am originally from the Rochester area and it's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Yes, it's cold...but so is Hanover, NH. That being said, Hanover is tiny. Rochester isn't huge, but there's definately a ton more to do there than at Dartmouth. If you're a country person and thinking you don't want to live in a city, just remember that you can drive 10 miles south of the school and get all the cowpastures you could ever dream of (just like in Hanover).

Yes, Dartmouth has a good name. But Rochester does also in the medical community. You will have equal opportunities graduating from both places. I think you should choose the school where you felt most comfortable and the one that fits your learning style (ie curriculum). Rochester has a great curriculum. I don't think anyone will argue with me there. Whether or not it's right for you, you'll have to figure that one out. Let me know if you choose Rochester. If so, I'll see you in August.

-Zeke

zab79 said:

I really liked them all, with Rochester's curriculum being the best in my mind, Dartmouth having the name recognition and the location, and Oregon being in Portland. My partner's in the organic farming field, so I also want her to have opportunities... Jeepers this is tough! Thanks for your help!

zach

Dartmouth the med school's rep is probably on par with the other two, so I wouldnt pick one of them on the name. Think about where you'd like to practice, clinicals, location.

quideam said:
- It's really, really cold in Rochester and there's tons and tons of snow.

That's only true for 9 months out of the year. ;) No, really, the weather isn't that bad here.

zab79 said:
hands-on preparedness, exposure to the human side of medicine?

This is where I believe Rochester surpasses all other med schools. Their Double Helix curriculum is amazing and, having recently spoke to a few members of the Curriculum Committee, I know that they are constantly fine-tuning it according to what students say works and does not work...a world of difference from some other schools whose curriculum hasn't changed for decades.

U of Rochester is much more well regarded than the other schools (Even Dartmouth). However Dartmouth has better recognition with the lay people. Rochester has a lot more to do than Dartmout and has an airport so you can get out of town easile (Jetblue to NYC for $50 each way!). They have similar climates (beautiful summers, not so beautiful late fall, winter, and early spring.

One thing you should definitely consider is the number of residency slots that each school has. Rochester has residencies in almost every specialty, Dartmouth does not. While not crutial, if you decide to do Radiology, Derm, etc then it's helpful to have your school with a strong department for letters and even a backup if you want to leave Rochester/Hanover, etc.

I would choose 1) Rochester 2) Dartmouth 3) OHSU

zab79 said:

zach

I'm sure you've seen this before

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~opo/organicfarm/

I worked there a little bit during my undergrad at D. Nice place.

musicman1991 said:
U of Rochester is much more well regarded than the other schools (Even Dartmouth).

I call BS on that one. Both schools have similar reputations. Roch is in no way "much more well regarded." By the way, there's also an airport at Dartmouth.

DMS is very well thought of in the Northeast, and plenty of students choose to go to Boston and NYC for residency. If you're from the west coast, DMS also matches a few people every year into Stanford and UCSF. Both schools are great, you can't go wrong with either one. The Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center is a great place to learn. As I've been told by 4th years, scut work is non-existant and they let you do a lot, so you'll be very well trained for residency. They also said the name does carry some weight.

assesment scores by residency directors:

Dartmouth - 3.7
Rochester - 3.5

Peer assesment scores:

Dartmouth - 3.4
Rochester - 3.5

I'm making the same decision between Rochester and Dartmouth. It's a tough decision because I'm equally as indecisive, plus I'm relying on a lot of second hand knowledge. But I honestly don't think that you can make a bad choice. For what it's worth I have friends at both schools and they are all really happy with their schools. This is how I've been thinking about it...

I think Rochester is great for international medicine (apparently it's pretty easy to get grants for international research projects for the summer after your first year), great curriculum/getting involved with patients earlier, and they have lots of volunteer opportunities. Plus it's P/F. According to one of my friends, they do a really good job at helping you manage the huge amounts of information you're given by clearly emphasizing what is essential.

Dartmouth is a more traditional curriculum and you're tested more frequently than Rochester. It's H/P/F, but supposedly structured so that everyone could get Honors. I think it's a very personal medical school because it's so small you get to know everyone. I also like the fact that they encourage you to go away for clerkships and it's helpful that they have housing at the away sites. Even though Dartmouth may not be a very highly ranked medical school, I think it is still well-respected in the medical community. I work at Mass General now and the doctors I work with all have high opinions of Dartmouth. They actually recommend going to Dartmouth and say I shouldn't have trouble getting a competitive residency, and that it's such a small school that the alumni are pretty tight and network well. Granted this is the opinion of only a handful of physicians.

That being said, I am leaning towards Dartmouth. I think Rochester might be a better fit for me, but I'd like to stay closer to my friends and family who are mostly in Boston. I'm not sure it is a good idea to choose a school based on proximity to my family/friends, so I'm still deciding. Not much time left though!